Possible Brakes Issues '16 Honda Pilot

Trying to troubleshoot possible brakes issue on my wife's Honda Pilot. The issue is the sound that i'm hearing while braking at low speeds with brake pedal being depressed firmly - multiple clicks, almost crunchy like sounds coming somewhere from the brake pedal/engine compartment area. Sounds occurs if slowing down both in drive and neutral. Can hear it while in park just depressing the pedal. If I'm gentle with depressing brake pedal while slowing down - no sounds happening, smooth breaking with no issues. I've remove brake pads, had the pins lubricated and everything cleaned but the sounds is still present. Brake fluid has been flushed around a year ago. My only guess would be master brake cylinder? pads and rotors still looking good, they have around 40k on them since new and still have 50% life left. Total mileage on the car is 40k.
Help me out with suggestions folks, car is still under warranty but I prefer not to take it to the dealer unless absolutely necessary.

My 2013 makes crunching noises thru the brake pedal on really cold mornings (parked outside). After a few stops it goes away. I've never bothered to look into it since it only happens several times a year.

Brakes are not covered under warranty, I do not know if that also means master cylinder.
just looked at the booklet, brake system is covered under chassis (wear and tear itmes are exclueded, but not the major ones)

It appears to be a fairly common issue, from what I understand the dealers are swapping the brake booster out to take care of it.
I have no idea but that sounds like the area you are hearing the noise from. I would take it to the dealer, if it is well known they should be able to take care of it quickly under warranty.

It appears to be a fairly common issue, from what I understand the dealers are swapping the brake booster out to take care of it.
I have no idea but that sounds like the area you are hearing the noise from. I would take it to the dealer, if it is well known they should be able to take care of it quickly under warranty.
thanks Trav. the pedal feels the same as before and if applied rather gently doesn't produce any noise. could that be something related to the transmission? specifically torque converter disengaging when braking?

If its happening in park then I would say not. If I had to guess I think it may have something to do with a spring or piston in the booster. I believe your car has a vacuum booster like this one..

If its happening in park then I would say not. If I had to guess I think it may have something to do with a spring or piston in the booster. I believe your car has a vacuum booster like this one..

it actually isn't happening in park just in drive slowing down or if I switch to neutral when rolling at 10mph or so coming to a stop

it actually isn't happening in park just in drive slowing down or if I switch to neutral when rolling at 10mph or so coming to a stop

Sorry, I thought you said..

"Can hear it while in park just depressing the pedal. "

Take it to the dealer for their opinion.

Sorry, I thought you said..

"Can hear it while in park just depressing the pedal. "

Take it to the dealer for their opinion.
my bad, fat fingered. just called the dealer and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. there's a keyless start system error car was throwing for a few months (likely will require start stop button to be replaced) which will have them to address as well while I'm there.

my bad, fat fingered. just called the dealer and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. there's a keyless start system error car was throwing for a few months (likely will require start stop button to be replaced) which will have them to address as well while I'm there.
Be prepared for the $150-$200 diagnostic fee authorization since the car is outside of the 3/36.....and there is a likelihood that both issues will come back with unable to duplicate.

Be prepared for the $150-$200 diagnostic fee authorization since the car is outside of the 3/36.....and there is a likelihood that both issues will come back with unable to duplicate.
I have an extended warranty (Honda Care) which covers both issues (or at least the booklet says it does). Also, there's a code stored for the push button error, so that's a no brainer. As far as the brake issue goes, it's been consistent and quite audible. Additionally, technician that worked on my civic few month ago (squeaking clutch pedal - agreed to the noise being present right away) should be in tomorrow and will be looking at my car - first time I've seen a technician at dealership being genuinely interested in the outcome. My hopes are high, expectations low. Let's see what happens.

I have an extended warranty (Honda Care) which covers both issues (or at least the booklet says it does). Also, there's a code stored for the push button error, so that's a no brainer. As far as the brake issue goes, it's been consistent and quite audible. Additionally, technician that worked on my civic few month ago (squeaking clutch pedal - agreed to the noise being present right away) should be in tomorrow and will be looking at my car - first time I've seen a technician at dealership being genuinely interested in the outcome. My hopes are high, expectations low. Let's see what happens.
Every dealership I have ever been to will ask for a diag fee authorization on factory extended warranties since are not as broad as the factory 3/36. Also, squeaks/noises are often excluded and technically, a complete component failure is required for coverage to kick in. But depending on how the dealer communicates the issue, it is sometimes covered.

no fee has been requested: drove with the tech, he acknowledged the noise, car has been booked in and I was gone in 15min in a loaner. What they did, was using "chassis ears" I believe they call it confirmed that the noise was coming from the caliper assy and is due to pad movement within the same - no repairs required at the time. So, yet again I've gotten "this is normal" explanation. I'll be trying to swap the rotors/pads and see if this helps (rotors are warped so the plan was to do this anyway).

On a bright side, stop switch button has been replaced under warranty.

Back