Polish, not wax, for old paint!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not, there is a product out there that is made just for this cause; NU FINISH.
Forget all of that "how many car washes hype" it can go through. This polish is made to restore old paint. And, it works very well.

Try a medium cutting pad and turn the power up a little, the 3m starts of with larger cutting particles that beak down into finer polishing particles.
With a DA you can stay in one place a little longer but keep it moving just at a slower pace. Any pictures of this paint?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Believe it or not, there is a product out there that is made just for this cause; NU FINISH.
Forget all of that "how many car washes hype" it can go through. This polish is made to restore old paint. And, it works very well.

NuFinish is not a polish. It is a synthetic sealant, and not even the best one on Walmart's shelf.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

NuFinish is not a polish. It is a synthetic sealant, and not even the best one on Walmart's shelf.

When I attended a detail class by AUTO MAJIC the rep. for AM stated that it was a polish. He was comparing AM's polish product, Perfect Finish to NU FINISH. He stated they were both good "POLISHES" but the PF was more aggressive. He even did an actual comparison on a car hood. That's how I learned that NU FINISH "POLISH" was capable of restoring paint to a shine.
21.gif

BlueOvalFitter - in my original post I mentioned NuFinish. It did nothing for this paint

Trav - going back to the WheelerDealer video, I'm assuming the "dabbing the polish on the paint and spraying the applicator" is the way to go. From the photos, the upper panel is the one treated so far and there is a marked difference.

That's coming out really decent! More time will get it done. Long process that takes a lot of patience with paint this old and faded so it doesn't get damaged.

Gorgeous old car it looks like a survivor, the paint may be original? Original leather interior?

Last edited:
So, Meguiar's M7 Show Car Glaze vs. 3M Hand Glaze? Similar products, like comparing Colgate to Crest?

Should the 3M Hand Glaze be left overnight to seep in, as recommended for Meguiars?

Still testing & measuring!

I have no idea about Meguiar's products, they are far to gimmicky and DIY oriented for my liking. 3M makes very specific products and are targeted to commercial use where performance and results count without having 27 (no idea I just pulled that number out of my arse) different bottles.
Apply the 3M glaze in a polishing motion and wipe it off, leaving it will make it hard to remove. All this nonsense like "feeding the paint", "soaking in" and all the rest of it is advertising hype.

If paint were talc based like primer then sure all that is applicable but it isn't.
You are dealing with a lot of dead pigment there the way you are doing it slow and easy is the best way to go IMO rather than bite right into it and possibly burn through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back