GM 3100 to 3400 V6 swap - differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '96 Grand Prix with a bad head gasket or perhaps cracked head that I'll be working on getting running this spring. Have combustion gases in coolant, coolant burps out forcefully with radiator cap off and engine running (even cold engine). Lots of coolant getting into cyl 1 (even hydrolocked on me once preventing starter from turning engine over), I have wet plug spark plugs on at least two cylinders and coolant in oil. All these seem to indicate head gasket, not just intake gaskets as is usually the case with these. Oddly it passes a compression test and I get about 170 PSI in each cylinder.

I don't mind replacing the head gasket but for the amount of work it requires, my mind keeps wandering to engine swap. I'm not exactly thrilled with the 165hp the 3100 makes, so a 3400 or even 3800 upgrade makes sense depending on how complicated a swap gets.

GM 3.4L engines are plentiful, running examples can be had for less than $500 and should be a near direct swap (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm afraid a 3800 would be a much tougher time, I'm not even sure GM put the 3800 in these early 1.5 gen W-bodies, and not sure if they were put in front of a 4T60E tranny. In any event the 3800 would be more complicated than a 3400, and complication is something I'm trying to minimize!

Anyone have any experience with these cars or how similar a 3.4L and 3.1L might be? Assume wiring harness would need to be switched over, am I right? The 3400 was used with the 4T65E I think, compatibility with my 4T60E is a big unknown. Any information at all regarding this type of engine swap would be helpful.

The 3800 will probably fit, and if you're lucky, you can find a supercharged one
19.gif

Regardless of which one you end up using, replace the LIM gaskets and coolant elbows before installing in the car! Valve cover gaskets and ruthenium spark plugs are also a good idea.

The later Lumina retained the first-gen W-body chassis, and the 3800 was an option on it (replacing the DOHC LQ1)

The DOHC LQ1 was available on all first-gen W-bodies. If a huge DOHC will fit, the 3800 should fit with no problems.

The first-gen GM minivans used the combo of 3800 + 4T60E, and I think the full-size cars did, too

Going from a 3100 to 3400 is a very straight forward swap. It's been 15+ years since I did mine in a Chevy Beretta so my memory is fuzzy on the specifics. But attached is the manual I used and it should answer most of your questions.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 143
Last edited:
Originally Posted by alchargo
Going from a 3100 to 3400 is a very straight forward swap. It's been 15+ years since I did mine in a Chevy Beretta so my memory is fuzzy on the specifics. But attached is the manual I used and it should answer most of your questions.

The info available on BITOG continues to amaze.
thumbsup2.gif

Come join us at www.w-body.com forums , should be able to talk to a few more people who have done it.

The L67 is probably the most coveted engine you can put in there. 3800 Series III Supercharged.

But whether a stock 4T60-E would like that... And if you're already dealing with corrosion issues, you really need to think long and hard about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back