Post your latest small engine oil change

1699139907116.jpg

2021 Craftsman M220 w/ 150CC Briggs OHV 625EXi
Out:Quaker State Euro 5W40
In:Quaker State Euro 5W40.
Mulched some leaves with it, mowed the back yard which is the only part that seems to still be growing, and decided it's probably the last time I'll use it this season so might as well dump it while it's nice and hot and easy to pour out.

2001 year model Snapper self propelled with a flathead Briggs

Out: whatever black thick gunk was in it, oil fouled and gunked up Champion J19LM spark plug and a filthy Briggs air filter

In: Napa 15W40, new Champion J19LM and a new Briggs air filter. Smokes when running its wore out but starts and runs good, for a friend of mine.

Does yours shut the fuel off when it's in the "off" dial? I watched a bunch of videos and it seems like it's supposed to switch the fuel valve off, but I can open the carb bowl screw and it just keeps draining.
I seriouly doubt that the off-run-start dial shuts off the fuel flow, but I could be wrong. In any event, I've had no trouble in five years.

Yard Machine 22” two stage snowblower w/5.5HP Tecumseh engine oil change.

This was used by my cousin and given to me in need of repair. The brass worm gear is worn out (new one included) and needs replaced. Otherwise it runs fine, self propelled drive works good. Not bad for free.

Out: unknown dirty oil
In: 5w30 Total Quartz 9000 Energy from AZ clearance.

Put a new spark plug in and fresh non-ethanol gas with some sea foam to clean out any gunk in the carb.

1997 Honda HRS216PDA
Decided to dump the black oil after chopping up leaves today. Changed the air filter, too.
Out: 11 oz. ST 10W-30 Lawnmower Oil mixed with B&S 10W-30 + 1 oz Rislone Ring Seal
In: 11 oz. ST 10W-30 Lawnmower Oil + 1 oz. Rislone
20231214_162714.jpg

Last edited:
2023 Ariens IKON 52 zero turn - 23 hp Kawasaki - bought brand new this season by a neighbor

Out: Factory fill, Kawasaki filter
In: Mobil 1 15w50, Fram PH3614

It was an OPE festival today, preparing for a cold snap. I bought a small Champion 2500 generator and its been in its box since Dec 2021 unused. Broke it in for 5 hours with a small space heater and a fan hooked up to it with whatever 500ml bottle of oil it came with. In went quaker state 10w30 semi synthetic 4x4 SL that i've been holding onto for awhile.

While I was at it, I brought out the Edger, Mower, and Plate Compactor which also got its first oil change, everything got Rotella T4 15w40. The mower was particularly nasty before the change, but its now running much smoother. I'm going to replace it this year whenever a Dewalt or Milwaukee battery mower deal comes along. The Plate Compactor did a great job with a culvert install and crushed concrete driveway refresh job for the mother in law over New Years. All of its accessories (water tank, pipe, soft underpad) vibrated off during the work but the engine is still connected.

1704925117527.png

1704925140688.png

1704925166108.png

Older troy bilt 2400 series snowblower ( was a curb find. I think it's 20 years old)

I ran citgo super guard high milage 0w20... Leftovers from a recent oil change.

At least it's not the half quart of atf that was in it.

Cub Cadet Ultima ZT2 - Kawasaki FR691V
Out: factory fill, Kawasaki filter
In: Supertech 15w40, AC Delco PF2210

Kawasaki Mule 610 - 13hp Kawasaki OHV
Out: Valvoline Motorcycle 10w40, Fram TG4967
In: Supertech Motorcycle 10w40 synthetic, Supertech ST4967

Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Riding mower
Out: T4 15W40, Kohler Filter, 45 hours
In: Mix of 50% 0W20 Total Quartz, 50% 5w40 Total Quartz, Fram Endurance 3614.

This is the MILs riding mower that I am repairing. The original drain loosened on its own and the mower lost all oil. Thankfully it was noticed, and parked until I was able to do a repair. I replaced the drain with a drain hose. I've done the same thing last year with a Craftsman riding mower that they are using until I return the Cub Cadet this summer.

1705624479108.jpg

Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Riding mower
Out: T4 15W40, Kohler Filter, 45 hours
In: Mix of 50% 0W20 Total Quartz, 50% 5w40 Total Quartz, Fram Endurance 3614.

This is the MILs riding mower that I am repairing. The original drain loosened on its own and the mower lost all oil. Thankfully it was noticed, and parked until I was able to do a repair. I replaced the drain with a drain hose. I've done the same thing last year with a Craftsman riding mower that they are using until I return the Cub Cadet this summer.

View attachment 199237
Was the original drain one of those "EZ drains" like found on a lot of Briggs mowers? I see those loosen quite a bit.

Back