post your latest transmission lubricant change.

1 quart
0A207C90-CC6A-417B-8B70-4876366290BB.jpeg

2012 Kia Forte Koup 2.4L SX 6MT: a few thousand miles on this run of manual transmission fluid (Redline MT-85) This first change was a "flush" to clean out the transmission of all the old fluid.
Out: Redline MT-85 GL-4 1.9 QTS
In: Redline MT-85 GL-4 1.9 QTS
Cleaned magnet
This fluid came out the same color in went in with just a spec of black on the magnet. I will not be changing again anytime soon.. It feels just about the same, maybe a tick better "feel"
YEAHHHH.

I lied. I changed the manual transmission fluid yesterday again. I used the same REDLINE MT-85 fluid. 1.9 qts capacity.

ONLY because I was not sure when I had the slave, clutch ect replaced that the dealer did or did not drain the fluid to do the work.

To answer my own question... the dealer did NOT drain out the transmission fluid to do the clutch or slave work.

The REDLINE MT-85 was literally crystal clear on drain, with 3 specs of magnet material.

Now im NOT going to change it again for sometime haha.

YEAHHHH.

I lied. I changed the manual transmission fluid yesterday again. I used the same REDLINE MT-85 fluid. 1.9 qts capacity.

ONLY because I was not sure when I had the slave, clutch ect replaced that the dealer did or did not drain the fluid to do the work.

To answer my own question... the dealer did NOT drain out the transmission fluid to do the clutch or slave work.

The REDLINE MT-85 was literally crystal clear on drain, with 3 specs of magnet material.

Now im NOT going to change it again for sometime haha.
How is that Redline working?

Lincoln MKZ 3.7L AWD, 140,877
Out: God knows. Some purple goop probably FF MC MERCON LV.

In: Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF (MERCON LV) 10 Qts

Drain and filled twice until fluid looked pink...

2 quarts of M1 75W90 in diff.

Pan drop, clean, complete flush with 12 quarts of M1 ATF (older multi-vehicle formula) 2005 G35 100K

Looked like original fluid so I did 2 partial drains over the past 2 months with SuperTech ATF+4 and added 6 ounces of Auto-RX prior to complete flush. Magnets and Pan were surprisingly clean for 104K on original fluid.

Initial observations are that the vehicle shifts no differently with 65% ATF+4 and original fluid vs. 100% New M1 ATF.
I started using M1 ATF around 1990 when it first came out. In that time I do the drain and fill every 30-40 K. To date, no trans failures or PS pump failures. either.

Did a pan drop and added a magnet on the Grand Marquis. When I did the first pan drop / filter change when I bought the car, I noticed the trans didn't have a magnet. So I finally added one.

Out: whatever was in there when I got the car mixed with 6 quarts of ST Mercon V
In: 5 quarts of Valvoline Mercon V

Also there is apparently a Mercon V shortage right now Had a hard time scraping together 6 quarts!

Toyota Tundra
3x drain & fill with Idemitsu TLS-LV

No atf cooler on 2019+ Tundras, so the cooler line exchange was not possible.

15 F150 64k 6R80 Wix filter kit and Mercon LV fluid. Done a few hours ago. Mini dipstick horribly located near cat converter. Sadistic engineer for sure.

Fluid looked excellent coming out and magnets were both not bad at all. Soft use truck so expected.

2005 Ford Taurus with 107,000 miles. Last pan drop was at 85,000 miles. This time I pulled out just over 6 quarts through the dipstick tube using my Flo N Go and Shop Vac. The old fluid was still a bright red. Pics also show the new bottle design of Castrol Transmax Mercon V on the left vs the old bottle on the right. Enjoy.

B36E2BD1-5532-44A7-A5E2-3C53BDC66A58.jpeg
295FCE88-6541-42F1-AD2F-593ED43B61F5.jpeg
A31B08A4-34FC-4599-9DF3-7D353D0F1AE0.jpeg
0BDFC695-B329-4BC7-A087-BAE5BB78B763.jpeg

Last edited:
15 F150 64k 6R80 Wix filter kit and Mercon LV fluid. Done a few hours ago. Mini dipstick horribly located near cat converter. Sadistic engineer for sure.

Fluid looked excellent coming out and magnets were both not bad at all. Soft use truck so expected.
Ah yes I remember servicing my 2010 F-150, was quite an experience I'll say. I had some thick gloves that helped a lot but what a pain in the butt!

Ah yes I remember servicing my 2010 F-150, was quite an experience I'll say. I had some thick gloves that helped a lot but what a pain in the butt!

Jus shouldn't be that much of a headache for what is really, overall an easy procedure. But hey, I'm a backyard mech at best so I suffered a bit.

Back