Post your oil temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been done before, but I couldn't find a thread like it.

My new SRT displays oil temp on the EVIC (electronic vehicle info center) in addition to oil pressure, tire pressures, etc. I know automatic-equipped Mopars also display trans oil temp, which is nice if you're towing.

So what do others with engine oil temp gauges (either factory or aftermarket) see and under what conditions? The SRT 392 engine has an oil-to-coolant heat exchanger, and the oil temp tends to stick right around 225-230 in ambient temps from the 40s up through the 70s the last few days. People on various forums say "30 degrees F above the coolant temp is normal." Seems on the warm side, but not excessive, and it does (so far) seem very consistent independent of how hard I'm working the engine.

Around 240 on my 135i. I pull the temp at the drain plug on my 318i and it rately goes over 150.

03 BMW 330Ci, I see about 200F running along at 55-65 mph.
About 10F more than my coolant temp.

Data recorded using AutoEnginuity software on my laptop.

The Pentastar-equipped 300 I had as a rental wouldn't go above about 185 deg F. Even trying to heat it up, I couldn't get it above 190 deg F.

My 6.1 ranges from 210-230 in the city in normal driving to 300 at Homestead lapping the infield and half the big oval repeatedly!

74 Triumph Spitfire making 95-100 BHP (Dyno)

Oil temp sender in the oil pan.

No oil cooler fitted.

After 20 min driving around town 175F

Max reading after 1 hour at about 80 mph, 220F.

I'm usually around 194F-203F. I've hit 212F once on the DVP. I have a thermostatically controlled oil cooler.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Where are you guys drawing oil temp from?

Well, me and 440 are using the sensor in the bottom of the block that is factory.

I would add that I agree that WHERE is extremely important, as the temp can vary wildly throughout the system.

Audi A6 2.7 turbo, factory gauge. Right now I see no higher than 205°F at any time. Before my last timing belt and water pump change, I would regularly see 230°F. There is an oil to coolant cooler in the filter base, so I figure that the coolant wasn't doing its job before I replaced it the last time.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
to 300 at Homestead lapping the infield and half the big oval repeatedly!

Droool... ;-)

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Audi A6 2.7 turbo, factory gauge. Right now I see no higher than 205°F at any time. Before my last timing belt and water pump change, I would regularly see 230°F. There is an oil to coolant cooler in the filter base, so I figure that the coolant wasn't doing its job before I replaced it the last time.

Or the thermostat wasn't opening.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My 6.1 ranges from 210-230 in the city in normal driving to 300 at Homestead lapping the infield and half the big oval repeatedly!

Wow. Our circle track here is lucky to be paved. It's really short and no straightaway really,basically its a steady turn. I'd love to run on a real track,in a kick a$$ car like yours.
I've gotta spray ungodly amounts of nitrous to get to your power levels,which is fine in a straight line but doesn't work running an oval.
I'm jealous.

On my 6.0 Powerstroke I am able to read oil temp through my scangauge II, it generally never goes more than 7 degrees above coolant temp as these engines are fitted with an oil to coolant cooler.

The thermostat is 190f and its interesting to keep an eye on, at 55 mph the oil stays 5 degrees warmer, at 70 its 7 degrees.

This is with 10w-30.

05 2.4L Turbo - 260hp/290tq to wheels
Sensor in the pan
Coolant/oil heat exchanger
TStat - 195

OIL
190-200 daily average
210 continuous summer 65MPH freeway driving
270-290 lapping Portland International Raceway

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.