Polishing the ...plastic bumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
02' Grand Carvan. I waxed her up but I was curious about the bumper and front bumper. They appear to be plastic, is that right? If so can I wax it or protect it somehow?

If they are the same material as the Jeep Grand Cherokee cladding (which I assume they are, since it's all DC) then you can use any good trim and/or tire dressing. I use either Meguiars Trim & Tire dressing gel or Armor All Detailer's Advantage tire foam. Both leave a nice sheen and last pretty well.

Other good products are Turtle Wax Tire Wax, 303 Aerospace Protectant, Original Armor All, and Meguiar's Dash Foam. All will do the job quick and cheap. Be sure to buff off the excess, after application, to avoid runs.

If those parts are painted, you can wax them. Call your dealer's mechanics or a body shop to find out if the parts are painted. You can also inspect the parts and look for chips or scratches. If its painted, a different color will show where the chip or scratch is, because the paint got chipped or scratched off.

Adding to the above advice, if you can feel a texture on the cladding by running your fingernails on it, do not apply a wax. Instead apply a protective dressing like ZJ JIM suggested. The reason you do not want to wax it is because most waxes will leave a white residue that will be a bear to remove from the textured panels.

If the cladding is body color and glossy like the rest of the paint, you can go ahead and wax it like you would the rest of the vehicle.

Cliff Notes:

*Painted plastic that looks like the rest of the car - OK to wax.
*Textured plastic you can feel and see - Do not wax, use protectant instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back