post your latest transmission lubricant change.

Originally Posted by MRtv
Sadly I had to take my Nissan with a CVT sealed transmission in to the dealership to get the fluid changed. I'd do it but.... Anyway it is done now and I don't think I want to buy another sealed tranny car.
57,177 miles. Second time I have had the transmission fluid changed.
Service manual says do it at 60,000 but I didn't think I wanted to wait that long so I had it done at 30,000 and now near the 60,000 mile mark.

I would follow the factory recommended interval from now on. With transmissions getting the break in material out is key after this ATF stays clean and fresh for a long time.

04 Lexus LS430:

Out: 4qts WS when I had to replace the S2 solenoid and filter replacement.
In: 4.5qts WS and LG Red. Pulled overflow/check plug to get to proper fill level.

Last edited:
Rav 4 Toyota ws (worse fluid ever) out, Two Drains Redline d6 back, for a two flush total of 8 quarts exactly. Fluid was still black after second change, still purple on the stick, will do two more this summer. Less then 40k miles on the fluid, widespread issues with WS on the net, believe them all!

My info is capacity is 6.7, so more then half drained. 4/6.7 twice. Transmision works great, even with the ws fluid.

Last edited:
2016 Toyota 4Runner (22,435 miles)
Out: 3.2 qts factory fill WS
In: 3.2 qts Valvoline Maxlife ATF

I overfilled by about 0.3 qts (3.5 qts into trans) and then performed the temp check procedure.

Originally Posted by BlakeB

I overfilled by about 0.3 qts (3.5 qts into trans) and then performed the temp check procedure.

Nice that it ended being the exact same in/out. I perform drain/fills on our RX350 cold and just measure the amount and replace with the same. Maybe I'll buy a scangauge at some point but feel pretty confident with the above method.

Originally Posted by panthermike

Nice that it ended being the exact same in/out. I perform drain/fills on our RX350 cold and just measure the amount and replace with the same. Maybe I'll buy a scangauge at some point but feel pretty confident with the above method.

The 4Runner is my moms car.

I used to have an 07 Tacoma (same A750 trans), I used my Ultragauge to check the fluid level with it. It's handy, but putting them in temp check mode isn't hard.
I would have been comfortable just draining the pan and adding 3.2 quarts back in on the Tacoma. After the initial drain and fill on the Tacoma I would always get 3.2 quarts out of it. It was about a quart low from the factory, when I did the first D/F on it at 51k miles the WS was black.

Originally Posted by panthermike

The 4Runner is my moms car.

I used to have an 07 Tacoma (same A750 trans), I used my Ultragauge to check the fluid level with it. It's handy, but putting them in temp check mode isn't hard.
I would have been comfortable just draining the pan and adding 3.2 quarts back in on the Tacoma. After the initial drain and fill on the Tacoma I would always get 3.2 quarts out of it. It was about a quart low from the factory, when I did the first D/F on it at 51k miles the WS was black.

Wow, a quart low is quite a bit! I had the same experience with WS, started drain/fills on the Lexus at 41K and it was very dark.

The fluid on the 4Runner was cherry red.

On my Tacoma I did a cooler line flush at 60k, then did another drain/fill at 80k and the WS was still cherry red.
I did the final drain/fill at 80k with Maxlife and then traded it in at 87k. I towed a lot in the 20k (60-80k) miles that the WS was in there, it appeared to be holding up better than the factory fill.
I only switched to Maxlife for cost and availability reasons. The dealership is about 45 minutes away and they want about $9/quart. I can pick up a gallon jug of Maxlife at Walmart for ~$18.
There are guys on TacomaWorld.com that have been using Maxlife in these transmissions for over 150k miles with no issues, that's good enough for me. The guy with 150k on Maxlife does a cooler line flush every 50k.

2018 Silverado 28202 miles.

Out 3 quarts via transmission fill and fluid extractor.

In 2 quarts SuperTech DEXRON VI and 1 quart Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

2006 Camry 210000kms, 4speed auto. Unlikely the car has ever seen a fluid change. Still shifted well, bit harsh in the morning if anything.
Out: 4.4l of dark brown, nearly black stuff. Didn't smell burnt.
In: 4.5l of Penrite ATF LV.
"Feels" smoother now.
These Camrys are pretty [censored] solid.

2017 Ram 6.7L CTD 68RFE 3500 miles-
@ 2500 miles sucked out 4 qts of Mopar ATF+4
In 4qts Red Line C+

@ 3000 miles sucked out 4qts
In 4qts Red Line C+

3500 miles - Installed Delete Thermal By-pass block valve between transmission and cooler.
While doing so almost 4qts drained out into bucket.
In 4qts Valvoline ATF+4 (Didn't have any spare qts of RL C+).

This summer a PML Transmission pan install is planned! So at least 6qts will drain and around 8qts of fresh ATF will be going back in.
The 68RFE is the weakest link in this powertrain chain so it will pretty much receive the most attention (Esp towing a 12K-15Klb Toy Hauler)

2005 Chevy Express 3500 Van 317205 miles!!

about 12 quarts Valvoline Maxlife ATF (drain/fill then 'flush' w/cooler line till 'clear' - about 3 quarts).

been doing above about every 80k miles (with V.Max.L) - tranny still runs/shifts like NEW!

Last edited:
Sister's 2007 Acura TSX 80K miles
Out: Factory fill; dark but not too bad.
In: 3 quarts Idemitsu Honda equivalent

Smoothed that trans right out; pulls better.

2002 Tundra in sig, out went 4qts of the 30k old Valvoline blue bottled Dex/Merc and in went 4 fresh qts of the same stuff. Non-syn and nothing fancy, but it's served it's purpose well over the many years I've been using it

Toyota Corolla Base 1.8 A/T
143K on the car
~10k on this drain and fill (trans fluid was already dark)

Out - 3qts Maxlife ATF
In - 3qts Maxlife ATF

Back