Post your latest small engine oil change

2021 Simplicity Courier 42 inch Zero Turn, 23hp Briggs & Stratton
Out: Amsoil Small Engine 10w30, B&S filter# 696854 (6.1 hrs)
In: Amsoil Small Engine 10w30, B&S filter# 696854 (38.5 hrs)

Attachments

• IMG_6327.jpeg
    IMG_6327.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6328.jpeg
    IMG_6328.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6386.jpeg
    IMG_6386.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Changed the oil on my predator 212 backwater surface drive boat motor build. I doubt it has even 2 hours on it. The oil has been changed a couple times already. There’s still a good amount of glitter in the oil. Not sure how many hours of use before glitter is abnormal? Changed with qs 5w-40 euro full synthetic oil.

Briggs & Stratton Generator 5500W w/342cc engine
Out/In: Valvoline Full Synthetic HM w/ Maxlife Tech 10W-30
About 40 hours on oil, clean looking, no metal or swirls, darker translucent color.
Used this oil to help with a crank shaft seal leak, it worked.

Troy-Bilt snowblower 179cc engine.
Out/In: Rotella T 10w-30
About 25 hours on the oil, clean looking but smells like gas. But it runs great. Maybe because I exercise the engine for 10-15 minutes/month out of season.

The Kohler and ST3614 are identical. The MP3614 has only minor differences with the silicone valve and metal end caps. The Super Tech MP3614 is my pick for my Kohler ZT740. Champion Labs is producing some quality filters.

The Kohler and ST3614 are identical. The MP3614 has only minor differences with the silicone valve and metal end caps. The Super Tech MP3614 is my pick for my Kohler ZT740. Champion Labs is producing some quality filters.
I'm using them on my Kubota zt with a Kawasaki. ST6607 fits the Kubota zg227 with their Kubota branded engines. Currently about $3.50 ,hard to beat.

Vintage 1985 Troy-Bilt Pony with 5 HP Briggs flathead. Purchased direct at the factory in Troy, NY over the winter of 85/86. In other words, not an MTD product.

Out: Rotella T6 5w-40 with 2-1/2 seasons; black as night in the north Maine woods. No complaints about that oil.

In: Rotella T6 15w-40. It's not as if this machine is ever getting started below 40 degreed F.

View attachment 57402
I was using this machine yesterday with the same oil [May 2021] in the sump. Coming inside my wife and I immediately noticed that sulfur diesel oil smell. We don't get that reaction when I run the 2015 JD140 with the same oil, albeit I am farther from the exhaust and travelling much faster with that machine. So what are your thoughts? Is it the oil, or is it the rings and valve guides on that 37 year old B&S engine?

Generac 3100 Pressure Washer. Finished all the final cleanups of the year at my house and at mom’s, and ran the tank dry. Ran some RV antifreeze thru the pump for winter storage in case we get a really bad cold snap-it’s stored in garage. Engine has two drain plugs. Opened both so that both sides of the motor are fully drained:ROFLMAO:. Used a boneless chicken breast clear plastic tray as a oil collection tray (shallow and fit between the wheels very well).

Out: Don’t remember, but it was still fairly amber colored with some opaqueness/grayness
In: 20 ounces of Valvoline Conventional 10w-30

Ready for Spring!

Repowered my old 1981 Giant-Vac blower with a 9hp Honda GX270. Engine was a used "take off" from ebay, they usually only have an hour or two on them if that, and come from pressure washers with defective pumps that are exchanged.

Out: unknown oil that I ran for an hour or so
In: Napa 15w40

Back