Pontiac Grand Prix Canister-Style Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMT

I'd like to ditch the airbox on my wife's 98 Grand Prix (w/ non-supercharged 3800) and replace it with an open canister-style filter similar to the famed BHAF used by Dodge/Ford diesel truck guys. I haven't been able to measure the space yet, but does anyone know off hand of a similar filter that will work? The stock box is missing one of the clamps that hold it closed (right now I've got a nylon cable tie reefed as tight as it can go holding the box shut) and I'm not sure how much I trust it's sealing even if all the right parts were there. Thanks for any help.

If you want to stay stockish, the 99 and up boxes have better flow. If you gutted it, you would increase the flow a lot compared to what the 97-98 box provides. Aside from that, you could do the FWI where you use PVC or ABS to move a cone filter into the fenderwell area

do a search at www.clubgp.com for gutted airbox and I think that you could find some info.

I used a filter from a 98 Chevy Pickup and a home made aluminum box. Like Shaman said use a 99+ box, it flows much better, in fact there have been people running 12s with a stock 99+ box.

Stay away from a FWI or K&N filter which allow way too much dirt into the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back