Post your latest small engine oil change

Did a re-power on my Grandpa's 2000 Scag 3-wheel mower. The mower itself is just shy of 1000 hours, but the old 22hp Kohler had been burning oil, and since Grandpa isn't always able to mow these days, family members have used it and it was run low on oil a few times. The old engine still ran, but it lacked power and compression was low. A new mower that would fit the bill was north of $15,000. I dropped this new 27hp Kohler Command Pro on there for him. Runs great and should be a good power upgrade, this engine also has an oil cooler where the other one did not.

Out: QS 5w30 + Supertech 15w40, Luber-Finer PH2814. (break-in oil)
In: Valvoline PB 10w30, Kawasaki filter

IMG_0209.jpg

Did a re-power on my Grandpa's 2000 Scag 3-wheel mower. The mower itself is just shy of 1000 hours, but the old 22hp Kohler had been burning oil, and since Grandpa isn't always able to mow these days, family members have used it and it was run low on oil a few times. The old engine still ran, but it lacked power and compression was low. A new mower that would fit the bill was north of $15,000. I dropped this new 27hp Kohler Command Pro on there for him. Runs great and should be a good power upgrade, this engine also has an oil cooler where the other one did not.

Out: QS 5w30 + Supertech 15w40, Luber-Finer PH2814. (break-in oil)
In: Valvoline PB 10w30, Kawasaki filter

View attachment 205560
Good deed bud.

My neighbor who is pretty mechanically clueless brought his 4 cycle Ryobi line trimmer over and asked if I'd help him fix the pull cord. While I was working on it, I noticed it had an oil fill and I asked him if he changed the oil. He thought I was pranking him. When I showed him the itty bitty dip stick he said he'd been using 50:1 mix in it the whole time.

I dumped the oil out and got several tablespoons worth out. Pretty dark but not tar or anything. We googled it and found it took 2 ounces or a quarter cup of 20w-50. The plug looked nasty, too, from running 2 cycle mix for a few years in it.

Last edited:
This can be a place to post our latest small engine oil change. I guess spring time would be the best time to start a thread like this.

I figure it would be good to include the engine info, brand and weight of oil, and filter where applicable. Here goes mine:

1954 B&S 2.5HP 6B-HS - 20oz. M1 15W-40 Gold Cap
John Deere E180 riding mower

Amsoil Small Engine 5-30W w/ Napa Platinum Filter

Kawa/Gravely ZT

At the 79 hour mark

Out: Carl's Mower and saw whatever junk bulk oil they put in my last "free" service last year

In: Amsoil 10W-30 Small engine oil

Draining the oil in the kinkable clear plastic tube is stupid, slow and incomplete

View attachment 208585
Yup, I hate those little tubes. Fluid extractor seems to work much better and less of a hassle. Some zero turns have really nice oil drain hoses, but others it seems maintenance is a second thought. My pet peeve is the manufacturers who just have no other choice but a simple drain plug that dumps oil all over the engine deck.

Yup, I hate those little tubes. Fluid extractor seems to work much better and less of a hassle. Some zero turns have really nice oil drain hoses, but others it seems maintenance is a second thought. My pet peeve is the manufacturers who just have no other choice but a simple drain plug that dumps oil all over the engine deck.
I am not particularly impressed by Gravely/Ariens engineering. The engine is seemingly just plunked where "the engine goes" and then this double decker black plastic extension from the block (you can sorta see the black in the pic) then this cheesed yellow valve that looks failure prone with a near useless cap on the barbed fitting....BUT the barb is right on top of frame member with no logically located hole that goes down, clear, out. Put the tube on and it kinks to bend anywhere but UP. hahahahaha. I could use that drain except extract UP from there with some decent tubing! Ha!!

Holds 2 qts perfectly.

Oh almost forgot, the shop made a giant mess with their "free" oil changes. I THOUGHT I had a leak. You know they could have cleaned up after......

I am not particularly impressed by Gravely/Ariens engineering. The engine is seemingly just plunked where "the engine goes" and then this double decker black plastic extension from the block (you can sorta see the black in the pic) then this cheesed yellow valve that looks failure prone with a near useless cap on the barbed fitting....BUT the barb is right on top of frame member with no logically located hole that goes down, clear, out. Put the tube on and it kinks to bend anywhere but UP. hahahahaha. I could use that drain except extract UP from there with some decent tubing! Ha!!

Holds 2 qts perfectly.

Oh almost forgot, the shop made a giant mess with their "free" oil changes. I THOUGHT I had a leak. You know they could have cleaned up after......
Yeah my ExMark is a pain, the oil drain is just a plug that is level with the deck. I usually drive one side up on a wood block to tilt it towards the fill hole and extract the oil that way.

1999 John Deere F725 mower. 20HP Kawasaki engine.
Out: Rotella T6 5w40, Fram XG PH4967
In: Amsoil Small Engine 10w30, Fram Endurance FE4967
I always thought those front mowers were so cool. Our town had an F725 to mow the school grounds when I was kid and I remember watching it through the window in class. Always wanted one of those.

I always thought those front mowers were so cool. Our town had an F725 to mow the school grounds when I was kid and I remember watching it through the window in class. Always wanted one of those.
My dad and I both have one. We like how simple they are to work on, their cut quality, and being able to see the deck out in front. Great mowers. Mine has around 1,000 hours on it and all I've done is a water pump and valve cover gaskets.

Back