Porsche's own factory race team apparently uses M1 0w-40 FS

Good topic and conversation. This one leaves me on the fence. I didn't know [some?] race teams used anything other than the sponsorship oil. Interesting.

From this old thread, where Johnny (SOPUS employee) attended the 24hrs of Daytona:

Johnny said:
12:05 PM EST

Golf cart is the only way to travel around this place. Starting to rain a little so we hurried back to the motor home.

Okay, here is the starting grid for the DP cars in the 24 Hours of Daytona. I talked to as many engineers as I could and listed what oil they are using in todays race. The Chevy teams just said Mobil 1 but did not state what kind. BMW teams would not give out any info and everything was covered up in the shop area around their cars. I guess they just did not realize who I was. HA!

As for as the GT class cars, to many to list all so will give a general run down to what I saw. Most of the GT Porsches were using Mobil 1 0W-40 but I saw two of them that I know were using some kind of Red Line product. Camaros and Pontiacs were using Mobil 1 of some kind, Mazda was all over the place with Castrol being used by some, VW's were either Castrol and a few were using Motul.

That's all for know. Getting ready to eat lunch and settle down for the festivities.

Later

STARTING GRID DAYTONA

1 10 DP Ford Dallara SunTrust Racing - Mobil 1 5W-30

2 60 DP Ford Riley Michael Shank - Mobil 1 5W-30

3 6 DP Ford Riley Michael Shank Racing – Mobil 1 5W-30

4 02 DP BMW Riley Chip Ganassi -?

5 01 DP BMW Riley TELMEX Chip Ganassi -?

6 55 DP BMW Riley Crown Royal/NPN Racing - ?

7 59 DP Porsche Riley Brumos Racing – Kendall GT1

8 9 DP Porsche Riley Action Express Racing – Mobil 1 0W-40

9 75 DP Ford Lola Krohn Racing - Mobil 1 5W-30

10 90 DP Porsche Coyote Spirit of Daytona Racing – Mobil 1 0W-40

11 77 DP Ford Dallara Doran - Mobil 1 5W-30

12 7 DP BMW Riley Starworks Motorsport - ?
Johnny said:
13 2 DP Chevrolet Crawford Beyer Racing – Mobil 1

14 95 DP BMW Riley Crown Royal/NPN Racing -?

15 99 DP Chevrolet Riley GAINSCO/ Bob Stallings - Mobil 1

In Topeka for the HeartlandNats. Maybe I'll pick up some Supertech oil from Walmart, place then conspicuously around the Pit, and have Bruno come over and interview us...

:censored::LOL:

From this old thread, where Johnny (SOPUS employee) attended the 24hrs of Daytona:
I remember seeing this.

There was also something NASCAR teams using basic Blue Cap M1 5W30.

its always the braking capability that gets me. sitting anywhere near a turn after a long straight it just seems impossible that they can slow down that fast.

Yes, absolutely! When they brought the 919 Hybrid LMP out to do exhibition laps I watched it from the grandstands near turn 4 and it was so unnatural seeing that car slow down. It really looked like a ship exiting hyperspace as it approached a corner. I didn't get any of this when watching WEC races on TV. The other surprising thing was just how quiet it was in comparison to the RSRs. In retrospect it's unsurprising seeing as how it's a turbo V4 with a KERS system but I didn't expect the difference to be that big.

And speaking of that weird V4, it was surreal just being able to walk up to it and photograph it uncovered. Porsche had just exited the LMP category in WEC so they weren't trying to hide anything anymore but it just felt strange considering the amount of secrecy they were holding a few months prior.

2cCBoEJ.jpg

HY1zHMN.jpg

mNNZZxl.jpg

Why is everyone so skeptical of Porsche, which has a long standing relationship with M1, using their flagship oil in their competition cars?

In past years, the Porsche team was using a Mobil bottle but it was very generic looking -- implying something custom. Have the WEC rules changed with regards to the oil they must use? M1 0w40 is good stuff, but these guys just need the engine to last 24 hours and 1 minute...very different from a street car.

You guys thinking this is off-the-shelf M1 definitely don't know the truth about race teams and certainly have never worked for one! Its called PUBLICITY and SPONSORSHIP. When I worked for Team PTG BMW North America Race team, we were sponsored by Castrol but I can surely tell you we weren't pouring anything off the shelf in those 450hp 3.2l engines that lasted 24 hours...

However, we did use off the shelf stuff at the shop when dyno testing and breaking engines in but that was the only time.

Yes, I did build the engines that Bill Auberlen, Boris Said and Hahns Stuck ran back in 99-2001 for BMW Team PTG so I can gladly attest to these facts. ;)

You guys thinking this is off-the-shelf M1 definitely don't know the truth about race teams and certainly have never worked for one! Its called PUBLICITY and SPONSORSHIP. When I worked for Team PTG BMW North America Race team, we were sponsored by Castrol but I can surely tell you we weren't pouring anything off the shelf in those 450hp 3.2l engines that lasted 24 hours...

However, we did use off the shelf stuff at the shop when dyno testing and breaking engines in but that was the only time.

Yes, I did build the engines that Bill Auberlen, Boris Said and Hahns Stuck ran back in 99-2001 for BMW Team PTG so I can gladly attest to these facts. ;)

What's your take on the quotes I posted from Johnny when he was talking to the Engineers above as well as @Doug Hillary posting on his observations of attending the 24hr races with the Engineers from Porsche?

Seems BMW is pretty secretive (from Johnny's, and your posts) but Porsche isn't.

What's your take on the quotes I posted from Johnny when he was talking to the Engineers above as well as @Doug Hillary posting on his observations of attending the 24hr races with the Engineers from Porsche?

Seems BMW is pretty secretive (from Johnny's, and your posts) but Porsche isn't.
BMW has always been secretive... but we made sure we had those black Castrol bottles around and in the pits at races to keep that money coming in.

I've been out of it for so long now though its hard to say. I still have a few friends on the Turner BMW team that I can reach out to though. Maybe I'll see if they can tell me what oils they use these days. Likely Motul or Redline custom blends.

What oils were you using back then?

The OP was about a 991 RSR demo. Not a 24 hr race. I see no issue of M1 off the shelf for that application.
24 hour races are around 3,500 miles. That's still a pretty short OCI

I don't know the point of these anecdotes. The only relevant information would be if you were currently in racing and could attest whether or not any teams were using a given oil. I'm not saying there isn't funny business going on. But M1 0W-40 FS is considered a racing oil...

This website claims they're using is:

This website lists their racing oils and lists it:

Wasn't that the E46M3 with the M5 V8 shoehorned under the hood?

The OP was about a 991 RSR demo. Not a 24 hr race. I see no issue of M1 off the shelf for that application.
24 hour races are around 3,500 miles. That's still a pretty short OCI

I don't know the point of these anecdotes. The only relevant information would be if you were currently in racing and could attest whether or not any teams were using a given oil. I'm not saying there isn't funny business going on. But M1 0W-40 FS is considered a racing oil...

This website claims they're using is:

This website lists their racing oils and lists it:
24hrs IMO will go with heavier weight. I highly doubt anything lower than XXW50.

Back