Police push bars.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Saw this the other day:

30028_392835104141_583869141_4199490_7566065_n.jpg

And was inspired.

My truck is black on black, I think it will look slick.

Do you think it only mounts to the frame underneath or are there fasteners behind that bug guard?

Has a nice look, nicer than most CVPI bars.

Not to be a jerk, but aside from cosmetics, is there any reason your vehicle would need this modification?

I ask because you'd be making a collision even more dangerous than it already is with your vehicle. You're potentially looking at the difference between life and death for a pedestrian or occupant of a small car.

Just sayin'.

Originally Posted By: fsdork
Not to be a jerk, but aside from cosmetics, is there any reason your vehicle would need this modification?

Down here alot of people who drive manual cars have a bad habit of rolling backwards while waiting for those very long trafic lights so those bars would definitely come in handy.

IMHO I think those bars would look nice on any full size truck...I am thinking of putting a pair on my CVLX.

I ask because you'd be making a collision even more dangerous than it already is with your vehicle. You're potentially looking at the difference between life and death for a pedestrian or occupant of a small car.

Just sayin'.

They make a nice step for working underneath the hood. But other than that, pretty much just aesthetics. It's not like I'll be performing PIT manoeuvres with my SUV, LOL.

Also nice in parking situations... Somebody backs into the front of my truck, they aren't going to damage the truck.

Just be aware that push bars of this type often cause MORE damage to your vehicle in a moderate accident that if it wasn't there at all. You are essentially bolting a lever to the frame of the vehicle and will apply force directly to the frame in a motion that was unintended by the designers of the vehicle.

No offense, but in my opinion...absolutely pointless.

1.) Heavy. Balance of the car is shifted forwards. Payload capacity of the truck decreases.

2.) Looks are subjective.

3.) Like fsdork said, you further endanger the lives of others if a front end collision were to occur.

But whatever. They're not illegal.

I'd install one if I lived in a rural area where deer collisions occur frequently. I'd prefer one that protects the edges of the bumper and headlights better though.

Other than that, it does add weight in a bad location and has the potential to increase injury severity to others, especially in a pedestrian or T-bone collision.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
Just be aware that push bars of this type often cause MORE damage to your vehicle in a moderate accident that if it wasn't there at all. You are essentially bolting a lever to the frame of the vehicle and will apply force directly to the frame in a motion that was unintended by the designers of the vehicle.

I think this is less likely to happen on a large vehicle like an Expy, since its taller than a lot of other vehicles. It does often occur on CVs though, and I have heard of frame tweakage in accidents as low as 15mph.

The deer point is valid. I don't like seeing animals hurt or killed, but the deer is going to die either way. May as well not smash up the front end of your vehicle.

Had one on a work truck and smacked a doe doing 40mph.

Okay so it prevented major damage to the grill. But since that bar didn't have a support from behind the grill it got bent into the lip of the hood.

Never did get a replacement.

If it got support by the grill somewhere I'd get another.

They are useful if you drive off-road, and are very good to mount a winch on (if you get one designed for it). They can reduce minor damage in a fender bender/low speed accident, not a lot of good in a higher speed wreck. The painted/non-stainless steel ones are also prone to rust-out if you live in a cold-weather area & drive on salted roads. It's not exactly a push bar-those are spring-loaded and have rubber on the push sections, and you're too far off the ground with an Expedition to be pushing anything other than another 4X4 anyway.

I had a truck with one once. The only benefit I ever saw from it was in parking at Wal-Mart, where there is an open stall with a shopping cart in the way. It's good for gently pushing the cart out of the way while parking at the same time... as long as it is apparent that you're not damaging the cart.

For deer, eh, I've never encountered one although I live in the heart of deer country. The only thing I'm worried about if I hit a deer is to prevent the beast from coming through the windshield at me.

The deer point is valid. I don't like seeing animals hurt or killed, but the deer is going to die either way. May as well not smash up the front end of your vehicle.

Agreed. My Lincoln hit a deer and needed a fender.

I do a fair bit of driving to the east coast, and a fair bit of it is through areas with a LOT of deer.

Originally Posted By: dtt004
No offense, but in my opinion...absolutely pointless.

1.) Heavy. Balance of the car is shifted forwards. Payload capacity of the truck decreases.

2.) Looks are subjective.

3.) Like fsdork said, you further endanger the lives of others if a front end collision were to occur.

But whatever. They're not illegal.

This thing weighs 6200lbs anyway. I'm not too concerned about an extra 80lbs on the front-end, nor would I consider it affecting the vehicle's payload.

why o why are you guys calling these things bummpers? my 1965 chrysler 300 L NOW THATS A bummper. or my friends 1956 GMC pick up.

I like the look of the center bull bars and I think your black Expy will set it apart from others.

I personally have a center JAOS bull bar on my Sequoia with PIAA quattro lights and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back