Post your latest oil change

This probably DOES NOT qualify as an OIL CHANGE as there was no CHANGE of oil...... :cool:

2005 Porsche Boxster 2.7 (M1 0W 40, Hengest filter, OCI - once year)

Out: 0.5-6 or so(?) qrt of M1 0W 40
In: NONE

Overfilled by a tiny bit (back in July) and decided to drain by removing the filter / housing (did it twice) - I didn't really care but my friend kept insisting as if my engine was going to blow ;-) Back to the "recommended level."

Would have been nice if there was a fumoto valve like our other vehicles but the car too low :)

Attachments

• 20230929_141011.jpg
    20230929_141011.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 8
This probably DOES NOT qualify as an OIL CHANGE as there was no CHANGE of oil...... :cool:

Overfilled by a tiny bit (back in July) and decided to drain by removing the filter / housing (did it twice) - I didn't really care but my friend kept insisting as if my engine was going to blow ;-) Back to the "recommended level."
Would ha

Would have been nice if there was a fumoto valve like our other vehicles but the car too low :)
If you had driven it that way since July what realistically do you think the chances of blowing the engine where?
A small manual extractor would have worked well for this.

If you had driven it that way since July what realistically do you think the chances of blowing the engine where?
A small manual extractor would have worked well for this.
Oh..that was a joke....

I thought I would just "try" draining via the filter / housing as it didn't take too long (I also have ramps). Also, been getting a bit more oil burning, white smoke at the start up (a notorious, infamous Porsche Air-Oil-Separator issue) than usual so just trying to see if "less oil" can alleviate the issue. I know I have to replace AoS one of these days but certainly don't want to accelerate it :)

I also have a MityVac-like extractor I use for tranny fluids but didn't want to bother with cleaning. Also I may have considered this if the car has a dip stick tube as I don't want to go through the engine to the pan from the top.

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5, 109K

Out: @High Performance Lubricants PCEO 10W20, Wix Oil Filter, 6,531 miles
In: @High Performance Lubricants PCEO 5W30, Wix Oil Filter

1.75 qt of oil was added during the course of the interval. At the time of oil change, it was also 3/4 qt low - so it would have been 2.5 qt consumed over a ~6,500 mile period. Stepping up to a 5W30 this time to see if there is any improvement.

View attachment 148482
Update:

Out: HPL 5W30, Wix Oil Filter, 7090 miles
In: M1 AFE 0W20, Wix Oil Filter

Went with M1 since I am out of HPL - need to order more.

The oil consumption with 5W30 was a lot less. It was 4/5 qt low at time of oil change.

I added 1 qt after 3,428 miles. So in total, oil consumption would have been 1.8 qt over the 7,090 mile interval.

Now, is the oil consumption improving due to HPL cleaning up the engine or is it purely due to the higher viscosity? We will see.

How many miles on the oil filter? Why change just the filter every year?

Filter material can degrade with age.
Doubt that, not within a year. What filter are you using? I've seen oil filters left on engines for 2-3 years (that have 3-5K miles on the filter) that look great when cut open and inspected - zero degradation.

Doubt that, not within a year. What filter are you using? I've seen oil filters left on engines for 2-3 years (that have 3-5K miles on the filter) that look great when cut open and inspected - zero degradation.
Not a single automotive light duty OEM or filter mfg allows for more than 1 yr.

Not a single automotive light duty OEM or filter mfg allows for more than 1 yr.
It's their CYA statement, and they assume a vehicle will be driven 10K+ miles per year. Never seen any oil filter degrade with time, including many cut open on this board that were left on for between 1 and 3+ years in low use vehicles - low use is key. Obviously, nobody should leave a filter on for 3 years and 30K miles, but that's been done too, lol ... by a few members here.

I know of a few cases where the filter was left on for around 5 years, and no degradation was seen. But yeah, if you're afaid of "old" filters, then swap away.

PS - How often do you change the oil since it seems you run that for more than a year.

Last edited:
Not sure if small engines are allowed here, but here goes. My 1950s Briggs Model 5S.

Original asking price $50, scored it for $35 because the seller wasn't sure if it ran or not, and it had been on Marketplace almost 6 months. Literally all I did was tighten the two screws that hold the carb and fuel tank to the engine, and pour some fresh gas in the tank (linked video is prior to oil change).

Wrapped some random rope I had around the pulley, started on the first try!!!

OUT: Maybe(?) 4 ounces of some abomination representing a mixture of tar and graphite
IN: About 12 oz. VP Racing Small Engine Oil SAE 30 (local WM had it on clearance $2.00/18oz bottle so I got one)

Filters don't implode on day 366, lol. Seen many filters ran for 2-3 years here (over the last 13+ years) on low use vehicles, and then cut & posted, and none have ever degraded or failed simply from age.

Last edited:
2014 Sion XB 2.4 2AZ-FE
79647 mi. 5 mo., 3800 mi. OCI.

Out: PP 5w30, Beck-Arnley filter
IN: Same

After years of Castrol syn 5W20, I had done two changes with PUP 5W20. This change is the second one with PP 5W30. Oil consumption dropped significantly after the PUP and the PP seems to be maintaining the progress. Perhaps a qt. in 1400 mi prior, to about a qt. in 2000 now. I believe the PUP is a pretty good cleaner.

Back