Possible to determine how many miles on oil visually?

I mean approximately determine within 1000 miles how many miles since the oil was installed?
Color changes.
I got two vehicles, one bought and one inherited.

2007 Mercury Mountaineer with 4.0L: This looks like at least 5K, maybe more. 180K on the engine so I am not overly concerned but will change it this weekend. No idea what oil or when it was installed. But I got the car in November and put several thousand on it since then.

uLpLl6N.jpg

2013 GMC Yukon, 6.2L with 40K on it. Looks noticeably lighter, I would assess still within 3K but it's a wild guestimate.
Going to change it anyway since again I have no idea, what oil, when, the mileage on the oil.

4b9mB5j.jpg

I wonder how accurate can a visual estimate be when dealing with an unknown. I have seen totally black oil, darker than either of the above.
P.S. Records would be the obvious solution to the question but neither vehicle got them. No stickers anywhere.

I suppose if you had a huge data set from the same vehicle, with a quantitative value for color and an associated UOA you could put something together that *may* do this?

I mean approximately determine within 1000 miles how many miles since the oil was installed?
Color changes.

2007 Mercury Mountaineer with 4.0L: This looks like at least 5K, maybe more. 180K on the engine so I am not overly concerned but will change it this weekend. No idea what oil or when it was installed. But I got the car in November and put several thousand on it since then.

uLpLl6N.jpg

2013 GMC Yukon, 6.2L with 40K on it. Looks noticeably lighter, I would assess still within 3K but it's a wild guestimate.
Going to change it anyway since again I have no idea, what oil, when, the mileage on the oil.

4b9mB5j.jpg

I wonder how accurate can a visual estimate be when dealing with an unknown. I have seen totally black oil, darker than either of the above.
P.S. Records would be the obvious solution to the question but neither vehicle got them. No stickers anywhere.
I’ve learned some oils darken quickly depending on the engine. I think the HEMI Is one engine and some current KIA engines do. Might be wrong. I’d change it with your oil of choice

Not motor oil but my owner's manual had this interesting blurb too about the transmission fluid:

"Automatic transaxle fluid color is basically red. As the vehicle is driven, the automatic transaxle fluid will begin to look darker.
It is the normal condition and you should not judge the need to replace the fluid based upon the changed color."

Not motor oil but my owner's manual had this interesting blurb too about the transmission fluid:

"Automatic transaxle fluid color is basically red. As the vehicle is driven, the automatic transaxle fluid will begin to look darker.
It is the normal condition and you should not judge the need to replace the fluid based upon the changed color."
Wow - a manual of useful information. Mine is 99% legal disclaimers that vehicles might be dangerous.

I have. Apparently many others as well based on shelf space dedicated. I will make no comment on whether this is a logical act or not.
Sorry, I didn't phrase my comment well.... My point was more that the OP know is guessing - based on color (??) - that it's not even synthetic.

No. I am not guessing it's not synthetic by color. I am guessing it's not synthetic because I knew the previous owners. They both took it to shops to do the oil and knowing them, both middle aged people not mechanically inclined, they only know "Change the oil in it" concept. Not what kind of oil. Very doubtful they specified synthetic.

Color changes.

uLpLl6N.jpg

4b9mB5j.jpg

No, color does not define age.

Back