Post your latest small engine oil change

Father's Day gift: a Predator chipper / shredder from Harbor Freight. Initial fill of 10w-30 Mobil1 High Mileage API SN ACEA A3/B3. The current generation API SP version of this oil has dropped the ACEA ratings so we have no idea of what the HTHS viscosity is. I have to say that this machine really sounds good when running; I am impressed with these Harbor Freight 212 CC engines. The first start required some starting fluid, but she's fired right up on subsequent starts now that the carb bowl is full. I'll check the spark plug after a few hours of use and replace with NGK Iridium if necessary.

IMG_2727.jpg

Father's Day gift: a Predator chipper / shredder from Harbor Freight. Initial fill of 10w-30 Mobil1 High Mileage API SN ACEA A3/B3. The current generation API SP version of this oil has dropped the ACEA ratings so we have no idea of what the HTHS viscosity is.
It should be the same the only reason the ACEA claims were dropped is that A3/B3 is no longer a valid sequence in ACEA-2021

Toro TimeCutter SS5000 w/ a Kawasaki FR691V engine

Out: 2qts 5w40 Rotella T6 and EcoGuard SE1 off
In: 1.75qts 5w40 Rotella T6 .25qt 10w40 Synthetic Kawasaki Oil and EcoGuard SE1 on

Not sure of the hours (no hour meter) but ended up being all last season and 10 weeks this season.

PXL_20220627_135014840.jpg

Another curb mower. This time a Honda HRR.

Out: unknown
In: Castrol Sae 30 HD

(carb throttle stop screw was adjust too far. Motor sounded like it wanted to fly. And air/fuel mix screw was tampered with. Nothing like adjusting 2 screws and having a perfectly running mower)

(carb throttle stop screw was adjust too far. Motor sounded like it wanted to fly. And air/fuel mix screw was tampered with. Nothing like adjusting 2 screws and having a perfectly running mower)
That thing is really messed up! How ya gonna cut grass with the wheels in the air?

View attachment 105593

Don't miss that with the Honda 160 . Use oil extractor . Ah , no more pain . 😬

2012 Snapper 2446 lawn tractor w/ Briggs Intek 24 HP engine
Hours: 240
OCI: 35 hours. Mower is only used about 25 hours a year.

Out: Miles Lubricants 5w-30 synthetic, Ecogard SE-1 oil filter
In: the same
Also lubed the spindles with Valvoline Red and installed 3 new Oregon (made in the USA) mower blades. Nice tip seen on YouTube to keep blades from turning while changing them is to put a C clamp with a small 3/4 inch board on the edge of the deck.

Last edited:
Repeat customer gave me a Honda Fg110 tiller. Said it hadn't been run in years. They no longer need it.

Out: no idea
In: Amsoil Small Engine 10w30. All 2.7 Oz of it.
PXL_20220718_004247932.jpg

Needs a new throttle cable is about it.

Circa 1973 Atlas Chipper w/ 5HP Briggs (206cc pre Quantum)
IMG_20220724_095058889.jpg

Out:???
In:0W40 Rotella

There was an estate sale in my neighborhood last weekend, and what was left the family just put up a sign saying everything in the backyard is free. It still had points had to sand probably a couple hundredths of an inch to get the pit out of it and it ran once and then died when I touched the throttle then the gap went over 40 thou wide so I set it back ran it several minutes then I shut it off and tried to start it again and couldn't get it to start, so I bought a cheap generic magneto of eBay and now it runs good. I've currently borrowed the air filter off a Briggs Sprint lawn mower engine, I need to order the proper air filter, I don't know if the previous owner remove the filter or if it disintegrated, because there was no filter in the housing and there was little bits of rotten foam laying on the fuel tank and a really nasty goopy oil sludge on everything in the filter housing.

Back