Popular Science Magazine 1976

Status
Not open for further replies.
All those Cigarette ads. I may sign up for a correspondence course at NRI in CB radio repair. That's where the real money is. Then I can afford to buy one of those Bradly GT kits to put on a VW Bug chassis. I'll be fighting off the ladies.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by Danno
Interesting that what we call "dino" oils today were called "mineral" oils back then.

How the messaging has changed.

Don't we still call them mineral oils today? From Mobil1:

What are Synthetic Oils?
A synthetic lubricant contains more highly refined base oils than those used in conventional mineral oils, offering you superior protection and performance. Synthetic engine oils provide a variety of benefits that keep your engine running at optimal performance for years.

Types of Engine Oil
There are two basic types of engine oil available:

1. Conventional mineral oils are the traditional types of engine oil and are still most widely used.
2. Synthetic motor oils which are steadily growing in popularity.

Just like Mobile says, Mobile 1 states their "synthetic" oil is nothing more then highly refined mineral oil. Mobile 1 is made from oil and the Mobile 1 sold in the USA could not legally be branded Synthetic in Germany.
In Germany synthetic means something other then oil, in the USA synthetic means "performs essentially like synthetic"

Bottom line, in the USA, synthetic or conventional are mineral oils. The words "Full Synthetic Oil" simply means highly refined enough to perform the same as synthetic, BTW some conventional are better at preventing wear then some synthetics and they are all rated with the same API SN.

Last edited:
You were using the telephone, instead of a keyboard, I gather?
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
I remember that PS article very well. It was the first time I had seen an article on synthetic oil. I believe it was almost two years later that Mobil I became available in our area. Started using it then and have used it ever sense. I finally stopped subscribing to MS when I could not longer find anything I could relate to. Stopped taking Motor Trend recently for the same reason. Nothing in it I could relate to.

I read that article in 1978 as that was when I changed over to M1 5-20 in my 1977 Dodge pickup Slant 6. Sure made starting easier in the very cold temps of Maine where I lived then.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Interesting that what we call "dino" oils today were called "mineral" oils back then.

What are Synthetic Oils?
A synthetic lubricant contains more highly refined base oils than those used in conventional mineral oils, offering you superior protection and performance. Synthetic engine oils provide a variety of benefits that keep your engine running at optimal performance for years.

Types of Engine Oil

1. Conventional mineral oils are the traditional types of engine oil and are still most widely used.

Just like Mobile says, Mobile 1 states their "synthetic" oil is nothing more then highly refined mineral oil. Mobile 1 is made from oil and the Mobile 1 sold in the USA could not legally be branded Synthetic in Germany.
In Germany synthetic means something other then oil, in the USA synthetic means "performs essentially like synthetic"

Bottom line, in the USA, synthetic or conventional are mineral oils. The words "Full Synthetic Oil" simply means highly refined enough to perform the same as synthetic, BTW some conventional are better at preventing wear then some synthetics and they are all rated with the same API SN.

Bogus info.

Danno said:

Full Synthetic PCMO in the US is usually taken to mean the incorporation of a mix of API Group III, synthesized PAO Group IV, and a small amount of synthesized Group V base oils.

Decades of brain washing by the media outlets.

What are Synthetic Oils?

Types of Engine Oil

If that brush was any broader I'd wager you wouldn't be able to push it
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by DBMaster
A good friend's father was a salesman who did a lit of driving. He started using Mobil 1 around 1975 and followed the 25,000 mile OCI back then. His engines lasted hundreds of thousand of miles. I started using synthetics in 1989 and immediately doubled the miles for my OCI. Nowadays I go farther than that. I've been sold for a long time.

Any idea what he paid for the M1 in those days …? If going from a 40 to a 20 … must have gotten a some back in fuel over such a long run …

When the original Mobil1 (5w-20) came out it was about $3.65 a quart. After about 1980 it jumped another $3.00 ($6.65) which was a huge amount of money for oil back then. Regular oil was $.45 to $.65 for a quart.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
When the original Mobil1 (5w-20) came out it was about $3.65 a quart. After about 1980 it jumped another $3.00 ($6.65) which was a huge amount of money for oil back then. Regular oil was $.45 to $.65 for a quart.
back then M1 oils really were so superior to the mineral oils of the day.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
That was a seminal moment in consumer usage of syn oils. Its like Mobil paid Pop Sci to put it on the cover or something. Did a lot to sell it. It hooked me back then.

Magazines are nothing but an advertising medium.

Compare an old Popular Mechanics from say 25 years ago or more to one today. If you think magazines were ads then, look now.
wink.gif
I cancelled my PM subscription because it's all ads. All the DIY stuff went to PM online for free. PopSci always was ads.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by DBMaster
A good friend's father was a salesman who did a lit of driving. He started using Mobil 1 around 1975 and followed the 25,000 mile OCI back then. His engines lasted hundreds of thousand of miles. I started using synthetics in 1989 and immediately doubled the miles for my OCI. Nowadays I go farther than that. I've been sold for a long time.

Any idea what he paid for the M1 in those days …? If going from a 40 to a 20 … must have gotten a some back in fuel over such a long run …

the 10W40s in the day were absolute dogs, chock full of the not so good in the day VIIs, and prone both to shearing, and to turning into a sump full of solid rubber....

Remember when HTHS was introduced that the xW40s (where x is 0W, 5W, or 10W) had a lower limit of 2.9 just like the 30s, they had the potential to be so bad.

M1 5W20 was formulated with zero VIIs, so was closer to Redlines philosophy, and had likely had an HTHS in the high 2s, similar to a modern 30 ILSAC.

https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/760854/preview/

M1 1978.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back