2012 Camry 2.5
OEM filter
4 quarts Idemitsu 0w20 regular not the high moly unfortunately
1 quart Mobil 1 0w20 Extended Performance High Mileage

2018 OB Limited 2.5L - 105,500 miles / 6000 mile OCI

Out: Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 5w20

In: Mobil 1 EP 0W20

Oil filter: Fram Ultra Synthetic XG7317, OCI #2

Assessment: I had a horrible experience changing oil today. The engine and oil were fully warmed up before changing and upon unscrewing the drain plug... OIL VOMIT 🤮 I literally have never seen oil come out of a drain orifice this quickly. It pooled up in my large catch pan and just as quickly began overflowing over the sides. It happened so insanely fast, this not my first time changing hot oil out let alone in this car, I am going to blame the 5w20 viscosity itself! It's all your fault 5w20!! I am unfriending you on social media!!!

Like I have mentioned elsewhere on this site, I did not like how the engine ran on 5w20 or 5w30 and the engine was noticably smoother upon putting 0w20 back in so I will be sticking to 0w20 from now on.

2018 OB Limited 2.5L - 105,500 miles / 6000 mile OCI

Out: Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 5w20

In: Mobil 1 EP 0W20

Oil filter: Fram Ultra Synthetic XG7317, OCI #2

Assessment: I had a horrible experience changing oil today. The engine and oil were fully warmed up before changing and upon unscrewing the drain plug... OIL VOMIT 🤮 I literally have never seen oil come out of a drain orifice this quickly. It pooled up in my large catch pan and just as quickly began overflowing over the sides. It happened so insanely fast, this not my first time changing hot oil out let alone in this car, I am going to blame the 5w20 viscosity itself! It's all your fault 5w20!! I am unfriending you on social media!!!

Like I have mentioned elsewhere on this site, I did not like how the engine ran on 5w20 or 5w30 and the engine was noticably smoother upon putting 0w20 back in so I will be sticking to 0w20 from now on.
I work as a professional mechanic and I have found usually the 0W-20 engines are sensitive if they don’t have 0W-20 put in them so that could of been why it was giving you that problem.

Is the data you have gathered (during your time as a mechanic) available for us to see?
I don’t believe so I am not allowed to release anything like that from my dealership if we do we are terminated. But I have seen the cars that can take both and then some that are just strictly 0W-20 and the ones that don’t say 5W-20 or 30 be very hesitant and sensitive to higher viscosity oil especially in the winter time.

[...] I have seen the cars that can take both and then some that are just strictly 0W-20 and the ones that don’t say 5W-20 or 30 be very hesitant and sensitive to higher viscosity oil especially in the winter time.

To what do you attribute that sensitivity?

I don’t believe so I am not allowed to release anything like that from my dealership if we do we are terminated. But I have seen the cars that can take both and then some that are just strictly 0W-20 and the ones that don’t say 5W-20 or 30 be very hesitant and sensitive to higher viscosity oil especially in the winter time.

I 100% agree, I decided to experiment with my Subaru once out of warranty as I was able to get RGT 5w30 and Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 5w20 both for very cheap. The engine did not respond well to either and I found that it ran worse as the miles piled up. Of note 5w20 operating temps for the oil were always 10-15 degrees higher compared to the normal oil temperature for 0w20. 5w30 just made the engine run sluggish, both viscosities made the engine run rough.

To what do you attribute that sensitivity?

I can't and won't speak for @AutoMechanic but I have read a lot of commentary that speaks to the effect that 0w20 (and any 0w oil in general) requires higher grade base stock oil as well as other more stringent formulation requirements so to be able to achieve the 0w rating.

We can talk ourselves to death about whether a 0w oil is "better" than a 5w, 10w, etc but I have come to believe that there is merit to the notion that 0w oils are of higher quality.

Personally my two favorite go-to oils are Mobil 1 EP 0W20 and Mobil 1 0w40 FS, my vehicles just seem to run better when I use those oils in them as appropriate of course.

It was fine. Truck ran great over 2 OCI’s. Value was awesome. Only reason I switched back to Mobil1 was that it didn’t look like the ProDS had any PAO content. Does that matter? Probably not, but I’m fickle like that.
I think that's a good reason to switch back. You know what your engine likes.

Out - 5,038 miles
Oil - EDGE 5W-30 C3
Filter - VW 06K-115-562

IN
Oil - 5QT QSUD 5W-30, 1/2 QT Redline 5W-30, 1 cup lubegard
Filter - WIX WL10024

Used Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator 2nd time. Piece of cake, clean 10 min. job.

Last edited:
2013 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S
Miles on vehicle : 100,202
OCI - 13 months , 6,316 miles
Out - 5 qts of Formula Shell Conventional 10W-30 and Fram PH7317
In - 5 qts of Napa Premium Performance Syn Blend 5W-30 and Fram PH7317

Back