Post Fram Ultra!

UM... For a very long time the reply to nearly every oil filter thread here was "Fram Ultra".

But Fram has changed owners and some of us are less than impressed with the new owners attempts at gaslighting us...
Yup, exactly, the hyperbole being employed here is silly. Many of us stocked up on the Ultra when we could get a deal on it because it was such a good filter. It's wild the lengths people will go to in order to cast legitimate criticism of a brand or product for as "hating" or "bias". It truly calls into question the ability to be objective.

Yup, exactly, the hyperbole being employed here is silly. Many of us stocked up on the Ultra when we could get a deal on it because it was such a good filter. It's wild the lengths people will go to in order to cast legitimate criticism of a brand or product for as "hating" or "bias". It truly calls into question the ability to be objective.
There’s a reason hrv is on ignore and it’s not because he’s super intelligent.

Much of the criticism I've seen has not been objective. Some yes, but quite a bit of it has not. I don't think anyone has demonstrated a monopoly on subjectivity.

Reactions: hrv
Much of the criticism I've seen has not been objective. Some yes, but quite a bit of it has not. I don't think anyone has demonstrated a monopoly on subjectivity.
I've tried to be as objective as possible with my covering of the changes in the Ultra for example. Now, yes, some people have had some knee-jerk reactions to some things, but that's unfortunately typical.

There have been a couple of things that have proved worrisome between the communication with FRAM by some members, and then inspection by people on here. People who have no vested interest in the product/brand and wouldn't benefit from it going one way or the other. An example would be what appears to be the use of nitrile ADBV valves when Customer Service said they were just black silicone. It certainly further warrants some scepticism regarding the accuracy of some of the data we've been given, like with the odd and incorrect description of the original Ultra.

Now, ownership changes can be complicated, particularly if there is staff turnover or consolidation of customer service operations and other departments. But it's disappointing to see this nonetheless.

The fear is that First Brands is taking FRAM, a brand which many on this board have grown to trust for producing quality products at a reasonable price, in a direction that isn't favourable. I think there's some legitimacy in that concern, though I don't think it's been long enough, or that we have enough evidence at this point, to conclude that this is the case. We may just be seeing some "growing pains" or "transition pains" and. And of course supply shortages are affecting everything, which isn't helping.

I've tried to be as objective as possible with my covering of the changes in the Ultra for example. Now, yes, some people have had some knee-jerk reactions to some things, but that's unfortunately typical.

There have been a couple of things that have proved worrisome between the communication with FRAM by some members, and then inspection by people on here. People who have no vested interest in the product/brand and wouldn't benefit from it going one way or the other. An example would be what appears to be the use of nitrile ADBV valves when Customer Service said they were just black silicone. It certainly further warrants some scepticism regarding the accuracy of some of the data we've been given, like with the odd and incorrect description of the original Ultra.

Now, ownership changes can be complicated, particularly if there is staff turnover or consolidation of customer service operations and other departments. But it's disappointing to see this nonetheless.

The fear is that First Brands is taking FRAM, a brand which many on this board have grown to trust for producing quality products at a reasonable price, in a direction that isn't favourable. I think there's some legitimacy in that concern, though I don't think it's been long enough, or that we have enough evidence at this point, to conclude that this is the case. We may just be seeing some "growing pains" or "transition pains" and. And of course supply shortages are affecting everything, which isn't helping.
I agree that you absolutely have been exactly as you say and I very much enjoy discussions with you. And you make very good points, IMHO.

It might open Fram's eyes some if they actually have someone from Fram reading this forum.

So far, me neither.

I had a conversation with Fram a few moments ago. The pink mentioned previously was explained as a media supplier color not a change in the physical media itself.
Whoa… Hold the phone! Now First Brands is saying the pink media is EXACTLY THE SAME as the new sprayed-on media? If they said that, literally EVERYTHING they say cannot be trusted, because the pink was the 2-ply synthetic media, and the newer white is the “sprayed on” syn over blend. Unless I’m misleading something here?

The statement from Fram in writing stating the new Ultra media is better at filtration than the old is all I care about personally. It’s not opinion, or English meaning confusion. Customer service statements? I can’t remember how many times I have talked to various customer reps and couldn’t wait to say no I don't have any more questions you can help me with. Thank you, bye.

How does the media of that cartridge filter differ from media of the old spin-on Ultras?
This media in the new filter still employs a two-ply design. Though, instead of two different, fully synthetic media plies placed directly onto a metal mesh, the new filter media uses a cellulose and synthetic blend ply together with another fully synthetic ply -- without a supporting metal mesh.

Somehow, I'm scratching my head on how this is better ... though the jury is still out.

How does the media of that cartridge filter differ from media of the old spin-on Ultras?
The cartridge filter uses a white synthetic media that's backed by a plastic "screen", more similar to what you'd find inside the Purolator BOSS. The old canister filter used a pink, multi-layer synthetic media backed by a metal screen.

While the "new" Ultra in the canister filters has transitioned to a cellulose synthetic blend back layer with a white synthetic topper and eliminated the screen, the cartridge filters, thus far, don't seem to have changed.

Last edited:
This media in the new filter still employs a two-ply design. Though, instead of two different, fully synthetic media plies placed directly onto a metal mesh, the new filter media uses a cellulose and synthetic blend ply together with another fully synthetic ply -- without a supporting metal mesh.
I didn't ask about the new spin-on filters.

The cartridge filter uses a white synthetic media that's backed by a plastic "screen", more similar to what you'd find inside the Purolator BOSS. The old canister filter used a pink, multi-layer synthetic media backed by a metal screen.
... the cartridge filters, thus far, don't seem to have changed.
Perhaps that's true of some (Korean?) Ultra cartridges, but the U.S.-made 10358 cartridge for 1.8L Toyotas, and apparently also the one shown in the recent "Fram Ultra Material Failure" thread use the metal screen, same as the old spin-ons, as far as can see.

Back