Post your latest small engine oil change

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Generators all serviced in anticipation of Hurricane Irma.
My Coleman with the Subaru motor was the only one pushed into service for 4 days, shut off only 1/2 hour a day for fuel up and oil check.
Ran flawlessly with no oil usage with Havoline Full Synthetic 10w30.
I serviced four Generators with a hodgepodge of oils in garage. Honda Whacker got Havoline 10w30 full synthetic/ Briggs Statton Powerback 11 hp Industrial got HD 30 Quaker State green bottle and Troy Built 5500 Briggs Statton. Got Coleman brand Generator oil that I bought at a estate sale. The Subaru got a oil change of Polaris PS4 Extreme four stroke oil whatever weight it is before getting put away after the power came back.

Do you have the 5KW run, 6250 start unit? I have that and it's very reliable.

Troy-Bilt pressure washer - 5hp Honda GC160

Out: black water
In: Rotella T5 10w30

Also changed the pump oil with some Napa 30w

This needs a new carb also (which is on order). The customer said it sat outside for 5 years or so, and the carb is full of corrosion and rust. Luckily a new carb is $15. It only barely runs on full choke.

John Deere 425 Kawasaki liquid cooled 20hp, out Rotella T5 10w30 syn blend, in Delo 400LE 5w40 full syn.

buddies new Powermate 3250kw generator bought today, 208cc Generac engine. I used supertech 15W40, will run that for 5 hours and after that it will get Supertech 15W40 at 50 hr intervals. it has a dual hourmeter/voltmeter.

Champion 3500 watt inverter generator. Drained PYB 5w30 used for 6 hour initial break-in period. Filled with M1 0w40 Euro (non-FS)

Reasoning: Recommended oil weights span 5w30 to 10w40, this oil is close to a 30 weight with good HTHS and TBN.

Oil change took 15 minutes, cleanup took over an hour after I knocked the coffee can of used oil over on the driveway.

Changed the lawnmower from Amsoil 4 Stroke to Amsoil 4 Stroke 30wt. (2 years in service 40 Hours)

Going to change the snowblower this weekend. Same oil.

Craftsman L&G with 22HP Kohler Command. Delo 30 out and in, ST3614 ECore from the closeout shelf for a buck. That's the very last of my 99 cent a gallon Delo from AZ. Stabil Marine, and the battery on a Tender.
Honda snowblower, out VPB 10w30, in Mobil 1630. All I run in it is VP SEF, so good to go when the snow flies.

Last edited:
Wow. Last post for a small engine oil change around here was October?

Just changed the oil in the '47 Ford 2N Tractor today. Not sure how many people would call that a "small engine", but I count it.

It got a dose of Valvoline 5W-30 Synthetic and a Wix 51010 filter for the winter. Starts much quicker and easier in this Indiana winter with this combo. Fired right up at 8 degrees F, -2 windchill and drug the manure to the pile after mucking stalls! Out came Harvest King 15W-40 HDEO and same filter.

Long live the Ford Tractor!

Coleman Powermate Generator with Subaru 10 HP engine

Out: Super Tech 30W

In: Rotella 15W40

Last edited:
Yesterday I changed the oil in both of my champion generators. It's been I think two to three years since they both had the oil replaced.

Mobil 1 0w40 for both.

Toro Power Max 726 oe snow thrower

Out: NAPA full synthetic 5w-30
In: NAPA full synthetic 5w-30

I bought a couple of quarts when it was on sale last. Seems to work fine for my Briggs and Stratton motor

Honda HRX series mower and 2kw inverter generator.
Out: Rotella 15w-40
In: Rotella 15w-40

Warmed the engines a bit and circulate the oil. Tilt so oil toward the dipstick side. Used suction pump to pump out oil, fill, test, clean, all ready to go again.

Changed the oil n filter on the old riding mower

craftsman GT5000
Kohler V2 25HP

I had been a little over a year

OUT: PYB 10w30
Carquest R85348

IN: supertech 10w30 conventional 2 qts
Purolator L10241 red can oil filter

2016 Troy Bilt snowthrower. China made 179cc engine. First oil change on factory fill. About 5-10 hours, approximately.
Out: Whatever stuff Lowes put in it.
In: Motul Econergy 8100 5w30 synthetic (awful cap!)

Last edited:
Back