Post Your Latest Coolant Change.

Went to Quicklane at Ford and got it done. Once went to a Quick lube place and the concentration was pretty marginal.

I’m with Hallmark. Why mess around with something like that?

1999 GMC Yukon Denali
5.7 V8
Replaced water pump and all rubber coolant hoses
Out: unknown dexcool
In: Prestone dexcool premix w/redline water wetter

1989 Chevrolet Silverado C1500
5.0 TBI V8
Water pump, thermostat and radiator hose replacement
Out: dirty green coolant
In: Prestone conventional green premix

Recently did a drain and fill on my recently Bought 2000 f250 v10

looks like it had green in it.

refilled with Resolute (fleet farm brand) all makes and models extended life

2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium with only 40,000 miles. Ford retired the orange Dexcool clone with the yellow coolant so I decided to do the swap. Flushed with Prestone, ran distilled water, then yellow. But I broke the radiator drain plug and had to run distilled water for a few days while the dealer got the new radiator plug. Drained the water, put in 4.5 quarts of yellow coolant concentrate, topped off with water. Drive around and waited overnight then topped off with distilled water. Seems okay now. Lesson: don't twist the crap out of the radiator drain plug.

Too many different flavors of coolants out there …
Yeah, Ford keeps changing fluid types. Their orange Dexcool clone apparently has issues with cold weather causing precipitation to form and jam up the machinery. FYI, I also used a refractometer to measure the fluid, which was at 59% coolant concentration. Put in some distilled water and I'll measure it again when I get the chance to drive around and mix things up. Ford says to keep the coolant concentration between 40-60 as too much and too little coolant can both cause problems. I live in NYC, which gets both really hot and really cold weather so 50-50 is the best.

Drained just one gallon out of my f150 to replace a thermostat. Filled back up with 50/50 mix of old green and distilled water. Now I have heat!

This is my buddy Dave, going incognito with his C Mask. Dave is a little too big to be crawling under his MDX looking for the plastic radiator plug, so we put it on the hoist. We did a simple rad drain and re-fill with Honda 50/50. (Dave’s choice). We had to pull a half dozen La-Dee-Da plastic pins to pull back the plastic cover to get at the drain plug. There was also a plastic cover over top the radiator cap. :rolleyes: Dave also sprung for the fancy pants radiator funnel from EBay. ( Gotta admit it worked pretty well). All that came out of the rad was 1 gallon. Good enough for Dave. ;)

F51024E6-1201-47BF-8A7C-1C25715B60DB.jpeg746F0845-38F6-4D79-8F92-304094A7D14E.jpeg

Last edited:
This is my buddy Dave, going incognito with his C Mask. Dave is a little too big to be crawling under his MDX looking for the plastic radiator plug, so we put it on the hoist. We did a simple rad drain and re-fill with Honda 50/50. (Dave’s choice). We had to pull a half dozen La-Dee-Da plastic pins to pull back the plastic cover to get at the drain plug. There was also a plastic cover over top the radiator cap. :rolleyes: Dave also sprung for the fancy pants radiator funnel from EBay. ( Gotta admit it worked pretty well). All that came out of the rad was 1 gallon. Good enough for Dave. ;)

View attachment 35221View attachment 35222

This felt like...
This is Dave.
Dave services his coolant.
Be like Dave.

2006 Acura TSX, 201K, probably 80K on old fluid
Out: green stuff I stupidly put in when I replaced the water pump
Flushed with distilled water
Filled with Zerex Honda Blue.
I know I am at less than 50/50 mix, but it don't get too cold around here.
Maybe do a simple spill and fill next oil change?

This car is perfect.

2006 Acura TSX, 201K, probably 80K on old fluid
Out: green stuff I stupidly put in when I replaced the water pump
Flushed with distilled water
Filled with Zerex Honda Blue.
I know I am at less than 50/50 mix, but it don't get too cold around here.
Maybe do a simple spill and fill next oil change?.....
Don't be too hard on yourself. Years ago I had a local Honda stealer use original green AF on an 01 Civic (still in extended family service) with a head gasket job. I wasn't pleased, went back told them. I didn't want them to touch it again so they gave me a jug a of Type II, I purchased another. First did multiple distilled d&fs till clear. Then did several d&fs with Type II checking AF concentration along the way with an inexpensive (~$1-2 at the time) Chaslyn 5 ball AF tester. Got the job done nicely, had some AF left over. As for block drain, it sits above the oil filter, fire wall side. Not worth the hassle for me.

As noted, another simple radiator d&f will up your AF concentration.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Years ago I had a local Honda stealer use original green AF on an 01 Civic (still in extended family service) with a head gasket job. I wasn't pleased, went back told them. I didn't want them to touch it again so they gave me a jug a of Type II, I purchased another. First did multiple distilled d&fs till clear. Then did several d&fs with Type II checking AF concentration along the way with an inexpensive (~$1-2 at the time) Chaslyn 5 ball AF tester. Got the job done nicely, had some AF left over. As for block drain, it sits above the oil filter, fire wall side. Not worth the hassle for me.

As noted, another simple radiator d&f will up your AF concentration.
A huge thanks.
Sometimes I am a penny wise and a dollar foolish, or however that goes...

Back