Potenza RE960 AS Pole Positions vs Goodyear F1 AS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm moving up to 225/40-18 on my Lexus IS 250AWD.
I had 17" RE960s and like them but I also have interest in the Goodyear F1 all seasons.
I'm leaning toward buying another set of RE960s from Tire Rack but would like some imput from anyone on the Goodyear F1's.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Not sure, but have you looked at the Michelin PS-2s?

Only find the PS2 is a summer tire on Tire Rack.Summer tire rubber gets hard under 45 degrees and wear fast,lose traction and stink in light snow.
In the Ultra High Performance All-Season....
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are listed and the cost of that tire is $63 more per tire over a 960RE and $72 more than a GY F1 and the TireRack test results aren't worth the difference.
The consumer test results has the RE960 #1.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=72

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

Last edited:
I mainly look for all season grip, weight, price and longevity in that order. My guess is that the goodyears grip a little better and are a lot lighter because pole positions are pretty heavy. I don't like heavy tires because they reduce mpg and acceleration.

edit: actually, I just looked at the specs and the pole positions are actually 1lb lighter in your size. Strange. For my size 235/45/17, they are 4lbs heavier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I mainly look for all season grip, weight, price and longevity in that order. My guess is that the goodyears grip a little better and are a lot lighter because pole positions are pretty heavy. I don't like heavy tires because they reduce mpg and acceleration.

edit: actually, I just looked at the specs and the pole positions are actually 1lb lighter in your size. Strange. For my size 235/45/17, they are 4lbs heavier.

Your 235/45/17 have a 3/4" bigger sidewall and less than 1/2 inch tread width difference,Diameter is .1 inch bigger difference and the Circumference is .8 inches bigger over the 225/40-18.There's the 4 lbs.

You can do any tire workup comparison here.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

[censored]!A Tire Rack rep just called me

I placed my order for another set of Bridgestone RE960AS tires.
I had them on the 17 wheels and now am going with 18" G-Spiders and wanted the RE960s again.
I had a pretty tough time deciding if I stay with RE960s or go with GoodYear F1 AS.
Well,Tire Rack just called and said the sidewall load issue on the RE960 would not work well with the IS.I found that hard to believe but I will take his advice and not use the RE960's.I mean if they won't work well on an IS,what size car would they work with?
I went with the GY F1 AS and actually saved $32.
I hope these F1's are nice and kudos to Tire Rack for the warning on the sidewall load issue of the RE960s.

I have F1 A/S and I love them. Sidewall is a tad stiff but overall, a nice match. Smooth, quiet, and plenty of grip for my car.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
I have F1 A/S and I love them. Sidewall is a tad stiff but overall, a nice match. Smooth, quiet, and plenty of grip for my car.

Thanks,I hope I feel the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back