Post your latest small engine oil change

1999 Simplicity lawn tractor with Kohler CV-14 engine.

Out/In: Rotella T5 10w-30.

Filter: Motorcraft FL-910S held over from last year for a second season.

1992 MTD riding mower. 12 horse B&S ic with unknown hours on a slew of unknown oil. Got it for free and have been topping it off for the last 3 years with some synthetics or other random [censored] I may find lying around. It is a throw away and either burns or leaks most of its sump over a summer. I put in 1.5 litres of Coop silver 5w30 conventional. After 2 hours of use it is near black with fine metal particles. I may change the oil again here in a few days for fun.

1990 commercial grade Honda HR2160 H mower with GXV160 engine ~1,500 hours on it and close to zero oil consumption.

20oz Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 API SN.

New NGK BPR5ES spark plug, checked air filter, transmission oil and blade.

1999 Simplicity snow blower with 10 HP Tecumseh Snow King engine.

Out: Mobil Super Synthetic 5w-30
In: M1HM 5w-30

No filter on this engine.

(new to me) 2013 Simplicity Conquest 27 hp B&S Professional Series EFM

Out: Whatever the JD dealer put in...looks like possibly SAE 30 wt dino, JD filter that physically looks the same as the new filter

In: Mobil 1 10W-30 Extended Performance and B&S Premium filter

I looked over the used tractor prior to purchase and the oil looked very good, just a light honey color. The dealer changed oil and filter and within 2 hours the oil was like tar. Switched to M1 fully synthetic and now with 4 hours of use this oil is still nearly clear.

Early 2000s Troy-Bilt 18hp Briggs - 450 hours

Out: Briggs SAE30 that was topped off with Durablend 5w-30 and QS 10w-30

In: Mobil Super Synthetic 5w-30

Kept the same filter. Going on its third year now. I cut the last one open and it was still immaculate so I'm not gonna worry about it.

Early 2000's Snapper push mower with 6HP Briggs.

Out: 5-8 year old shimmering brown/bronze bulk 5w30 conventional.

In: Mix old-stock SM M1 5w30 (maybe 8 oz) and new stock ST 5w30 conventional to top of acceptable range on dipstick, as well as new air filter (replace OEM filter), and new primer-bulb (OE primer bulb was hard and took 3-4 seconds to reset after being pushed).

2010 Husqvarna tractor 27HP Briggs V twin
out Rotella 0W-40 WIX 51348
in Rotella 15W-40 WIX 51348

Last edited:
Grandfather's Scag 61" commercial mower - 22HP Kohler Command OHV

Out: Kohler 10w30, Napa Gold 1056
In: Rotella T 15w40, Napa Gold 1056

641 hours on machine. Its starting to consume a bit of oil so stepped it up to a 15w40 HDEO. He only runs it in the summer so it should be good.

I've done two recently:

2003 Craftsman LT-2000 w/Kohler Command CV490s

Out: Castrol GTX 10w30, Purolator PL10241
In: Castrol GTX 10w30, Motorcraft FL-910S

Notes: This machine probably has about 500 hours on it (no meter), has always been run on the same oil and runs as it did the day I bought it. I has never consumed any oil. These Kohler Command singles are solid engines, IMO.

2009 Cub Cadet Z-Force 48 Fab ZTR w/Kohler Courage SV820

Out: Castrol GTX 10w-30, Kohler 12 050 01-S
In: Chevron Delo 400 LE 15w-40, Motorcraft FL-400S

Notes: I was running the GTX during initial break-in of a new short block (5 hours). The Courage really seems to love the Delo--it is noticeably quieter and smoother. It consumed a bit of oil during break-in, and I will keep an eye on it.

I would use the Delo or Rotella 15w-40 in the Command if I didn't believe the hydraulic lash adjusters required the specified 10w-30. However, the 10w-30 has done so well in there, so there's no point in changing.

Last edited:
Generic Chinese generator. Single cylinder Brigg's clone.
Out: Peak conventional 10W-30
In: 1 quart QS Defy 10W-40
The Peak was getting very thin an gassy, so I grabbed a quart of Defy out of the truck. We'll see how it holds up to fuel dilution.

Parents 9 year old - MTD Big wheel push mower - with Honda GCV160

OCI - 1 yr - Min 60 hrs maybe closer to 80

Out - Amsoil 4stroke Small Engine oil 10W-30 -

In - Frakenbrew - various brands conventional and synthetic 5w30 and 10W30 leftovers with a few ozs of MOS2 mixed in

Also had to replace spark plug and air filter - both full of oil - was tipped over upside down
33.gif
to remove bailing wire from blade.

1995 Lawnboy with Briggs & Stratton 6.5HP Commercial

Just changed it a week ago.

Estimated use on oil - 50 hrs

Out: 0.5qt Pennzoil HD-30W (API SL)

In: 0.5qt Advance Auto Parts 30W (Warren NorthEast stamp on the bottom)

Ever since we've had the mower it gets whatever 30W is cheapest...it's seen aplenty of store brands or Castrol or Pennzoil HD-30. I've even used some 10w40 in it but it seems to burn a little of the multi-weights so I stick with a 30. It still runs like a dream and burns no oil with the 30W
smile.gif

Last edited:
Snapper rear engine rider. 8HP Briggs. Out, ???. In, 28 ounces of Delo 30 weight.
This Snapper was originally a 25" hi-vac. The deck, blade and spindle were damaged long ago, and it sat for 10 years. The local Snapper dealer said it could not be repaired, parts were no longer available. Technically, he was correct. However, the 28" deck is available, as well as the spindle common to all the RER's. So, a little comparison shopping, and a new 28" deck, spindle and blade were obtained. I reassembled the thing this past weekend, (all the parts are a direct bolt up), and with fresh fuel, got it going. So it's back in use, and on Delo with a change planned about every 15 hours or so.

Last edited:
2014 Craftsman G5500 Garden Tractor, 24hp Briggs & Stratton Platinum V-twin at 28.1 hours.

Out: factory fill

In: Mobil 1 5w30 EP and an OEM filter (yellow).

Back