Pollution from car tires is killing off salmon on US west coast, study finds

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that is exactly why copper is being removed from brake friction material.

So whats next wooden brake pads. Honestly I wish these friggin rump swabs would find something better to do like going to work at a McDonalds drive up window.

Forgive me for not understanding a few of the ideas posed in this thread.

Science finds a link between a commonly used substance that ends up being distributed in the environment when a product is used in the way it is supposed to and what is supposed to be desirable living organisms and that organism prematurely dying.

Based on thoughts in this thread, the reactions are:
-Well, someone else is going to keep using it, so we should too. (Ie: India, China).
-Well, we find other things that are already banned in that organism, so what good will a ban on this do.
-Folks who do the science and find these connections are "friggin rump swabs".
-Its just going to result in a tax and nothing will change.

Just got some of cleaning testing results back with an area I work with. Copper in the runoff from the cleaning was at concentrations rivaling what comes from Acid mine drainage - which kills most everything in the water downstream of it. In this case, it ends up in a major source of drinking water. We find tons of zinc (from tire wear), Copper, Cadmium, etc... all from car and truck wear.

We can stick our heads in the sand and pretend that things that wear just "disappear" into the environment. Or we can acknowledge, particularly in very high traffic areas, the damage the wear products can inflict and do something about them.

If we can develop alternatives that work and don't send harmful products into the environment that don't need to be there, I'm failing to see the problem.

Under some of the logic here, we'd still be using leaded gas, leaded paint, asbestos in insulation, flooring material, siding, DDT everywhere, etc... and wonder why everything is dying and our life expectancy is stagnant or going in reverse.

Boy, that 6PPD dust is systemically toxic this is a canary in the coal mine.

A similar compound(antioxidant) is also used in tires, chewing gum, Ramen noodles , gasoline and other products.

Maybe we get it (synthetic antioxidants) out of human food first since it seems salmon don’t like the stuff?

But yet we never see it??????? I've always wondered where the tire dust went. You never see it anywhere. The only rubber I've seen is at race tracks.

It ends up microscopic dust that settles everywhere including in your lungs on Windows, in water, blowing through the air

Nature can only absorb so much of man's "BS".... Glad you posted this, but I fear until there are like 50,000 Salmon left...not many will care. Sad.

Forgive me for not understanding a few of the ideas posed in this thread.

Based on thoughts in this thread, the reactions are:
-Well, someone else is going to keep using it, so we should too. (Ie: India, China).
-Well, we find other things that are already banned in that organism, so what good will a ban on this do.
-Folks who do the science and find these connections are "friggin rump swabs".
-Its just going to result in a tax and nothing will change.
Too right. I agree 100% to all that and then some. This thread is going in the wrong direction now. Out.

Last edited:
This thread is devolving. Interesting story, but before it turns into politics or other prohibited posts, it's lock time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back