Power steering delete?

Hello,
We have a Honda Odyssey 2004 with 157k miles. Body is in bad shape, suspension is so so, but engine and transmission are healthy. It's kind of our beater. It has a bad power steering leak. Got several estimates from several shops around and all if them seem riping to me, one shop estimates the cost is around $500 to $600 with I'm sure some crap chinese parts.
Anyway, I don't feel like spending that much on it.
And due to lacking of a garage living to condo I have no place or even time to tear it up myself. Seems it needs high pressure hose and and a possibility of a leak from the pump itself.
Back in my youth days, I had a power steering leak in a Toyota and I had a power steering delete. I don't know what that involved but apart from the heavy steering wheel it was drivable and fine to use.

Is there a way to disable the system? Remove the belt? Or what's the easiest way to do it?

Thanks

You don’t want to drive a minivan size car without power steering. It’s not an optional add on the car was designed to drive with power steering. I don’t even think you would even have a safe handling vehicle without it so spend the money on a new rack.

You cannot safely delete the power steering due to the way the steering or rack & pinion is geared. You would never be able to steer the vehicle effectively in an emergency situation. It has nothing to do with vehicle size, it's a gearing issue.

Not possible. You’d need a manual rack, which they don’t make for that car.

Remove the belt and do a test drive in a safe place. Good luck.

I mean, this is 100% what I'd do, especially if it's a beater and you don't *really* care how it handles. It might get real weird at highway speeds. Without the pump it may have a tendency to try and jerk the wheel out of your hands. All you can do is try. Depending on where the leak is it might keep leaking for a while.

It'll probably be pretty difficult to turn at low speeds. You've got practically the entire weight of the engine and transmission over the front wheels on that big girl.

I see. Thanks for all the replies.
Due to how great if a vehicle it is (heavy duty machine) I think I'll collect the parts and fix it.

Those are super solid vehicles. i watched ours get totaled with everyone in it but me, and they all walked away from it. I drove the crumpled mess for a week before insurance got sorted out, and while the side was caved in, it drove like it was new.

without the hydraulics, the on-center handling will also be as loose as a goose, since the direct connection goes through a torsion spring in the fluid valve.

you’re making the right call in my opinion.

Sometimes, the hose can be replaced and the fittings re-used. Takes some ingenuity, but it can often be done successfully. The crimp on the outside can be cut off with a hacksaw. A hydraulic shop can install new crimps.

Lost an alternator once so I limped home the 2 miles with no belt. Once moving it wasn't so bad, but nearly lost it while turning into the driveway--I had forgotten in that span just how heavy the steering was...

I've heard of doing power to manual swaps but this is a heavy vehicle and I don't think anything like it was available w/o power steering. And I think it may be a liability the first time someone tries to drive it w/o knowing about this mod--or does but manages to forget about it. IMO if it's not worth fixing then maybe it's time for it to go bye-bye.

Back