post your latest transmission lubricant change.

1993 Chevrolet C1500 with 4L60E transmission, 69K miles
Out: Unknown (probably Dexron III) with 39K miles
In: Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Pan drop with new NAPA filter.

2014 Kia Soul with A6GF1 transmission, 90K mikes
Out: Kia SP-IV with 60K miles
In: Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Drain and fill, filter is not serviceable

This was done this past September, but;

car in sig

out: Motul Gear 300 NON LS (the 222 V.I. stuff
wink.gif
)

in: Ravenol MTF-2

1994 Ford Explorer 4WD, A4LD auto, 247K miles

Out: what looked to be OE filter, redish black fluid of some kind, extremely brittle gasket that looked OE.

In: Hastings filter kit, 4 qts Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Shifted perfect before and after. Don't think the trans has ever been replaced based on the way the mount looked. I might own the best A4LD ever, I hope it stays that way.

2014 F250 6.7L; 156K miles.

2nd time replaced transmission filter, and drained/filled fluid.

Out: Mercon LV.
In: Mercon LV.

It's an addition. I bought it non-running at an auction for $250. It had an accumulation of issues, but nothing crazy and has cleaned up pretty well. It still needs some things like a radio and window regulators, but it runs and drives great, 4WD works, and it's rust free.

Granddaughter's 2010 Camry with 188K. I did two ATF drain & refills in January and fluid was still black when I finished. I did three more drain & refills today. Now the fluid is brown and not really close to what the new fluid looks like. Used Maxlife both times and changed just over two quarts each time. The transmission holds 6.9 quarts. The Camry did not have & still does not have any shifting issues. I will do a couple more drain and refills next year.

Originally Posted by chunt
Granddaughter's 2010 Camry with 188K. I did two ATF drain & refills in January and fluid was still black when I finished. I did three more drain & refills today. Now the fluid is brown and not really close to what the new fluid looks like. Used Maxlife both times and changed just over two quarts each time. The transmission holds 6.9 quarts. The Camry did not have & still does not have any shifting issues. I will do a couple more drain and refills next year.

Sounds like a good candidate for a fluid exchange. Then after that do 15k-30k drain and fills. I put a shorter limit since only 2 quarts come out at a time. Doing an exchange will get at all that dirty fluid out of there.

You could simply disconnect one of the trans cooler lines going into the radiator. Pump out roughly 3 quarts by turning the key "on" but not starting the engine. Refill with 3 quarts. Repeat this three times. Not much more difficult than a drain and fill.

Clinebarger on here is the trans expert so he would be a good resource to send a PM to before beginning this.

2013 Hyundai Elantra with 110,000 miles. Purchased used and had no idea when the fluid was last changed. When I began draining it was obvious the fluid was changed recently. Good news, just one drain/fill.

Cleaned the magnetic drain plug off, and filled with Maxlife ATF. Shifts like soft butter.

Flushed the AW70 transmission in my 240 yesterday via the cooler line. First time I've done it and quite possibly the first time the poor car has ever had it done. I was a little wary about doing it at 152,000 miles but the sticking first gear and clunky shifts made me decide to bite the bullet and try the flush, and if that didn't work I'd look into getting the box reconditioned.

In: 10 litres Mannol Dexron III, 1 Lubegard Red
Out: black soup

It took about 9 litres to get the fluid coming through nice and red, and after the flush it's like a different car. 2nd gear went in smoothly first time and the other shifts are almost imperceptible. Your mileage may vary but this old clunker seems to have appreciated its first flush.

Last year in September, I did a pan drain and drop on my 6R140 trans. That was at 31450 miles. Truck now has over 38k miles. Cleaned the pan, factory donut magnet, added two small high temp K&J rare earth magnets to the pan, new factory filter and bolted pan back up. I added 7.5 quarts of Mercon LV which I then had to add 1/2 quart to seal the deal. I also added LubeGard Platinum additive, 16 oz as per the 1 ounce rule for every quart. My first time using it. I also drained and filled my transfer case with 2.25 quarts of Motorcraft XL12 fluid. I added the Lubegard to the transfer case as well.

Pan drop 545rfe, put in 11 quarts redline c+ upgraded thread to metal and will use synthetic media filter next service, which will be this summer. Going with this strategy, two pan drops as opposed to a flush. Mopar fluid was dark purple at 30k miles. C+ took away the shudder I was having at low rpm.

2010 F-150:

Out: Mag 1 LV +LG Platinum (3.5qts)
In: Same, and full bottle of platinum per lubegard recommendation to try and get rid of shudder.

I've now changed out a total of 15 quarts of fluid, this last 3.5 quarts came out looking pretty good. I'm closer to a 2oz per quart of LG and I don't want to get my hopes up but I think the shudder is finally gone!!

99,748 miles

Back