Post your last blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
New topic, blending your own engine oils.
Example;

50/50 Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 and SAE 1330 = 20W40

40C 107
100C 13.5
HTHS 3.9

That is an example of something I do on a regular basis, or mix 10W30 and SAE 40 for the same result.

In the Captiva, as I'm doing short OCIs due to the amount of time that the vehicle spent on the lot.

Magnatec Diesel 5W40 - 5 L (10L in the drum)
Edge 25W50 - 1.2L...makes up the sump volume.

Have run out of both components as of the weekend, so back to regular supplies.

Not something I have done yet, but now that we are in the Golden Era of Mixing, I have a plan.

Embarrassed as I am to admit this, being a thick oil guy, but my car is liking this M1 5W30, so I wouldn't mind a Shell Helix Ultra - full GTL version of this oil. I can get SHU 0W20 (KV40 = 45 & KV100 = 8.3, A1/B1) and SHU 5W40 (KV40 = 74 & KV100 = 13, A3/B3/B4) easy enough. But no SHU 30 grades here.

So if I mix 50:50 SHU 0W20 and SHU 5W40 that should yield me a full GTL synthetic with KV40 ~ 60 and KV100 ~ 11 cSt, bang on for M1 5W30 viscosity.

I'll call it Shell Helix Ultra SR5W30 and give it the averaged ACEA rating of A2/B2.

Job Done.

Well don't feel bad SR5... I started mixing about a month ago. 3 qts Lubrigold 5w30 and 3/4 of Warren Oil SAE 30. This blend went into my lady's Camry. So far, so good
smile.gif

I really don't see any benefit to blending oil unless you simply have spare quarts you want to use up.

Even though I have no scientific way of proving it, I feel mixing different brands does not yield exactly what we think it does. Will this hurt anything though? No. Mixing happens all the time during top offs..

Oh dear, shall I admit to what's in the Volvo ? I decided to give Edge 5W-30 a try, but was running out the rear main so much it was on the rear bumper. I dumped it out, so there is say 500ml in the filter, and then decided to get rid of some stuff I'm not going to use. So, 3.5 litres of Penrite 20w-50, one litre of Gulf 10W-40, 1.5 litres of Fuchs CFX 15W-40...had it at work the other day and noticed it was still 500ml low, so topped it up with Akcela No1 15W-40. I should've just poured it all into a 20 litre for a better mix...but I think someone took out a patent on that method. I think it must be 17W-43.

I have blended, but now I just overfill factory spec by one quart and all is well...5w30 Castrol dino...

Dad had some left over bottles so that's what I used in his recent oil change.

Some PYB 10W30, PHM 10w40, older copper bottle PHM 10w30 and some of the new yellow bottle red cap PHM 10W30

AT least it's the same company and basically same blend.

Mobil 20w50(SL Drive Clean), with Harvest King 0w20 synthetic, 50/50.
The Mobil has been in the stash for a long time, was .33 a quart. HK was on sale at Rural King.
The Widman calculator came up with an oil firmly in the 10w30 range with this blend.

3 quarts of Royal Purple 0W-20 (from a clearance 3 years ago)
& 2 quarts of Mystik 15W-50 are my current "trailer towing" fill.

I'd call it a mixture, classically on here its a frankenbrew if you go wild
smile.gif

1/2 qt 5w20 QSUD in with the 5qts of qsud 10w30. The straight 30 seemed a bit viscous and Nissan and its touchy VVT responded well to a bit of "thinning" with the 5w20. Had to do the same with SS Magnatec at the previous OCI The 5w20 maggy syhthetic is stupendous stuff.

I hear the Castrol is good stuff for Hawaii, given the Volcanic situation there ... ...

It's hard to avoid completely. Latest monster mix. 2002 Suburban 3 qts delvac 15w-40 & 3 qts mobil super 5w-20HM. IN Theory it should be a 10w-30 but with the delvac having a hths of 4.3 maybe it's a 10w-35 ??

2.5 quarts Pennzoil HM 10w-40 + 2 quarts Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 in a 2.0 RAV4

Engine is very happy on this sauce.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I really don't see any benefit to blending oil unless you simply have spare quarts you want to use up.

That's my situation. Had several instances of mixing different products such as Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 with Castrol Edge EP 10w30, etc because I wanted to use up what I had.

The latest mix was of Castrol fluids: rest of GTX synthetic blend 5w20, rest of GTX synthetic blend 5w30 and a little bit of Edge EP 0w20 to get it up to full (in 2009 Hyundai Sonata I4 2.4L pre-GDI engine).

I keep mine simple and always within the same brand:

in a 6 quart sump:
3x Pennzoil Platinum, 3x Pennzoil Yellow Bottle,
all 5W-30.

Last edited:
In the Matrix 3 qts. 10w30 Havoline conventional and I qt. 5w20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. My very own synthetic blend oil. Will run it 5000 miles in the Matrix over 5 months. Coming up on that mileage interval now. Haven't used any oil and color is nice light honey color. Have nice day!

I bought the Havoline at Advance for a nickel each and the PUP was a left over quart from the Camry from the free Pennzoil oil program. I double stinted the oil filter so talk about a cheap oil change interval.

Next oil in the Matrix will be 10w30 Castrol Edge Gold EP that I paid .56 for the jug. $10 off coupon from Castrol. The jug was marked down to $7 at WM. So only had to pay sales tax.

Last edited:
mix of leftover castrol edge 5w20 HM and Pennzoil platinum Hm( mostly) 0w20. Going down faster due to cleaning or my Honda does not like PP?

Last edited:
Most recent in my truck is 3 qts Valvoline Next Gen (5w-20) and 3 qts Pennzoil Platinum (5w-20).
Just using up old stock (PP was 2009 era, I want to say the NG was 2011 or so).

My brother in laws truck, last 2 changes have been with 6 qts Castrol GTX syn Blend 5w-20, but need 7 qts.
This last change, I used 1 qt of the Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w-20 to get it to 7 qts (so is barely mixing).
Change before that I use a qt of 5w-20 PP to get him to the 7 qts needed.

I will have a change at some point in the future on my truck with all the 1 qt "extras" I am accumulating (Pennzoil Ultra, Auto Zone Syn, Havoline HM, Mobil 1 EP, QS Syn, all xw-20 oils).

I don't mix to get a specific oil viscosity or super add pack, I do it to use the oil I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back