In:
F73A13A7-005B-4959-960F-56375E15F5F7.jpeg
turkey based the power steering w Castro dex/merc, also

2020 Equinox 1.5t
Out: Pennzoil PPPP with Purolator 5k filter
In: Valvoline EP and Fram Ultra 12060 filter

Miles on car 31845
Miles on oil 1835

I changed because I did not like the startup noise in the morning. I wasn’t sure if it was oil or filter, or another reason. After the change there has been no noise. Will not use cheap purolator filter.

2020 Equinox 1.5t
Out: Pennzoil PPPP with Purolator 5k filter
In: Valvoline EP and Fram Ultra 12060 filter

Miles on car 31845
Miles on oil 1835

I changed because I did not like the startup noise in the morning. I wasn’t sure if it was oil or filter, or another reason. After the change there has been no noise. Will not use cheap purolator filter.
I've never questioned when members say certain oil filters cause start up noise (due to failed ADBV or other reason) as it makes logical sense. An empty oil filter has to fill back up before the engine can build oil pressure, low oil pressure certainly could cause a variety of engine noises. Having said that I can't think of a time where my engines have exhibited any start up chatter after any oil changes, where the filter is completely empty and completely dry! Not doubting your post in any way, just my observation.

An empty oil filter has to fill back up before the engine can build oil pressure, low oil pressure certainly could cause a variety of engine noises. Having said that I can't think of a time where my engines have exhibited any start up chatter after any oil changes, where the filter is completely empty and completely dry!
All engines are different. Only engine I've had that made any noises after an oil change with a new empty filter on it was a Nissan Altima with the VQ35. The cam chains would rattle for a few seconds. Other vehicles I've had wouldn't make any noises after an oil and filter change.

Last edited:
All engines are different. Only engine I've had that made any noises after an oil change with a new empty filter on it was a Nissan Altima with the VQ35. The cam chains would rattle for a few seconds. Other vehicles I've had wouldn't make any noises after an oil and filter change.
I agree. Just sharing my experience.

I wouldn’t mind if the noise was right after the oil change but it continued every morning startup. It’s not happening now so besides the oil I changed the filter and the noise stopped. It had to be the filter with nitrile DBV

I wouldn’t mind if the noise was right after the oil change but it continued every morning startup. It’s not happening now so besides the oil I changed the filter and the noise stopped. It had to be the filter with nitrile DBV
That would be my conclusion as well, likely just a faulty filter. I suppose some engines are just more sensitive to start up noise than others.

2022 Toyota 4runner, 7400km
Out, factory fill
In, Valvoline advanced 0w20 and OEM filter.
Good for another 6 months 8000km. I wouldn't say it is silent, but for a 4runner in cold climate, definately seems to be smoother/quieter than on the factory fill. No oil consumption at all on the break in period, oil seemed quite dark, but filter looked real good, no visible metal shaving or shiny things... Hope to get as much km as possible on this truck, I won't let some stupid dealership tech mess with this truck, lesson learned from previous experiences...

Back