Pimento Cheese error

Yesterday my wife called and asked if we needed anything when she left work.I thought for a second and said hot dog buns and pimento cheese.Hot dogs with pimento cheese and a bit of mustard is pretty good,for a change from hot dogs with kraut,chow chow or mustard/ketchup.Wifey got home and she had bought 2 different brands of pimento spread.
#1-Kraft Pimento Spread
#2-Mrs Kinser's Chunky Pimento Spread

Notice neither say cheese.The Kraft is a cream cheese base(mild shudder).The Mrs. Kinser's first ingredient is "pastuerized process imitation american cheese"(physically recoiled and hurriedly put it back on the counter).I quietly ate my hot dogs with kraut,mustard and pepper and afterwards placed the spreads in the fridge.For those who don't know Pimento Cheese is traditionally made with american or cheddar cheeses.

Today I tried the Kraft on a turkey sandwich,not bad but not pimento cheese.In fact the pimento flavor was almost nonexistent.It was more or less colored cream cheese with very little pimento in it.It would probably be good on a bagel.I have not tried the Mrs Kinser's as I do not eat imitation cheese aka solidified vegetable oil.I don't buy it in slice form or in spreads.I made that mistake once in the past.My wife will because she does not read labels,she just grabs stuff that looks like cheese.I hate it when companies cheap out their products.Looking at you Mrs Kinsers.Their other products real pimento cheese,chicken salad etc. are pretty good though.

Last edited:
Living in Wisconsin I naturally gravitated to any thread that uses the word "cheese".

I haven't really seen pimento cheese here so I looked it up, down south there it looks like you all have a spread of some sort like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimento_cheese

It's made from grated American cheese and pimentos (with other ingredients)? And you put it on hot dogs?

I grew up in central Illinois and I seem to have a vague memory of this being used as a sandwich filler as noted on the Wikipedia article. Do you eat it that way too?

Originally Posted By: urrlord
Yesterday my wife called and asked if we needed anything when she left work.I thought for a second and said hot dog buns and pimento cheese.Hot dogs with pimento cheese and a bit of mustard is pretty good,for a change from hot dogs with kraut,chow chow or mustard/ketchup.Wifey got home and she had bought 2 different brands of pimento spread.
#1-Kraft Pimento Spread

Notice neither say cheese.The Kraft is a cream cheese base(mild shudder).The Mrs. Kinser's first ingredient is "pastuerized process imitation american cheese"(physically recoiled and hurriedly put it back on the counter).I quietly ate my hot dogs with kraut,mustard and pepper and afterwards placed the spreads in the fridge.For those who don't know Pimento Cheese is traditionally made with american or cheddar cheeses.

Today I tried the Kraft on a turkey sandwich,not bad but not pimento cheese.In fact the pimento flavor was almost nonexistent.It was more or less colored cream cheese with very little pimento in it.It would probably be good on a bagel.I have not tried the Mrs Kinser's as I do not eat imitation cheese aka solidified vegetable oil.I don't buy it in slice form or in spreads.I made that mistake once in the past.My wife will because she does not read labels,she just grabs stuff that looks like cheese.I hate it when companies cheap out their products.Looking at you Mrs Kinsers.Their other products real pimento cheese,chicken salad etc. are pretty good though.

I don't know about the stores in your area, but I've returned stuff like that and usually they have some 100% satisfaction guarantee so you can basically return any kind of food. I kinda feel bad when it's meat sometimes though so I don't do it too often. They tell me they have to throw it out because they don't know if the customer refrigerated it properly. Did that once at a picnic where we bought too much food.

Pimento Cheese is mainly a southern thing,although in the last few years some of the celebrity chefs picked it up and produced their versions of it.The use of it on a hot dog is a bit unconventional.But a hot bun with a squirt of mustard then a spoon of pimento cheese and then throw a hot weiner on top is pretty darn good.The heat from the bun and weiner melt the cheese spread creating a gooey tasty mess.
grin.gif
Some people smear it on hamburger buns but that can get a bit messy as it will drip off the bun onto you!But most people eat it as a cold sandwich or as a spread on saltines or ritz crackers.Truthfully I never cared for it growing up but in my late 30's I developed a taste for it.

Last edited:
If I'm having cheese on a hotdog it will be a Skyline chili cheese coney. They're not shy with the cheese as you can see. They grate it fresh in the store from the good stuff. Tastes much better than the Kraft stuff.
smile.gif

Although I try to avoid cheese in general since it's so fattening.

Make your own. It’s not that hard, it’s cheaper and you know what’s in it.
1 8oz block of cheese shredded
2. 4 oz jars of chopped pimento drained
3 ground black pepper and sweet paprika to taste
4. Mayonnaise to bring it together. Note: Use only Duke’s Hellman’s or Best Foods Mayo. (Kraft Mayo or Dressing will ruin it.)

Last edited:
It has been a while but I have made my own in the past, I mixed american and mild cheddar.I even planted pimento peppers one year.....the deer enjoyed them right down to ground level.And yes the Kraft spread is in a little glass that will be used for juice when it is emptied.Much like the mole' and pipian spice mixes ,although their glasses are a little taller.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
Make your own. It’s not that hard, it’s cheaper and you know what’s in it.
1 8oz block of cheese shredded
2. 4 oz jars of chopped pimento drained
3 ground black pepper and sweet paprika to taste
4. Mayonnaise to bring it together. Note: Use only Duke’s Hellman’s or Best Foods Mayo. (Kraft Mayo or Dressing will ruin it.)

For best taste use extra sharp cheddar.

Making your own is cheaper and better than store bought. Extra sharp cheddar is the way to go. If I don't have pimentos, I'll use Mezzetta sliced tamed jalapeno peppers. Either way, it's good.

#1-Kraft Pimento Spread

Funny I just thought about this the other night. I Used to love it when I was little in the south and this conjures up memories!

Back