Post your latest oil change

2018 Toyota 4Runner
4.0 V6
Out: unknown oil, unknown cartridge filter
In: Fram Synthetic 0w20, Swepco 502 Oil Improver, Napa Gold cartridge filter
That’s pretty thin oil for a 4.0, would go with a 30 weight in the future. Thicker viscosity at operating temp offers more engine protection.

That’s pretty thin oil for a 4.0, would go with a 30 weight in the future. Thicker viscosity at operating temp offers more engine protection.
0w20 is the factory specd viscosity on practically all Toyotas made in the last 15 years or so. I don't necessarily disagree with you about using a heavier oil long term, but 0w20 is what is specified.

0w20 is the factory specd viscosity on practically all Toyotas made in the last 15 years or so. I don't necessarily disagree with you about using a heavier oil long term, but 0w20 is what is specified.
It’s in the US owners manual because of CAFE. It’s not necessarily in the best interest of the owner. Here is the oil chart from outside the US. It’s same exact thing for my Tacoma. Your 4Runner is really rated up to 15w-40. 0w-20 is the thinnest oil allowed. Something to consider.

IMG_3931.jpeg

IMG_1337.jpeg

Last edited:
2021 Subaru Ascent
5200 miles on oil

Out:
Kirkland Signature 0w20
Fram TG 7317

In:
Mobil 1 0w20 AFE
Wix 57055

I purchased the 12 quart box from Wally’s to try. I usually use Pennzoil Platinum or Kirkland but I didn’t feel like hassling with the rebate or waiting for a Costco run.

I now have 8 filters to cut open as soon as I can squirrel some OT money away and purchase a cutter I’ll try my hand at cutting and posting my findings on here.

lavrisheo
Kennedy reports on tons of oil changes he accomplishes. I'm assuming these reports are of clients of his and most-all mechanics like Kennedy will use the oil grade that's specified for the vehicle engine, unless told otherwise.

Mechanics I know will state on the receipt ownership wanted to use a different grade than what the manufacturer specs.
When I took my daughter's 3.6 for an oil change at Planet Oil Change Shop, they barked hard (but did not bite) when I handed them a five quart jug of 0w40 instead of 5w30. They mentioned the ownership 0w40 request on the receipt.

Last edited:
lavrisheo
Kennedy reports on tons of oil changes he accomplishes. I'm assuming these reports are of clients of his and most-all mechanics like Kennedy will use the oil grade that's specified for the vehicle engine, unless told otherwise.

Mechanics I know will state on the receipt ownership wanted to use a different grade than what the manufacturer specs.
When I took my daughter's 3.6 for an oil change at Planet Oil Change Shop, they barked hard (but did not bite) when I handed them a five quart jug of 0w40 instead of 5w30. They mentioned the ownership 0w40 request on the receipt.
Pretty much this. The only vehicle I own is a 2004 Silverado with a 5.3, it gets 15w40 year round. The yota is a car sale buy my boss bought to flip. His flippers get the cheap oil and a bottle of Swepco 502. So do some of his personal/work vehicles. Most however get either Amsoil Signature Series or Swepco 306 based on the age of the vehicle and if there are warranty restraints.

2008 CRV. 232k on the car, just over 4200 on the OCI. I was going to wait until 5k but daughter heading back to school in AM, not sure when coming back yet. Also had NYS inspection done this morning at dealer.

Out - PP 5W-30 and 1qt HPL EC30, XG7317. Very minor stuff sticking to the new Votex magnetic plug.
In - 1.5qts PP 5W-30, 2.5 qts PP Euro L 5W-30 and 1qt HPL PCMO 5W-30, XG7317. Trying to use up the open jugs.

CRV only calls for 4.4qts with filter change. When checked on level ground was only 1/4 way between dipstick holes. I added the extra to bring to 5qts and now shows full. My waste jug had at least 4.7qts in it.
IMG_5858.jpg

2018 Dodge Grand Caravan

Out: Frankenblend of HPL PCMO Premium Plus and HPL Supercar 0w20 and a Mobil 1 filter.

In: 1 leftover quart of HPL Super Car 0w20, 5 quarts of HPL supercar 0w30, Mobil 1 filter.

Now at 107,774 miles, 13,661 miles on the oil. My oldest son helped out with this one, only a minor mess lol.

IMG_9658.jpeg

2008 CRV. 232k on the car, just over 4200 on the OCI. I was going to wait until 5k but daughter heading back to school in AM, not sure when coming back yet. Also had NYS inspection done this morning at dealer.

Out - PP 5W-30 and 1qt HPL EC30, XG7317. Very minor stuff sticking to the new Votex magnetic plug.
In - 1.5qts PP 5W-30, 2.5 qts PP Euro L 5W-30 and 1qt HPL PCMO 5W-30, XG7317. Trying to use up the open jugs.

CRV only calls for 4.4qts with filter change. When checked on level ground was only 1/4 way between dipstick holes. I added the extra to bring to 5qts and now shows full. My waste jug had at least 4.7qts in it.
View attachment 207532
Our CRV calls for less than 5qts but it always shows low and I have to add close to 5qts

Back