Power steering flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Toyota Camry power steering fluid looks pretty dirty. In order to flush out the system does the car need to be running? Or can I get away by turning the car on and not start? I was going to disconnect the return line and turn the wheel multiple times then pour in new fluid till the fluid coming out is new. Thanks.

I don't think the car has to be running
smile.gif

And anyway, a power steering flush isn't really necessary unless you used the wrong fluid. But a Camry isn;t picky about fluid.

If you still feel the need to add in fresh fluid, use the turkey baster method

I don't know about the 'flush'. When I wanted to replace the steering fluid of 2006 Sentra, I was told to suck the fluid out of the reservoir until dry while the car is idling and someone turning the steering constantly. At one point, turning the steering will not be possible (due to lack of steering fluid?) Then turn off the car and fill up the reservoir. Start again and try turning the steering and fill up the reservoir to the marked line.

I just did my old Tundra. Do it!
I drained and removed the reservoir. They have a mesh screen...
I sprayed brake cleaner and shook it. You will see debris on the screen.
Perhaps a litte light compressed air from the bottom up. Reverse flow.
Then plug the return port and run a hose from the return hose to a drain pan.
Lift front wheels off ground and rotate steering wheels from lock to lock.
Do enough times to fill reservoir 3 or more times.
Put it all back together and clean up your mess.
I used maxlife; it worked great.
You can srart engine for a few seconds if you wish; do not run pump dry if you can help it.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
2008 Toyota Camry power steering fluid looks pretty dirty. In order to flush out the system does the car need to be running? Or can I get away by turning the car on and not start? I was going to disconnect the return line and turn the wheel multiple times then pour in new fluid till the fluid coming out is new. Thanks.

This is exactly how I did drain & refills of PS fluid on all my cars.

Zero problems running engine with line disconnected and ‘pumping' old fluid in a empty milk jug.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I don't think the car has to be running
smile.gif

And anyway, a power steering flush isn't really necessary unless you used the wrong fluid. But a Camry isn;t picky about fluid.

If you still feel the need to add in fresh fluid, use the turkey baster method

On my Tacoma that's what I do every oil change. His maybe original.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
I don't know about the 'flush'. When I wanted to replace the steering fluid of 2006 Sentra, I was told to suck the fluid out of the reservoir until dry while the car is idling and someone turning the steering constantly. At one point, turning the steering will not be possible (due to lack of steering fluid?) Then turn off the car and fill up the reservoir. Start again and try turning the steering and fill up the reservoir to the marked line.

I don't want to run the pump dry.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
You can srart engine for a few seconds if you wish; do not run pump dry if you can help it.
Good luck.

Thank you sir. Seems easy enough.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by ARB1977

This is exactly how I did drain & refills of PS fluid on all my cars.

Zero problems running engine with line disconnected and ‘pumping' old fluid in a empty milk jug.

Thank you sir.

Arb 1977,

Here's a good YouTube video that shows the simple and effective method that you mention in your OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg9Yjt__KHw The video shows NOT running the engine. I followed the video instructions with success.

There's some good hints in the answer section too. I.E., one person suggests parking on cardboard squares to ease wheel turning IF you cannot lift your front end.

Good luck.

^^This^^
Just completed this service on the 98 and 06 Corolla.

I believe in making life as simple as possible.
I do the Turkey Baster Method (use one quart) once every two years (15,000 miles).
Once your system has clean fluid, it's easy to keep clean.

OP - this could be your Plan 'B'

I like doitmyself's video; the tube attached to the return port allows for atmospheric breathing which is a little better than a plug.
I do like to remove the reservoir for internal cleaning. The screen will be clogged, at least partially.

Good luck.

Much easier to flush the PS fluid with the engine off (key in the run position so you can turn the wheels). This method was described by John Clark on the Odyssey forum (https://www.odyclub.com/goto/post?id=2320263).

Just did this on my Odyssey earlier today. Be careful that you dont leave the key in the run position too long or you will kill the battery...ask me how I know this!

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Arb 1977,

Here's a good YouTube video that shows the simple and effective method that you mention in your OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg9Yjt__KHw The video shows NOT running the engine. I followed the video instructions with success.

There's some good hints in the answer section too. I.E., one person suggests parking on cardboard squares to ease wheel turning IF you cannot lift your front end.

Thanks a lot brother.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
I do the Turkey Baster Method (use one quart) once every two years (15,000 miles).

I would like to get rid of the old. Then every oil change syphon what's in the reservoir.

I like doitmyself's video; the tube attached to the return port allows for atmospheric breathing which is a little better than a plug.
I do like to remove the reservoir for internal cleaning. The screen will be clogged, at least partially.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

This is my technique as well.

The instructions are perfect although after the vehicle is raised - turn the ignition to ACC mode to power the pump (to undo the steering lock) but not run the pump.
Yes the procedure is pretty straight forward and must-do every 60K or even 30K miles since the capacity is +/- 1Q. MaxLife is perfect for PS systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back