Potato Salad

This may sound strange to some of you but I bought some potato salad for the first time today. Since it's just me and mama these days we don't cook a bunch on holidays and we always made potato salad or who ever brought it was home made. What I didn't know was there is potato salad made with out mustard, I'm like what the heck. I didn't want to chance it so I bought the one with mustard.

They had a couple different types that weren't yellow and the ingredients said mustard seed but not mustard.

Anyone here make potato salad without mustard?

No mustard here. Sometimes I add mustard seeds but not always. I usually add finely chopped bacon and parsley.

This may sound strange to some of you but I bought some potato salad for the first time today. Since it's just me and mama these days we don't cook a bunch on holidays and we always made potato salad or who ever brought it was home made. What I didn't know was there is potato salad made with out mustard, I'm like what the heck. I didn't want to chance it so I bought the one with mustard.

They had a couple different types that weren't yellow and the ingredients said mustard seed but not mustard.

Anyone here make potato salad without mustard?
Our family potato salad is made with out mustard. I get it with mustard out sometimes and like it but no where near as much as Cindy’s!

The old southern recipe that most people around this area use is mayonnaise based (preferably Dukes), chopped boiled eggs, pimentos, celery, diced onions, chopped sweet pickles, a little paprika, sometimes a little bacon bits. This is kind of the basic one. Of course everyone makes it just a little different adding their own special whatever.

The old southern recipe that most people around this area use is mayonnaise based (preferably Dukes), chopped boiled eggs, pimentos, celery, diced onions, chopped sweet pickles, a little paprika, sometimes a little bacon bits. This is kind of the basic one. Of course everyone makes it just a little different adding their own special whatever.
Oh, and the potatoes have to be peeled and boiled really well, as in fairly soft. Even a little hint of hardness in the potatoes just will not do.

I wonder if this isn't one of the mid-western things like green bean casserole. Next time I'll try it with out the mustard. One thing I thought was also weird about what I bought is there were no hard boiled eggs in it, just weird to me.

If I come home with a jar of Dukes … she knows what I’m craving because otherwise it’s a squeeze bottle 😜
She adds a small amount of mustard in hers … then puts it in fridge while I keep smoking BBQ outside …

Back