Porsche Experience

Yesterday I participated in the Porsche Experience at Ridge Motorsports. Well organized, knowledgeable friendly staff, and a great track. As a former autocrosser I've driven a couple of Porsches before, but it's been 20 years since I was active in that sport. Porsche were never my favorite performance cars, but this experience really turned my head around on the company & their cars.

We did an off-road course in the Cayenne. I've done offroad in a military Hummer and found the Cayenne to be surprisingly capable. The diffs will do a 100% torque bias ratio, even when 1 wheel is 2 feet up in the air it will still deliver power to the opposite wheel that has traction. Yet unlike an old fashioned full lock diff, it does this with smooth steering. We drove it in water that came up a couple of feet past the floorboards, exhaust underwater and doors full seal preventing water from getting into the cockpit. Impressive angles of pitch and bank, enough that the camera was the only way to see the path ahead. Previously I thought cameras were only for people who don't know how to park, but this is a real functional application.

We autocrossed the Boxster/Cayman with the 4 liter 400 HP mid engine. It was one of the most nimble, quick, well balanced cars I've driven, comparable to the '95 RX7 TT and Panoz Roadster that I used to autocross years ago. It was a fun drive, the professional drivers sitting beside us in the passenger seats offered good tips around the course, and I was impressed with the car.

Then we drove some cars around the track, in lead-follow setup. First, a Taycan 4S. This full electric car has good acceleration, well balanced with minimal body roll. But it weighs 5,000 lbs. and you can feel that, even though it holds the road well. Next, a Cayman GTS around the track. This car felt much like the Boxster we autocrossed, though the track enabled us to explore its high speed dynamics. Perfectly balanced, much lighter and more nimble/agile than the Taycan, but still planted and predictable even at high speeds and traction limits. Next, a 911 Carrera S. This car felt similar to the Cayman, though just a bit quicker, with a bit more "personality", the engine response less linear, handling a bit twitchier with more throttle steer. This made it my favorite car in terms of driver engagement & road feel. Then we took a "hot lap" with one of the professional drivers.

In summary, a super fun and educational experience. If you get an invite, don't hesitate but grab it. Porsche runs driving schools too, if they're run anything like this event, well worth attending.

Glad you enjoyed it, I do want to do a Porsche event.

I did a BMW one a while back which was great and I did the Land Rover Experience, which was also great...but slower:)

SatinSilver went to the Mercedes event years ago. More fun fun than you would think. The tires were done with only a thousand miles or two on the cars. Made me wonder what happened to the cars after they were raced around so much. At the end they gave us some nice merch.

Back