Police cars without lights on going though red lights and stop signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm generally a big supporter of LEO but when they do this, all the time, it really rubs me the wrong way.

Scenario.

Driving down a slow city street one lane each way.

I'm in lane at a red light and a cop pulls up next to me on the right in a right turn only lane.
We make eye contact , give a little head nod .
He doesn't have any flashing lights or sirens on. (IF he did , absolutely check for traffic and go through the red light)

About 10 seconds later he inches forward, then goes though red light. ?
100 ft later there is another red light with an open right turn only lane.
He sits in the regular traffic lane.
I slowly follow behind him on the same street for the next 2 miles sitting at various lights.
He doesn't go through anymore red lights, or pass in turn only lane.

So if he obviously wasn't going anywhere in a hurry as evidenced by not continuing this pattern and not passing a single person for 2 more miles why the need to go through a red light?

If he was trying to get somewhere but for some reason didn't want to turn on lights and sirens why not continue to pass on right and go thorough red lights?

Is there any explanation other than he just wanted to do it?

What happens when the police car hits a kid wearing a dark shirt on a bike....Who had a walk signal and there were no flashing lights or sirens so the kid enters the intersection.

Mb it's just me but this kind of behavior is a prime example of police acting as if they are above the law.

Last edited:
I've seen it here. They will turn the lights on just until they are through the intersection and then turn them off. Not speeding to a call or anything but just not wanting to wait for the lights to change.

I don't agree with it for the reason you mentioned but it's not like we can do much about it in the moment.

Last edited:
Get a dash camera and report them every time it happens. If it keeps happening then upload to Youtube till others also take notice.

As some in the police say "if you did nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about...". So turn around is fair play then.

Id agree, start filming and worst case call the local news, they usually stir things up. I hate when cops act above the law bc of a piece of metal on their chest.

Official answer: "They rec'd a call for assistance but it got cancelled"
wink.gif

Unfortunately, cops can do whatever they want and don't have to worry about consequences.

They shouldn't be able to speed either without their lights on, but I see them do that all the time...

There have been a few fatalities/serious injuries in my neck of the woods because LEO's were conducting such nonsense. Thankfully the officers have been charged and/or convicted.

Originally Posted by grampi
They shouldn't be able to speed either without their lights on, but I see them do that all the time...

Me, too.

Yeah, they like to flash by at high speeds in the left lane. It's fun watching sometimes, they'll fly up on someone on the left lane and then those that are paying attention will move over right away and those that are clueless will take a minute or two before they notice that the state police is behind them and then move over. They just kinda wait back there. Sometimes when they're annoyed or maybe on a real call, they'll flash their lights briefly and the motorist will move over.

Cant stand our police here. They try to nail you for not doing a long enough stop. Taxation at its best. They never abide by the rules they enforce. All the respect in the world to those serving and protecting but all I see here is constant taxing.

I had a cop car ghost past me late one night, no lights on at all, gave me a good scare when i saw him next to me..as he proceeded ahead i flicked my lights...downright dangerous behavior..he was i suppose going to his next hiding spot on the highway...

I should also mention I've seen officers [censored] around with their phones while driving. Yes I realized they are trained but it's still a distraction and especially when they aren't responding to anything. That really bugs me because of the stiff penalties here for using handheld devices while driving.

I have seen all the stuff mentioned here (speeding, running red lights, general bad driving) from our local police and CHP. My beef is our local police take their motorcycles and literally sit on the sidewalk blocking it from people being able to use it. I guess their idea is to be able to catch people running red lights or not stopping for a right turn on red, but this seems ridiculous and actually rude to me.

They have been known to write tickets for people parking across the sidewalks here (part of their vehicle being in their driveway the other part blocking the sidewalk).

Yes I see them on their cell phones and/or using their laptops while driving also. One almost hit me by swerving into my lane. When I honked at him, he just waved and took off!
frown.gif

Originally Posted by oldmaninsc
I have seen all the stuff mentioned here (speeding, running red lights, general bad driving) from our local police and CHP. My beef is our local police take their motorcycles and literally sit on the sidewalk blocking it from people being able to use it. I guess their idea is to be able to catch people running red lights or not stopping for a right turn on red, but this seems ridiculous and actually rude to me.

They have been known to write tickets for people parking across the sidewalks here (part of their vehicle being in their driveway the other part blocking the sidewalk).

Yes I see them on their cell phones and/or using their laptops while driving also. One almost hit me by swerving into my lane. When I honked at him, he just waved and took off!
frown.gif

One time I think a cop pulled over by the side of the road just waiting for me to make a turn on red when there was a no turn on red sign. I just waited for the light and saw him on the side of the road further down. I think maybe he saw me pull up to the light and thought that maybe I'd just blow by it as he was driving by.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Yeah, they like to flash by at high speeds in the left lane. It's fun watching sometimes, they'll fly up on someone on the left lane and then those that are paying attention will move over right away and those that are clueless will take a minute or two before they notice that the state police is behind them and then move over. They just kinda wait back there. Sometimes when they're annoyed or maybe on a real call, they'll flash their lights briefly and the motorist will move over.

I've seen that a lot when driving through MA. The staties blast past you going 85-90 in the left lane.

Since I wasn't in the car, I don't know what was taking place. I'd just give him/her some grace and forget about it. They are putting their lives on the line to protect me and my family everyday and sadly, some are losing their lives. I do notice things that irritate me from time to time, but when I weigh out their value (good over bad) I just let it go and pray they catch the bad guys and live to retirement....

Last edited:
While I generally agree with you about them putting their lives on the line while on duty.
Who's lives are they putting on the line by blowing red lights without their sirens and or lights?
My children and neighbors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back