Help identify part in GM 3100 V6 engine bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a '96 Grand Prix, 3100 V6 engine with 4T60E transmission. It's a project car, I'm getting ready to pull the engine and making mental notes of what goes where, what I'm going to have to do to swap the L67 engine in it. So I've not actually taken anything apart yet, but there's a component I can't identify-- it's on the pass-side of the engine, has metal clips like an air filter box might have, except the air filter is on opposite side of the engine, as is the battery. It's right under a power distribution block and a brace, which I haven't taken off yet. It'll be awhile until I have the time to actually do any parts removal, but in the meantime do you guys know what the heck this might be?

The metal clips (one is circled in white in the photo) hold on a plastic cover much like an airbox. There is a small hole in the thin plastic, through which I can't see anything except what looks like black metal. Initially I though charcoal canister, but I'm not confident in that.

Anyone own a 3100 engine/car of this vintage can help tell what this is? Sorry for lame pictures, cell phone cameras still suck after 10+ years of making them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The PCM is housed inside that box.

No kidding? The Impala donor car I have has the battery in that location. Looks like I might be in for a wiring challenge!

I've done my fair share of engine conversion swaps....The devil is in the details!
I converted my 2001 Camaro from a L36 to a LM7 to a L92 without a V8 donor car....To get everything working properly is more labor intensive than ANY forum post will let on!

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
The PCM is housed inside that box.

No kidding? The Impala donor car I have has the battery in that location. Looks like I might be in for a wiring challenge!

Yes sir......I was working as a tech at a Cadillac/GMC/Pontiac dealer when that car was brand new! The only 1996 L67 car we sold was the Bonneville SSEi, Then the L67 equipped Grand-Prix GTP was available starting in 1997 which was a different generation car than your 1996 Grand Prix.

I'm not so sure the frontal air-flow capacity or the cooling stack design in general will support a L67? We had issues with the LQ1 DOHC 3.4L running warm in that chassis. And IIRC....the L67 GTP's had issues as well?

I'm not so sure the frontal air-flow capacity or the cooling stack design in general will support a L67? We had issues with the LQ1 DOHC 3.4L running warm in that chassis. And IIRC....the L67 GTP's had issues as well?

I briefly considered spending about $2k more on a Bonneville SSEi '96-99 with the L67, but the Bonneville exterior styling is not my thing. I bought this '96 GP as a project, but I have plenty of time and garage space to do it right-- I've heard of others make the L67 swap in a pre-97 GP but haven't seen one first hand. The potential issue with cooling I'll keep in mind. I should be able to monitor temps closely given this one has OBD2 and make upgrades if necessary.

Still trying to work out all the details before I even touch a wrench. I don't mind a challenge, should be a fun project and parts for these cars are dirt cheap. Everyone I know turns to fox-body Mustangs, I feel like being different I guess.

When I put a 2000 OHV motor in a 2004 ecotec cavalier (WHY?) the computers were in completely different places. It just made sense to leave them hooked up to their wiring harnesses and drape them over the engine when removed. There was an obvious bulkhead connector near the fusebox which was, nicely, pinned out the same. Ran 1st try, no codes.

Originally Posted by eljefino
When I put a 2000 OHV motor in a 2004 ecotec cavalier (WHY?) the computers were in completely different places. It just made sense to leave them hooked up to their wiring harnesses and drape them over the engine when removed. There was an obvious bulkhead connector near the fusebox which was, nicely, pinned out the same. Ran 1st try, no codes.

Yes, why would you? I've driven a lot of 2.2L OHV Cavaliers and I always liked that engine. It was smooth, efficient and didn't ever have to work too hard-- decent low and mid range torque for an engine of its size. I later drove a few 2.2L Ecotec Cavaliers, and they're on a whole 'nother planet power-wise. I think the engines lacked refinement though despite the inclusion of dual balance shafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back