Power Steering Hoses 2011 Camry

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I'll be changing out the hoses soon after April 1.

Toyota hoses are spendy. Are there any aftermarket hoses that you'd recommend? I'd like to make a decision on the hoses this week, if possible. I'm not averse to spending the $$, but I don't see the hoses as a critical part, so a good quality aftermarket may be just fine.

Aftermarket hoses are fine. They tend to last about as long as the original from my experience. It's not like an alternator or something of similar complexity.

I use Sunsong almost exclusively and never had any problem with the fit, finish or corrosion issues. Some older Saab hoses are no longer available OE but if they were are well over $300 the $50 Sunsong have been fine for the last 6 years.

I just did my Impala last summer, I used Edelmann and have used them before with zero issues both in fit and durability.

I can’t remember the last time I warrantied out an aftermarket power steering hose/line for eventual failure. So I think a decent quality aftermarket hose is fine. If you’re worried about it most aftermarket hoses sold at auto parts stores have lifetime warranty.

Most warranties are customer installation issues or it’s the wrong one and they didn’t realize til after they connected one end already so we can’t new return it.

I use Sunsong almost exclusively and never had any problem with the fit, finish or corrosion issues. Some older Saab hoses are no longer available OE but if they were are well over $300 the $50 Sunsong have been fine for the last 6 years.
I will say that the Sunsongs are not always “pre-bent” like OE. For the price difference, I guess I’ll deal with it…but it’s still frustrating.

1680135970431.jpeg

1680135996572.jpeg

Just one example. Getting all of the brackets to bolt up (and thus bending the hose) was a real joy in that spot.

Will be replacing the hoses on a 2000 Camry (4 cylinder) at some point hopefully this year. It's leaking from someplace (although not much) and will be using the aftermarket hoses, but parts availability has been an issue. And yes these cars supposedly have cracked reservoir issues.

but parts availability has been an issue

There's a way to re-use the fittings and re-crimp new hose to them, but good luck finding anyone that can do it (at least around here). I've heard that hydraulic hose shops can do it, but most automotive power steering hoses use "beadlock" fittings (which were originally designed for barrier-style AC hose) and they require special fittings and crimp tools that most hydraulic hose shops do not have.

You can try putting a regular crimp fitting on, but the shallow hose barbs used on beadlock style fittings will eventually allow the hose to slip off unless the ferrule is locked into grooves on the fitting. Regular crimp fittings don't lock into those grooves.

There are replacement beadlock ferrules that do lock into the groove on the fitting.

These beadlock style fittings have also been seen on oil and transmission cooler hoses. Wouldn't be one bit surprised if they were being used for coolant hoses, too.

I'll be changing out the hoses soon after April 1.

Toyota hoses are spendy. Are there any aftermarket hoses that you'd recommend? I'd like to make a decision on the hoses this week, if possible. I'm not averse to spending the $$, but I don't see the hoses as a critical part, so a good quality aftermarket may be just fine.
with all this talk about aftermarket hoses not pre-bent.. I went looking, and sunsong IS prebent for the reservoir to pump hose. Here's the part number SUNSONG 3404449
also.. sunsong (as discussed earlier in other posts) bought out a supplier to GM in Moraine, Ohio. They had partnered with them then bought them out. So yes I'd say it's good quality, I have some of their brake hoses, great quality!
$22 at Summit Racing.. ships from the manufacturer (always nice)

Today the power steering hose was installed. I purchase the Sunsong 3402219 assembly. Turned out to be a perfect fit. It's made of steel tubing with "rubber" ends.

1682379631351.jpeg

It cost about $20.00 and was considerably less expensive than the Toyota hose. I'm happy, and wish to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions, especially those who recommended (even with a caveat) the Sunsong item.

Back