possible automatic trans problem?

So my summer weekend cruise night driver 98 mustang v/6 with automatic has this quirk, or maybe problem, that first start of the day when dropping it in gear there is a slight 1/2 second delay before it catches. After that it is immediate the rest of the day. when I first got the car 2 years ago, it took about 1and half seconds to drop in first thing. I added a bottle of Lube Gard red, and after a while it has gotten down to the slight delay as it is now. Wondering if I really need to have a transmission shop look at it or if it will not be problem? Everything else about the trans seems to be perfect. The fluid is very clean looking and smells like new. Shifts perfect. I only drive it in summer, and less than 2ooo miles year.
Oh, by the way, the car only has 81K on it, and shows very good care.

If it shifts fine with the Lubegard then I would not worry about it. At 2000 miles/yr you could potentially drive it another 5-10 years trouble free.

Several car manufacturers actually recommend lubegard as an official fix for poor shifting transmissions.

My Barracuda does that, too. I use it in the same manner as you use your Mustang. If I shift it into neutral first for a couple of seconds, the pump gets working and then no delay going into gear.

Honestly I think you are doing it more harm by only driving it 2k a year than anything else. Probably not worth looking into it if it is driving fine. Take it out and drive it! lol, cars hate to sit.

How long do you let it idle before putting into gear? My '99 goes into something that isn't 1st if I don't wait 20 seconds on a cold start. The fix? Wait 30 seconds, then attempt Drive. Seems to work, been doing that for a few years and probably 40-50k at least.

Well thanks all. Sounds like I probably don't need to worry about the tranny letting me sit one day soon. I will keep on truckin'

My friend told me my Torqueflite probably has a worn pump bushing. Eventually, the pump could be damaged to the point of being inoperable. A couple of the 50 year old seals are weeping a bit, so it's probably time for it to come out and have a look inside. I want to upgrade to a modern converter, but don't know enough about them yet to make a wise choice. So maybe I'll pull it out come fall. It's been a long time since I've done an R&R on the ground.

All torque converter automatic transmissions have drain back, Some have anti-measures like seals & check valves. But if you let one sit long enough....The fluid will find a way!

Back