post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2007 Mazdaspeed 3 92,000 miles
Out: 3 Quarts Motorcraft XT-M5-QS
In : 3 Quarts Motorcraft XT-M5-QS

2010 Kia Optima LX (2.4 G4KC / Hyundai Theta II) 38,500 Miles
Out: OEM Kia SPIII
In: OEM Kia SPIII

Kia/Hyundai is nice enough to put a drain plug on the bottom of my transmission. I did two 4.5 quart drain and fills. Shift quality improved instantly. I plan on doing a 4.5 quart drain and fill every year.

1997 Honda Civic, brother's car;

Put in 3qts of Maxlife and 5oz. Lubegard Red. This thing only drains 1.75qts per drain. I'll have to do a few more.

156,100 miles.

1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Replaced tranny fluid with Valvoline Maxlife (Dexron/Mercon).

159,400 miles.

Would HIGHLY recommend this fluid for older trannies that spec Dexron. Shifts very smooth & quiet. And fluid was inexpensive at my local AutoZone.

GL

1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4, 134,000 miles. Removed the Magnefine filter and flushed and filled with 9 quarts Castrol Mercon V and a couple quarts of Mobil 1. I had had Mobil 1 in it since I bought it used in 2000 with 50,000 miles. This was the 3rd flush but at this age I was not going to spend that much for ATF as I may not keep it more than a few years longer and do not drive it that much. It still runs great with an additional trans cooler in line along with the Magnefine. Also changed the transfer case fluid (have to use Dex/Merc III in this old vehicle, it had old Mobil 1 but there is little synthetic Dex/Merc III compatible except Redline and I did not want to hunt it down or spend the money at this point. I also turkey basted the power steering which is full of Mobil 1 and topped up the differentials, again Mobil 1 in rear but conventional in front as it leaks and needs topping every 6 months.

Last edited:
Toyota Altezza RS200-Z - J160 6MT

Out: I can only assume OE fill
In: Redline MT-90 75w90 GL4 (the best oil for this trans hands down)

2011 Toyota Prius, 15100 miles.

Out: Factory Fill
In: 3.5qt of Toyota ATF-WS.

Yes, a drain and refill removes all of the old fluid.

1999 Jeep Cherokee 5 speed,135,000 miles.My wife was [censored] the tranny is hard to shift when cold.Drain out what is likely a 75-90 mineral oil,in goes Redline MT (75/90).Instant improvement.I also have a 5 speed Cherokee and changed to Redline a year ago with the same results.This same basic tranny is used by Toyota rear drive stuff.
Of course other brands of GL-4 oil might do the same........

2005 Acura MDX; 75,000 miles. Have done three rounds now of drain 3 quarts and fill with 3 quarts of new DW-1. Shifting improved significantly with the first drain, softened more than I like on the second drain, and firmed back up on the third drain, which was this past weekend. Transmission holds 9 quarts, so I've gotten about half of it out now. I will continue to drain/fill 3 quarts at every 5,000 mile OCI until I'm comfortable that most of the old fluid is out, then will move to a drain/fill every 15,000 miles, to coincide with changing the rear VTM-4 fluid.

91 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S 3.3L V6 3 speed w/OD 129,367K miles as of today...
From 89K miles. Had to drop pan everytime..

89K miles FEB11, Drain and fill, + filter and gasket. 6 qts Maxlife + lubred.

98K miles, APRIL11 D&F +F&G 6 qts Maxlife. + lubred

98K miles APRIL11(YES twice! had to drop the pan 6 miles later to FIX a lose filter.. It would drop out of gear, and SLIP like mad inbetween shifts.) Had to drain out lubred and new maxlife.. i was upset lol.. replaced with 3QTs castrol DEX, 3 qts castrol HM..

112K miles JULY11 Drain and fill, + filter and gasket.. 6 QTS castrol forgot to put magnet back in pan.....

122K miles, SEPT11 Drain and fill + filter and gasket, again 6 qts castrol.. Still forgot to put in magnet..

129K miles, NOV11 Drain and fill + filter and gasket. 6 qts maxlife, and it has NEVER shifted better.. The change was night and day from the castrol.. Even though i change the fluid about every 3 months, this last change has the MOST noticeable improvement.. It shifts so smooth, the gears slide in to the next without much clutch slippage, but yet, its not giving you whip lash.. oh, and yes, lost that magnet... ill pick up a new one, and hopefully not forget to install it.. LOL.

Cant agree more. Maxlife seems to be a very good fluid, and with the Advanced codes, you can pick it up for CHEAPER then going to walmart for 5$/QT castrol

Its changed so often because its driven in lost NY, country roads, mountains, engine braking, WOT to triple digits, shifting often from 1-3, even in and out of OD.. Its the last thing the tranny needs is extended drains...
Originally Posted By: Greg L
1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Replaced tranny fluid with Valvoline Maxlife (Dexron/Mercon).

159,400 miles.

Would HIGHLY recommend this fluid for older trannies that spec Dexron. Shifts very smooth & quiet. And fluid was inexpensive at my local AutoZone.

GL

2005 ~84k miles 2.2L MTX Saturn Vue

Out: factory fill
In: 2qts Redline D4

Didn't really notice a change for better or worse with shifting. Still notchy into first at stops.

I would also have to agree with SXE10 and Truckedup above.

Had put in the same Redline MT90 (75w90) fluid in my manual SM465 Muncie tranny earlier this year & shifts like butter. Absolutely smooth...especially on that tranny that is 43 years old.

GL

Drain & Fill auto trans on wife's '97 Camry 161,326 miles - Amsoil ATF.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

You didn't forget the front diff, right? I think this one has a separate unit.

1988 Chevy S-10 Pickup with 5-speed manual

Drained old, unknown ATF and re-filled with a mix of Castrol Multi-Vehicle ATF and Quaker State Dex 3 equivalent. (whatever I had left in a couple of old bottles)

Fluid likely worth more than the rest of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Right! Didn't do that one, I think her BIL did it a couple years ago.

Hey, how much does that one take as I may do it this weekend...??

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Right! Didn't do that one, I think her BIL did it a couple years ago.

Hey, how much does that one take as I may do it this weekend...??

Thanks!

I found it on Amsoil's site. 3.4 Pints.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/ProductRecommendations.aspx?FromIndex=1&url2=1997+TOYOTA+CAMRY+X

Originally Posted By: Greg L
I would also have to agree with SXE10 and Truckedup above.

Had put in the same Redline MT90 (75w90) fluid in my manual SM465 Muncie tranny earlier this year & shifts like butter. Absolutely smooth...especially on that tranny that is 43 years old.

GL

Greg,I did have good results with the Mineral GL4 oil,,forget the brand name, in my 50 Chevy PU SM 420.

Back