Post your latest oil change

2002 Ford F-150 4x4, 4.6 2 valve. 141,000 miles. 6 quarts of Valvoline High Mileage full synthetic 5w20 oil.
New Mobil 1 oil filter. Changed about 1,100 miles ago.
Running smoother than it ever has and, does not use a quart now every 1000 miles!
Still on full! Very satisfied.

2013 Civic LX, 113K, 5K OCI
out: 4 qts M1 0w20
in: 4 qts Kirkland 0w20 left Fram XG7317
1624135664245.jpg

1624135699759.jpg

(Overwriting my previous post, just saw the service invoice.)
2004 Honda S2000, 67638 mi, 3888 mi OCI
Out: PUP 10W-30, Genuine Honda Filter
In: Genuine Honda 10W-30 Synthetic Blend, Genuine Honda Filter

I'm not in the US right now, my stepdad took her in today for my peace of mind. He doesn't trust other shops. I also didn't have enough PUP to have the dealer use it. I wanted to check my valve clearance (unsure if previous owner(s) did before I purchased her) during this oil change but that won't happen until I return to the US.

Honda does have a full synthetic 10W-30 oil, not sure if dealer didn't recommend it to my stepdad/didn't have it in stock/purposefully put in synthetic blend.

Last edited:
2004 Toyota 4Runner 200,322 miles.

Out: Mobil 1 5w-30, Toyota YZZD3 oil filter
In: Mobil 1 0w-40, Toyota YZZD3 oil filter

I did a lot of work on the 4Runner over the last few weeks. I replaced the front upper and lower control arms, the inner and outer tie rod ends, new shocks and springs, installed a heavy duty steel skid plate, bought a new battery, polished out the faded headlights, and bought new 255/80r17 Toyo MT's.

IMG_1036.JPG

2007 Tacoma PreRunner AccessCab TRD Off-Road (V6, Automatic), 238,361 miles.

Out: M1-EP 5W-30 (Previous fill: May 2020, 228,914 miles) (OCI: 13 months, 9447 miles)

In: 3 qts M1-EP 5W-30, 2.5 qts M1-AP 5W-30, Fram Ultra (Had a few qts of the AP left over from the 2019 Auto Zone clearance).

I did take a sample and will be sending it in this week. I’ll post in the UOA section when I get the results.

Also recently replaced plugs (NGK V-Power copper), and replaced coolant (drained just under 8 qts from radiator, reservoir, and both block drains). That leaves about 2 quarts I didn’t get, but what came out didn’t look too bad, especially since it had been in there since Oct 2012, when the truck had ~ 100,000 miles.

And what I’m really excited about is a set of 2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road shocks and struts I just bought from a guy on the Tacoma World Forum. They have less than 400 miles on them! These are a direct bolt-on replacement, and should not only improve handling and ride, but also raise the front of the truck and reduce the stinkbug look it’s always had, but which has gotten worse in the last couple of years as the stock springs have sagged a bit. The 2021 units have a slightly higher spring rate, I’ve read.

The guy bought the truck and then almost immediately installed aftermarket suspension. He advertised them for $200. Unfortunately he’s in Las Vegas, so he charged me another $175 to ship them, but I still consider it a steal! Should be one heck of an upgrade in ride and handling, considering that im still on the original, 238,000 mile suspension!

Im debating whether to get an alignment after replacing the struts & shocks. The truck has never needed an alignment. We’ll see how it tracks after replacing those shocks & struts, I suppose.

This has been my daily driver for 14 years this month, since I bought it new in June 2007!

An interesting fact (and one that’s kinda sickening, actually) is that I’ve now spent more money in fuel to run this truck, than what I paid for it (238,000 miles, @ 17 MPG = 14,000 gallons of fuel, @ $2/gal = $28,000).

Its never had anything but Mobil 1 in the crankcase. Still runs phenomenally, and uses no appreciable oil over 9-10K OCIs.

Only a few slight issues:

- Seeping valve cover gaskets and timing cover, but they’ve never leaked enough for a drop to hit the ground (Or the exhaust). That’ll be my next project. Want to get it cleaned up.

- Slight torque converter shudder (I imagine that’s what it is, as I’ve replaced u-joints and carrier bearing recently). Most noticeable when I accelerate hard in first gear. I’ve heard a product called Lubeguard might fix this, or, a different fluid (I’ve changed out fluid twice, at 100K and 200K, both times using OEM WS fluid).

- Intermittently, the cruise control will fail to work. I think it’s the switch, which is a pretty easy fix, from what I can tell.

- Soft brake pedal. May just need a good bleed to firm up. Been a few years since I flushed the system. Wouldn’t hurt to do it again. Maybe this fall.

Other than that, I love the truck. I just washed and clayed it today, and used some Ultimate Compound to polish the hood, where it had some hard water spots from the sprinkler. Used some of the Griot’s Garage 3-In-1 Spray Wax that the guys over on the Detail & Wax section talked me into buying. Also got some of the Griot’s Ceramic Detailer Spray to use as a drying aid and to boost the protection after every wash. Should be an easy system to maintain the Black Sand Metallic finish, which still mostly looks good, despite door dings and paint failure and the resultant rust on the roof that I need to address. Need to Polish the headlights again, as well. Did it once, with the 3M kit, and they were perfect, but then I didn’t use any protectant, and they oxidized again.

Well, if you’re still reading, this is the result of being overcaffeinated at 2:30 am!

Thanks for reading, and happy oil changing!

416DD623-2653-4C16-A455-D5CFC6266680.jpeg

Last edited:

Out: M1-EP 5W-30 (Previous fill: May 2020, 228,914 miles) (OCI: 13 months, 9447 miles)

In: 3 qts M1-EP 5W-30, 2.5 qts M1-AP 5W-30, Fram Ultra (Had a few qts of the AP left over from the 2019 Auto Zone clearance).

I did take a sample and will be sending it in this week. I’ll post in the UOA section when I get the results.

Also recently replaced plugs (NGK V-Power copper), and replaced coolant (drained just under 8 qts from radiator, reservoir, and both block drains). That leaves about 2 quarts I didn’t get, but what came out didn’t look too bad, especially since it had been in there since Oct 2012, when the truck had ~ 100,000 miles.

And what I’m really excited about is a set of 2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road shocks and struts I just bought from a guy on the Tacoma World Forum. They have less than 400 miles on them! These are a direct bolt-on replacement, and should not only improve handling and ride, but also raise the front of the truck and reduce the stinkbug look it’s always had, but which has gotten worse in the last couple of years as the stock springs have sagged a bit. The 2021 units have a slightly higher spring rate, I’ve read.

The guy bought the truck and then almost immediately installed aftermarket suspension. He advertised them for $200. Unfortunately he’s in Las Vegas, so he charged me another $175 to ship them, but I still consider it a steal! Should be one heck of an upgrade in ride and handling, considering that im still on the original, 238,000 mile suspension!

Im debating whether to get an alignment after replacing the struts & shocks. The truck has never needed an alignment. We’ll see how it tracks after replacing those shocks & struts, I suppose.

This has been my daily driver for 14 years this month, since I bought it new in June 2007!

An interesting fact (and one that’s kinda sickening, actually) is that I’ve now spent more money in fuel to run this truck, than what I paid for it (238,000 miles, @ 17 MPG = 14,000 gallons of fuel, @ $2/gal = $28,000).

Its never had anything but Mobil 1 in the crankcase. Still runs phenomenally, and uses no appreciable oil over 9-10K OCIs.

- Seeping valve cover gaskets and timing cover, but they’ve never leaked enough for a drop to hit the ground (Or the exhaust). That’ll be my next project. Want to get it cleaned up.

- Slight torque converter shudder (I imagine that’s what it is, as I’ve replaced u-joints and carrier bearing recently). Most noticeable when I accelerate hard in first gear. I’ve heard a product called Lubeguard might fix this, or, a different fluid (I’ve changed out fluid twice, at 100K and 200K, both times using OEM WS fluid).

- Intermittently, the cruise control will fail to work. I think it’s the switch, which is a pretty easy fix, from what I can tell.

- Soft brake pedal. May just need a good bleed to firm up. Been a few years since I flushed the system. Wouldn’t hurt to do it again. Maybe this fall.

Other than that, I love the truck. I just washed and clayed it today, and used some Ultimate Compound to polish the hood, where it had some hard water spots from the sprinkler. Used some of the Griot’s Garage 3-In-1 Spray Wax that the guys over on the Detail & Wax section talked me into buying. Also got some of the Griot’s Ceramic Detailer Spray to use as a drying aid and to boost the protection after every wash. Should be an easy system to maintain the Black Sand Metallic finish, which still mostly looks good, despite door dings and paint failure and the resultant rust on the roof that I need to address. Need to Polish the headlights again, as well. Did it once, with the 3M kit, and they were perfect, but then I didn’t use any protectant, and they oxidized again.

Well, if you’re still reading, this is the result of being overcaffeinated at 2:30 am!

View attachment 60930
Great write-up. Love hearing how you’ve taken care of the truck and how well it’s lasted. Hopefully the tranny will hold on…

View attachment 60930
Ditto on the great write up!!! FOR SURE give the LubeGuard Red a shot in the tranny. Had the shutter in my Acura TL in signature when purchased with 67,xxx miles from original owner. Spilled and Filled with Honda DW1 and added a bottle of the LubeGuard Red and within 1000 miles -- shutter totally gone and shifts smooth. Been spilling and filling now every 20K. and adding a bottle of the LubeGuard Red also.

2002 Ford F-150 4x4, 4.6 2 valve. 141,000 miles. 6 quarts of Valvoline High Mileage full synthetic 5w20 oil.
New Mobil 1 oil filter. Changed about 1,100 miles ago.
Running smoother than it ever has and, does not use a quart now every 1000 miles!
Still on full! Very satisfied.
Is the high mileage with "Max Life", btw.

2018 Subaru Legacy Sport.
23,333 Miles on car. 5,991 Miles on Oil. ~6 months of use.
In/Out M1 0W-20 EP and Subaru Filter. Also changed cabin air filter with Wix Carbon filter. Added a bottle of Amsoil PI. I know most people add theirs before their OC but I always add after. No specific reason for it. Just easier for me.

2014 Subaru Forester 6MT 2.5L NA
ODO: 78,420

Estimated hours on oil: 64
Miles on oil: 2,625
Out: 5.5qt of mix (7 parts Delvac 1300 15w-40 + 3 parts Mobil 1 EPHM 5w-20) + 2 pt rislone high mileage concentrate
In: 1 pt rislone high mileage concentrate + 5qt Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro

Off: XG7317
Estimated hours on filter: 84 +64 = 148
Miles on filter: 3,195 + 2,625 = 5820
On: XG7317

For the trailing oil: car consumed 1 pt, replaced with rislone 4102. Did not show signs of consumption for the next ~380 miles. Consumption seemed to slowly return after commuting to and from work; added 1 pt of 70:30 Delvac:M1EPHM mix. Consumption continued at same pace; replaced 1 pt with rislone 4102 for last 80 miles (ODO 78,340) for more severe final cleaning. Changed at Walmart Auto.

From what I can tell, I don't see oil leaking, and the tube connecting the PCV valve to the intake manifold has some oil in it. (no oil around PCV valve threads, no pooling on engine; oil only in the tube.) I suspect stuck compression rings due to either varnish or carbon. Looking to install a catch can on this OCI. I am not sure how well the PCV baffling is, but this should help keep oil from being sprayed into the cylinder. Most people's remedies on subaruforester(dot)org involve thicker oil (either additional oil cooling or M1 0w-40 euro) to cut consumption rate in half, but no one has tried PCV replacement or the catch can. I have already cleaned the PCV valve last time, so I don't suspect that. Also added Gumout AIO fuel cleaner in gas this time for elevated PEA.

Despite this, the optimism for restabilizing a low consumption rate (1pt-1qt in 10km) is not strong.
2014 Subaru Forester 6MT 2.5L NA
ODO: 82,570

Estimated hours on oil: ~92
Miles on oil: 78,420 - 82570 = 4,150
Out: 1 pt rislone high mileage concentrate + 5qt Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro
In: 5 qt Delo XLE 15w-40

Off: N/A round 2 for XG7317
Estimated hours on filter: ~92
Miles on filter: 4,150
On: N/A round 2 for XG7317

For the trailing oil: Indiscernible consumption during low RPM driving (71mph cap, 2.7k rpm cap). I tested driving above 3k rpm (3-4k rpm) for getting up to cruising speed from a stop 3 times. Upon getting to work and checking dipstick, It read a lower level. I added 1 pt rislone high mileage concentrate to the sump 200 miles before the change (almost 2x concentrate for high cleaning).

Changed the oil saturday evening, started up the car and moved it. Sunday morning, I decided to pull the MAP sensor since it is in close proximity to the PCV to intake manifold inlet. Sure enough, it was very oily; spray cleaned the sensor and port with CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Took some extra turning over to start. Hasn't struggled to start since then. Bluetooth OBDII now shows cruising (70mph) MAP at ~20ish inHg. Idle is reading fairly low, <15 inHg. ...Surely that can't be right?

2008 Ranger 3.0
Out: ST HM FS 5W-20 (SN+) and a Motorcraft FL-400S (UOA results pending)
In: ST HM FS 0W-20 (SP) and a Fram XG3600 (VOA results pending)

This Ranger specs 4.5 qts with filter. I've read on Ranger forums that adding 5 qts gets it up to the full mark on the dipstick. My last oil change I put in 5 qts and sure enough it got to the full mark. This time I put in 4.5 qts just to see where it ends up on the dipstick, and it was squarely at the midpoint. Funny that Ford wants the oil level to be at the midpoint. At least I've confirmed that it's exactly 1 qt between the low and high mark on the dipstick. That seems to be the industry standard but I've never tested it til now.

Busy day in my driveway today

My ‘19 Chevy Silverado 5.3 liter
OD reading 52,756
Out: 8 quarts of Valvoline Advanced FS 0w20 and an AC Delco PF63E oil filter
In: 8 quarts of Providence(Rural King house brand) Full Syn 0w20 and anAC Delco PF63 oil filter
Transfer case
Out: factory fill
In: A touch over 2 quarts of AC Delco Dexron VI Full Syn ATF
Rotated tires

My wife’s ‘21 GMC Acadia 2.5 liter
OD reading 9,817
Out: 5 quarts of Mobil 1 AFE Full Syn 0w20 and an AC Delco PF64 oil filter
In: 5 quarts of Providence(Rural King house brand) Full Syn 0w20 and an AC Delco PF64 oil filter
Rotated tires

My buddy’s wife’s ‘20 GMC Acadia 2.5 liter
OD reading: 20,093
Out: 5 quarts of Valvoline Advanced Full Syn 0w20 and an AC Delco PF64
In: 5 quarts of Valvoline Advanced Full Syn 0w20 and an AC Delco PF64
Rotated tires

Figured I’d give Rural King’s house brand of oil a fair shake. It meets GM Dexos 1 Gen 2 spec and at $13.99 a jug is a real bargain compared to the brands I’ve normally purchased in the past. In the past I’ve ran Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, Royal Purple, Valvoline Advanced, etc….
Figured I’d give a budget friendly house brand a try, might give Super Tech Full Synthetic 0w20 a spin in our vehicles in 5k more miles.

Wife's 2021 spark. She hit 1k miles and I like an early oil change so I decided it was time. I have a bunch of GM rewards points that I never looked into using so I figured I'd give that a shot. After using my points to get a $30 voucher I got the oil and filters from the dealer for $8 so I'm happy with that.

Out:
Factory fill/Filter

In:
ACDelco 0w20 synthetic
ACCelco PF64 filter

Oil changes on the spark are pretty darn easy. Filter is in front of the pan mounted with the body of the filter vertical so I can pre-fill. Interestingly the factory filter had no part number or anything. It just said replace with PF64 on the side.

Back