Post your latest brake fluid change

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
Please delete this thread if we already have a similar one. I’ve seen threads for ATF, PS and differentials but search turned up nothing for brake fluid.

I’ll start with the following flushes I did yesterday:
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Nomad
Out: Mostly rust and water
In: Supertech DOT 3, took about 3 quarts altogether for clean fluid to come out the bleeders

1967 Chevrolet Chevelle
Out: Unknown, fairly clean but at least 5 years old
In: Supertech DOT 3

1997 Honda Civic (Changed this September)

Out: Supertech Dot 3
In: Kleen Flow Dot 3

2015 Dodge Grand Caravan (changed spring 2019)

Out: Mopar OEM Dot 3
In: Supertech Dot 3

2007 Saturn Ion 130,000 miles
Out: OEM (guessing, recently purchased from auction, no maintenance records, fluid looked pretty dark)
In: NAPA DOT3
Number of bleeder screws that broke off: 1 (When I changed out the wheel cylinder, I was a bit surprised that the cylinder looked brand new inside, despite the fluid looking nasty.)

I am like some here, latest ones that have been performed have been a good while ago.

2014 Honda Odyssey EX, ~50k miles
Out: Factory Fill, Decently dark but not pond water.
In: Pentosin Super DOT 4, 1L.

From this point on Ill change every 2 years.

Had the rear calipers replaced on the Titan due to the bleeders being broken, so flush and bleed were in order.

Out: Unknown
In: O'reilly DOT 3

79,325 miles.

Starting in mid October, I started rebuilding each disc brake caliper with OEM parts and Akebono ProAct pads. Also replaced the seventeen year old brake hoses. Finished right back caliper this week. Used about two quarts of Valvoline brake fluid. Don't have a source of air in our garage so I used the brake pedal to remove the piston. Every thing went very well and avoided making a mess. A little DOT 3/4 goes a long ways but I placed the calipers in a bucket lined with a kitchen garbage bag and newspapers to catch the fluid. Have owned vehicles with disc brakes since the early seventies but this is the first time I have ever rebuilt calipers and replaced hoses. Maybe the master cylinder will be next.Regards to all who think today couldn't come too soon.

2014 Honda CRV 29k
Out: Factory
In: Supertech DOT3

PXL_20201106_234716718.jpg

Last time was five years ago. Before that was ten years and I haven't had a hydraulically related failure on my old cars.

9-9-20 Nissan Nismo Juke ~74K interval, 7 yrs. old since new. Had the dealership to exchange the fluid mainly because I had other fluid exchanges done as well, figured I'd cover all the bases at once. Likely won't bother with it again until at least 50K miles from now and definitely won't bother going by time over mileage as some might do. FWIW at the 45K mile point I did a pad swap front/rear and went with Akebono ProACT pads, which have been exceptional and definitely feel better than the OEM pads. Around 50K from now I will change out the pads with the same again and will likely replace all 4 rotors just to keep things dialed in. Around that time I will likely do a brake fluid exchange once again and will call it good indefinitely.

Over the course of the past 3 months:

'01 Grand Marquis:
Out: Pentosin Super DOT 4
In: Pentosin Super DOT 5.1

'00 Pajero:
Out: Pentosin Super DOT 5.1

'99 Explorer:
Out: Pentosin Super DOT 4

2010 Toyota Venza V6 AWD. Full brake fluid flushed. ABS activated for complete flush on four corners.

Out: Unknown w/ unknown time and clicks
In: Johnsen's Synthetic DOT 4

155,918km on vehicle.

Supertech DOT3/4 out
Supertech DOT 3/4 in
Came out clean. Easy to suction bleed effectively with 3/4. Old vented system with condensate potential. Only use 3/4 in a vented system, never DOT 5

Back