Post your latest small engine oil change

IMG_20220809_033959964~2.jpg

1994 Snapper D20380 19" w/ 3.75HP Briggs
Out:??
In: Rotella T6 0W40
Picked this up over the winter, it's quite compact and nimble, changed the oil because I was looking at the blade and I noticed a bunch of oil on the floor, it appears to have all came out of the carb and dripped out the air cleaner, which is odd because the mower was turned on the other side, unless I managed to dump a bunch of oil into the breather system moving it around crap in my garage the other day and it dumped out when I turned it on it's side. The clutch is a little sticky because the balls are pretty pitted, got some generic 5/16 balls on order I'll see if that fixes the sticky retract and on occasion the clutch squawks but stop if you tap it or roll over a bump. If the clutch keeps acting screwy I guess I'll just trash it, I don't really want to spend around $20 on a new clutch for a backup mower that's already kind of rough and could probably use a new blade. They"re pretty expensive since it's a Snapper specific size(18.75" 3/8 center whole with a lip in the center that lock onto the square blade adapter) and the only blades you can find for it are Snapper/Briggs OE so like $30 shipped for one small blade.

Predator Generator 420 CC engine.
Out: Unknown
In: 1.2 qts of Powercare SAE 10w30 (Home Depot Brand)

I liked the fact that the Powercare came in 1.5 qt as I needed only 1.2 qt. Interested enough its API SJ approved

Last edited:
IMG_20220815_163907116_HDR~2.jpg

2002 24" Murray 2 stage snow blower with 8.5HP Tecumseh
Out:???
In: Rotella T6 0W-40
Picked this up with a 26in 10.5HP Tecumseh Troy-Bilt/Gardenway unit, $50 for both, both were not running but had compression, this one clearly had bad fuel in it, the other seemed dry and like it's been used significantly less, but I have a $10 china clone carb on the way because the inside was severely corroded so at one point it had water/ethanol gas left in it, this unit only needed the bad fuel cleaned out of it and it runs, I need to replace a tire as the valve stem was ripped and the rubber is pretty hard I don't think I can get a new stem in it.

Did rhe oil in my cheapo Troy Bilt 4 stroke 32cc straight shaft trimmer. The oil was changed last season and not much use. Out was PetroCan Duron SHP 10w30 and in went the same.

It still starts on a couple pulls cold but a bear on a hot restart. I ran three tanks of fuel through her recently.

1661651731789.jpg

2021 Craftsman M220 w/ 150cc Briggs OHV (625EXi) engine
Out: Rotella T6 0W-40
In: QSUD Euro 5W-40
I decided to change the oil since it'd been about a year and I've had the valve cover off it a few times trying to solve a leak, I think the cover just wasn't stamped right from the factory and wasn't flat in the lower left corner, it still leaked after coating the gasket in RTV, so I took the cover and gasket off an 8 year old head I had lying around off that I stole off a dead 125cc OHV Briggs (300E).

Homelite LR4400 backup generator w/B&S 8HP engine.

Out: 1-3/8 quarts of Rotella T6 5w40
In: 1 quart 10w30 Blaine’s F&F HDEO and 3/8 quart of T6.

Should be good for another 50 hours, power went out Monday evening about 6pm. Still out now, DTE saying maybe Thursday it could back on🤦‍♂️. Generator runs two sump pumps and three fridge/freezers.

Attachments

• B8FA1D99-2222-4FD7-B221-0FEB442EFEF4.jpeg
    B8FA1D99-2222-4FD7-B221-0FEB442EFEF4.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 10
Changed the oil on my mud motor build. Built with a backwater 6.5 ultralight long shaft boat motor kit, I installed a harbor freight predator 212 6.5hp engine. I ran it for about an hour with some supertech 10w-30 synthetic I had laying around, it had lots of glitter in it which is totally normal for break in oil out of these engines. Replaced it with some rotella 10w-40 oil and will run that another 3 hours then change again to its normal oil with will be cabelas 10w-30 boat oil this season then a 10w-30 synthetic afterwards. It will only see 20 hours max on it since my duck hunting spots are pretty close to the ditch I put in at. My big concern is the fact it’s tilted much more than if it were on a rototiller so I put a little more oil in it to compensate, hopefully the oil splashers can do their thing.

2022 Husqvarna Zero Turn 21.5hp Kawasaki motor
9.5 hrs
Out: Factory Fill
Off: Kawasaki 49065-0721

In: 2 qts Kawasaki 10w30 Synthetic Blend
On: Kawasaki 49065-0721 oil filter

Attachments

• IMG-2251.jpg
    IMG-2251.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 14
Husqvarna 48" Zero Turn. 24 hp Kohler V Twin 130 hrs.
Out: Unknown / OE Filter
In: Valvoline WB 10w40 / STP S3614 Filter.

1663554628000.png

2016 Husqvarna LC 221A w/ Briggs 625EX
Out:??
In:15W40 Rotella
I got this mower off a neighbor in exchange for mowing their yard a few times, they bought it at a garage sale a few years ago and didn't care for AWD and purchased a FWD mower instead, had to clean the bad gas out of it, it's got a strange air filter setup on it, it's the foam filter but it has the auto choke system, I hadn't seen one of these style of OHV Briggs with the foam filter that wasn't manual priming before. I have to say right off the bat I'm not impressed with the AWD setup, the idler pulleys are not shielded at all from grass and dust building up around them, and what guards there are over the belts seem to act as more of a plenum to direct grass clippings into the transmissions more so than shield them from it, I have the three pulleys on order, luckily it's only gonna set me back around $20, but the bearings on the idlers were trashed, one is completely seized, the other is not far from it, and the one that free spins isn't in good condition. I guess it's good I don't have the mulch plug because mulching with this unit would just mostly direct grass clippings into the belt guards to build up around the transmissions.

Changed oil in John Deere D110 that I put head and cam in about 40 hours. Lots of break-in metal. I normally don't go that long on new parts but engine was flushed,cleaned and wiped before assembly with assembly lube applied. Engine is quite and stronger than when it was new. Mower and lower end have 225 hours.
Oil in Briggs 30 grade 1qt and Valvoline Advanced 5w30 1qt Briggs oil filter
In Valvoline Advanced 5w30 new John Deere filter.

New B&S 20hp V-twin (2 hours)

Out: Supertech 15w-40 and tiny factory filter
In: Same oil and larger B&S filter

I like to do a quick oil change and filter on any new engine. I figure it’s cheap insurance in case there‘s a bunch of metal left behind from manufacturing.

Generac 8kw portable my friend bought brand new 2 years ago. When he last used it it had 65 hrs and I had changed the oil twice once at 5 hours with M1 15W50 and again at 50 hours. He lent it to someone last year for Ida and the guy totally trashed it. Low oil, thin and black. Had 549 hrs on the unit, probably on the same oil from when I changed it at 50. He also left the fuel petcock on and surprisingly it cranked right up and ran great on old gas. Changed the oil with Supertech 15W40 and tomorrow Ill drain the tank and fill it with fresh gas, change the spark plug and re-oil the air filter.

Honda 160cc on a Craftsman M140 push mower.
Out SuperTech 10w40 semi synthetic
In the same thing.
Not sure of hours but use the mower 2 hours at a time every 4-5 days. Had changed it mid summer I believe. Didn’t write it down. Figured new oil for the fall leaf clean up was OK. That little engine gets worked.

Back