Post pictures of your dashboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crinkles
how do you think we colonists feel when we see all the American cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side.

i read in a traffic study that having the steering wheel on the right is safer because your dominant (right) eye sees the oncoming traffic. how true that is, i don't know. I just know i will feel like a rubber chicken driving in america/canada...

It's not only weird because it is a right hand drive car but I'm used to the layout of my mom's left hand drive Camry that looks almost the same except the head unit and a/c buttons. It's like a strange flip flop.

My Japanese teacher said she can't drive a right handed manual because she learned to drive in Japan and can't coordinate a right hand one correctly.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I can't even imagine trying to shift a manual transmission with my left hand.

its easier to shift with your left (dumb) hand and steer with your right (strong) hand (i believe).

If you can chew gum and walk at the same time, you wouldn't have any trouble.
11.gif

Two things the bothered me most when I drove for a week in Britain.

1. When you are leaving a parking lot or garage you really need to make a conscious effort to go the correct direction. Once you are in traffic, it's a piece of cake. As you get tired, it gets worse.

2. Driving through crowded villages on narrow roads, it's extremely hard to judge where the left side of your car is with any degree of precision.

During a full week of driving in Britain, I only tried to shift gears with the door handle once.

Originally Posted By: XS650

During a full week of driving in Britain, I only tried to shift gears with the door handle once.

LOL.gif
quote of the week!
cheers3.gif

That's how i learned to drive.... (I grew up in Sri Lanka aka Ceylon, former British colony)

It's not a problem shifting with the left hand for most of us. Trouble is using the clutch with your right foot and the accelerator with your left.
crackmeup2.gif
J/K, foot controls are the same.
I was in Okinawa when it switched from the correct driving style to the bass-ackwards style used only in the otherwise advanced nations of Japan and U.K, and their (ex)colonies. The only problem I noticed was pulling out of parking lots onto the street, and being in the wrong lane due to force of habit. Didn't help that I was pulling out of the Club parking lot after having a couple of cold brews.

I've heard it tends to keep one driving closer to the shoulder instead of closer to the median, thereby reducing the number of accidents on two-lane roads. Seems to make sense, but I like to have my right hand free to do tune the radio and so-forth so I still prefer the NA design.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Seems to make sense, but I like to have my right hand free to do tune the radio and so-forth so I still prefer the NA design.

Ah, and the true reason it is a safer comes to light.
48.gif

I have been looking at the same dash since I was 16, just in three different colors.

2002 Ranger (current truck), Prairie Tan
IMG_0528.jpg

1995 Explorer, Willow Green
IMG_2066.jpg

Yes, there is a cassette in the player. It's a Bob Marley tape that is as old as I am.

2001 Ranger, Medium Graphite
2695860258_large.jpg

I like the "Press clutch pedal to start Engine" You just know that this is for a Woman! (J/K)
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back