GM 3.1L V6 bad LIM gasket and/or head gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '96 Grand Prix 3.1L I purchased with full knowledge that it had overheating problems (PO wired it up so that cooling fan runs all the time). The fact that they rigged it in an attempt to keep driving it (and ignore an important repair) caused me to suspect it might be more than just the lower intake gasket which is such a common failure on these engines. Here is what I have observed so far:

The coolant looks okay under the radiator cap, but there is evidence of coolant boiling over/spilling out of the plastic coolant recovery tank. Inside the recovery tank is a sludgy mess, but this is not all that unusual a sight since many GM cars of that era used those pellets that would turn everything a gunky brown. So the existence of oil in the coolant is certainly possible but not confirmed.

There is coolant in the oil, how much is hard to tell, but it doesn't seem too bad yet (all coolant in oil is bad of course, but I've seen WAY worse).. The oil color has not changed appreciably from regular brown, but small streaks of light discoloration, enough that I can tell there is some coolant in it.

Pulled all the plugs today and performed a compression test. I started at the rear bank, immediately upon cranking the engine, a small but very noticeable amount of coolant shot out of the front cylinders, appeared to be 2 of the 3 cylinders in that bank. At least three of the plugs came out of the engine wet with coolant.

Compression on each cylinder is as follows: 170-170-170-170-190-167. After the compression test, I took the radiator cap off (not sure why, but glad I did) and it was VERY pressurized. The engine was stone cold, but the amount of pressure in there was similar to pulling the rad cap off a car you've driven for hours. I put the compression tester in one of the front cylinders and cranked the engine over with the radiator cap off. I was greeted with a glug, glug, glug of coolant that would pour out of the radiator on each engine revolution. That seems to indicate to me that the head gaskets are fubar, but I'm not certain.

I've only driven the car home from the dealer, but during that 25 mile trip there was no overheating and the engine was smooth as silk with no misfiring or anything unusual. Wouldn't a bad head gasket manifest itself as low compression in one or more cylinders? I don't know enough about the failure mode of the LIM gaskets to conclude if any of the above issues might be a result of the LIM gasket by itself.

Probably head gasket.

My mom had an 03' Buick Rendezvous with the 3.4L, basically the same engine. She overheated it and blew the head gasket (thermostat stuck). With a new thermostat she just carefully drove it. The upper radiator hose was super pressurized all the time, and you couldn't stop bleeding air out of the bleeder screw.

Exhaust gases getting into the coolant.

Hook up a coolant pressure tester to a cold engine on the radiator, don't pressurize it. Start the engine and see if it jumps up in pressure right away. Might be able to rent the tester from the auto parts store.

If you don't know the history behind it and you have average or above mechanical skills, take the preemptive strike and replace the LIM gasket and head gaskets. Years ago, I did that on my daughter's '98 Monte Carlo and she got a cheap car out of it.
Still, I was a happy man the day the scrap man took it off my hands.

I had a co worker that had a Grand am with a 3.4, the lim had been leaking externally for a while, he let it go too long, overheated it and appeared to have a blown head gasket.
I took the heads off, 1 gasket did look questionable, but 1 head had a noticeable crack. Got a junkyard set of heads and reassembled with new head bolts and Felpro gaskets.
It ran well the rest of the time I worked with him.
I would recommend taking the heads to a machine shop and have them cleaned and pressure checked.

The manifold is under vacuum. Merely a leaking manifold gasket would suck coolant into the engine but not blow stuff into the radiator. Pressure building rapidly in the radiator would mean it is a head gasket or a cracked engine.

Originally Posted by mk378
The manifold is under vacuum. Merely a leaking manifold gasket would suck coolant into the engine but not blow stuff into the radiator. Pressure building rapidly in the radiator would mean it is a head gasket or a cracked engine.

bingo.
time to pull heads or get a low miles engine and do a preemptive strike on the lim gaskets.
low miles engine might be better if p.o dumped all sorts of snake oil fix in a bottle stuff in it.
the whole cooling system is suspect at that point.

Definitely a head sealing issue whether a blown head gasket or cracked head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back