Post office is officially a joke

The Post Office isn't perfect, but at least around here, I think they do a pretty good job most of the time.

Out problem isn't the Post Office it's criminals that steal mail out of Post Office Drop Boxes. They take checks, wash them and then cash them. It's very common around here. The only way to avoid this is to use a mail box inside the Post Office.

Just bought 200 stamps to avoid the July 9 increase.

$62.75 at costco, saved $0.25.

$56 online via USPS, saved $7 or 11%.

Never knew they discounted like that online.

You can even buy 1000 stamps for $460. That’s a 27% savings.
update guys, I was fooled, the website was not USPS and my cc was charged in Hong Kong!

I did get 5 books of stamps in 3 days, and they look legit.

So, since everything looked legit? I took a stamp and had my son mail a letter to my mom, and she got it. But, I don't like risking counterfeit. There are some stamps less than half price online. I was in a hurry on my phone and literally thought I was buying from the USPS, and I was not. I'll stick to Costco going forward....

The last screw-up I experienced was from a substitute mail carrier. The careless jerk, crammed a license plate into my mailbox, which came out looking like a crinkled potato chip bag. 🤬
It probably looked like the one I just took off with the screws being rusted and unable to be removed....all twisted up and such

The woman did not mail the rent check “close”. She mailed it out 2-3 days before end of last month as I already spelled it out. 3weeks plus is downright pathetic and uncalled for.

Postal workers in my area walk right by my mailbox and don’t take outgoing mail even
Where the heck do you live. Our US Representatives 1-D 1-R whipped the postal service into shape on the KC metro's south side. It didn't take long either.

I'm not reading this entire thread but one universal thing I'd suggest is mailing everything at a post office building.

I know that's unconscionable to many but I feel it's analogous to well fitted shoes. It may not cure everybody's probs, but it's a good place to start.

I'm not reading this entire thread but one universal thing I'd suggest is mailing everything at a post office building.

I know that's unconscionable to many but I feel it's analogous to well fitted shoes. It may not cure everybody's probs, but it's a good place to start.
I myself always drop things off at the Post Office before work, and it's inconvenient to get out of, and make a left turn.

But you name it, a DMV form for a new license plate, greeting cards, anything, goes to their box at the Post Office.

Tip for all on UPS and FedEx, don't ever ship anything of value without getting a receipt. In an office setting that's dicey because the driver just takes everything and scans later. I've had things of value where no scans until mid way or at the destination. If you like worrying, then don't get a receipt. But at my office it's stupid--3 cos. leave all their junk on the ground floor, because the driver will not service 17 floors. It is what it is but don't ever leave stuff in a drop box that's overfilled, on a personal level...my .02

update guys, I was fooled, the website was not USPS and my cc was charged in Hong Kong!

I did get 5 books of stamps in 3 days, and they look legit.

So, since everything looked legit? I took a stamp and had my son mail a letter to my mom, and she got it. But, I don't like risking counterfeit. There are some stamps less than half price online. I was in a hurry on my phone and literally thought I was buying from the USPS, and I was not. I'll stick to Costco going forward....
USPS uses postage to fund operations, and never discounts. Contact your credit card company and see if they can help you get a refund.

The market is flooded with counterfeit stamps right now from overseas (mainly China), and the ads are everywhere. These current generation fakes are so good that they even have UV tagging to deter machine rejection, and microprinting. You basically need to inspect under magnification to tell the difference. Postal inspectors are having a hard time tracing distributors down since the shippers use bogus return addresses.

I think the US Postal Serice is about 99.9% reliable but, given the volume of stuff they deal with, the 0.1% can be frustrating. All I've been getting in the last few months is flyers from people who want to be President of the USA.

I've seen big packages delivered below the mail boxes where passers by can easily see them in my neighborhood. Too lazy or in a hurry not to deliver it to the front door. I'm not saying all, but there are some US postal service workers that really don't care
It's the union mentality

^^That's an unknowing and foolish thing to say.

I am not saying there are no bad employees who know how to work union protection.

There has always been examples of dictatorial, self important employers/managers; the kind of work setting which ensues can be garbage whether the labor force is unionized or not.

The Post Office isn't perfect, but at least around here, I think they do a pretty good job most of the time.

Out problem isn't the Post Office it's criminals that steal mail out of Post Office Drop Boxes. They take checks, wash them and then cash them. It's very common around here. The only way to avoid this is to use a mail box inside the Post Office.
That happened to us.

My wife dropped off a check in the outside box at the Post Office. It was a charitable donation drawn on an NFCU account.

They “washed” the check, turned a $500 check into $8,000, and cashed it at an NFCU in Baltimore (I fault NFCU for their part in this as well) and took her checking account balance to zero.

The weak point was the outside PO Box, even though it’s on USPS property, it was still vulnerable.

We have since changed how we donate to that charity, and we don’t use outside USPS boxes any more.

USPS is installing modified blue boxes in many locations with a one way opening. Downside is that they aren't convenient to use from a car.

Talking the extra effort to mail sensitive outgoing letters inside a PO lobby is most secure. If you must use a blue box, drop mail in it during the daytime before the last collection on the label.

Attachments

• e61ba06f-6b8f-4172-a8d8-00ee07010857-040319_Ridgewood_mailbox_01.jpeg
    e61ba06f-6b8f-4172-a8d8-00ee07010857-040319_Ridgewood_mailbox_01.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 6
If we could create and enforce a "do not mail" list to eliminate the constant flood of hearing aids, cremations, air conditioning, extended warranty, funerals, pet supplies, optical, dental and other junk mail maybe they could manage better with the actual mail.
There is a constitutional right to mail, which extends to corporations. It's how the USPS makes money as well. I believe its called 4th class mail or bulk mail. It's like lobbying, it's a first amendment right to petition your lawmakers. You would need to change the Constitution to exclude it, so it will never go away.

USPS is installing modified blue boxes in many locations with a one way opening. Downside is that they aren't convenient to use from a car.

Talking the extra effort to mail sensitive outgoing letters inside a PO lobby is most secure. If you must use a blue box, drop mail in it during the daytime before the last collection on the label.
There have been some very talented sheet metal workers that were able to produce a sleeve that fits perfectly into the mail shoot of those drive through drop boxes. It fills up with mail and then the criminals pull the sleeve out.

That was back in the day of ol'e timey criminals with manners. Now people ram their car into the box and collect the prize like some video game.

Last edited:
I don't mail much anymore but when I do, I drop off directly in the post office lobby box.

I've had bad experiences in the past of letters I put in the boxes around town not getting delivered.

My USPS is great . But then my HOA is great. Same mail person for 6 years. We’re old school here. Put up the flag, mail person right on time, if not I find my mail perfectly bundled, says hi to the grandkids, no problems.

Attachments

• IMG_2832.jpeg
    IMG_2832.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 5
I went on vacation a couple years ago and placed my mail on hold via their online webpage. Came home and they never resumed delivery the next day. I called them up and the guy was really friendly. He says, Oh, thanks so much for calling. We lost the printout of your hold mail and didn't know when to resume. I asked if I could come by and pick up my mail and packages. He readily agrees and tells me to pull around back by the loading dock and ask for Timmy. So, while they didn't do the best job, they fixed it as best they could.

Back