Pocket Knives

Thought this would be an interesting thread, if you have a collection. I got started a year or so ago, when I found 3 at a flea market/thrift shop in my area for cheap.

First, these two are my regular EDCs, a Beretta replica of a WW2 era knife. I love this one, its light and extremely compact, I don't even notice it in my pocket. It's also extremely sharp from the factory, and stainless. Made in Italy by Maserin.
beretta1.jpg
beretta2.jpg
beretta3.jpg

My other regular EDC is my Opinel Carbone no6. It's even lighter than the Beretta if a bit bulkier, but still almost unnoticeable in my pocket. I went with the carbon steel for myself and regularly oil the wood and blade with food-grade mineral oil. These are cheap, durable and simple. The twist blade lock is clever and works great. Made in France. These are also available with INOX/stainless blades as well.

opinel1.jpg

opinel2.jpg

Here's the rest of my collection, a Stahlwille cable knife (was my EDC but is just too large and heavy), an Opinel no10 for things that I need a bigger bladed for, and a couple interesting ones I found at the flea market or ebay. The top is stamped EC Magiano, made in Italy, nice compact stainless blade, bought on ebay.. Then are the two most interesting ones that I found at the flea market. The first is an IB of TCW & H. OFA Local 831. I am finding conflicting info when I search for this, the first part seems like Taxi, Chauffeur and Warehouse Teamsters union, but Local 831 turns up the NYC Sanitation Workers Union. Either way, a cool piece- stainless, made in Italy. Finally two more generic German-made carbon steel knives, one a multitool of sorts, I did a lot of work to clean this one up as best I could, it was really rusty and nasty when I got it. The case is also a bit beat up. The other is a Sea World San Diego souvenir knife. That one was also in rough shape and I was able to clean the blade up pretty well.

all.jpg
local8312.jpg
local8311.jpg
old1.jpg

That's the latest one. It replaces the same model I had been carrying for ten years until it got demoted to my tackle box after a hog chewed on it. Unlike most other SAKs this one has a locking blade.

I've got an assisted open Made in USA Buck that I'm going to be real upset when it gets lost some day... Its already been back to the factory once to have the opening mechanism replaced and Buck was great. Believe its no longer in production. I've been carrying it daily for 10+ years. Here's a link to a similar one on ebay.

I have a quite a few of this kind of cheapie knife. I keep them everywhere. I use them like disposables. You flick the blade open open with your index finger and the blade locks. There's a glass breaker and a belt cutter. I use those knifes like they were disposable.

Project Farm just covered this topic…..

That's what made me think of it actually. I think he was somewhat unfair to the Opinel personally,, it's a totally different type of knife than say the closest in price, the Smith and Wesson. It's much more compact and lighter, and I personally like carrying a knife that I don't even know is there, for the same reason I keep a wallet with as few cards in it as possible.

I have a quite a few of this kind of cheapie knife. I keep them everywhere. I use them like disposables. You flick the blade open open with your index finger and the blade locks. There's a glass breaker and a belt cutter. I use those knifes like they were disposable.

I have one of these "tactical" knives I got like 10 years ago too, but I found it just too large and heavy to carry daily. I keep it in the center console of my car.

That's the latest one. It replaces the same model I had been carrying for ten years until it got demoted to my tackle box after a hog chewed on it. Unlike most other SAKs this one has a locking blade.

That's gotta be the most insane knife I've ever seen in my life lol.

That's what made me think of it actually. I think he was somewhat unfair to the Opinel personally,, it's a totally different type of knife than say the closest in price, the Smith and Wesson. It's much more compact and lighter, and I personally like carrying a knife that I don't even know is there, for the same reason I keep a wallet with as few cards in it as possible.
I just watched that video during lunch today :D I've never seen that Opinel brand before. I like it, it looks light and comfortable as an EDC.
I carry a Buck 341 Vantage Avid, I like it so far.
0340FAM01_5.jpg

There was a previous thread on somewhat similar topic where I posted pics of some of mine...

The old Craftsman and Rheem were my Wife’s Grandfather’s knives. The Craftsman is very well worn and like all of his tools, has A.E. Inscribed on them. Art wanted everyone to know that those were his tools. I keep them both for sentimental value.
The Rusty Wallace knife (Case) was a gift from a Friend because I was a Rusty fan. Oh, we’re still Friends, so the old superstition isn’t true. 😂
Other than that, I don’t have anything except the Leatherman tool that I carry everywhere.
2985B180-6084-4C32-B9A3-F5386A5B7D58.jpeg
4E748AD2-7B4F-4E53-87FB-888D14310584.jpeg
AA32C9F3-9D47-43BA-B2D9-AB3F40090454.jpeg
C905938D-83EE-475B-ADCF-5CA75E826762.jpeg

I've carried an Opinal for years...currently have a No9, just a bit bigger than my old No8, which I still have. The carbon blade is always sharp, and you never notice them in your pocket. No8 is 30 years old, still sharp, but broke the tip too many times...I'm more careful with the No9.

My Laguiole multi-function knife with rosewood scales. The rather thin and flexible blade is hollow-ground like straight razor blade which you can't tell in those photos. 11 functions. The Philips screwdriver is hiding behind the cork screw. 90mm without the eye.

free pic hosting

The old Craftsman and Rheem were my Wife’s Grandfather’s knives. The Craftsman is very well worn and like all of his tools, has A.E. Inscribed on them. Art wanted everyone to know that those were his tools. I keep them both for sentimental value.
The Rusty Wallace knife (Case) was a gift from a Friend because I was a Rusty fan. Oh, we’re still Friends, so the old superstition isn’t true. 😂
Other than that, I don’t have anything except the Leatherman tool that I carry everywhere.
View attachment 88753View attachment 88754View attachment 88755View attachment 88756
Vintage Leatherman!!! I have a similar one that was my dad's. He broke the tip off the knife, and I have been hesitant to ever get it repaired. They're honestly a great tool that fits well in the pocket, better than modern multitools!

This Spyderco has been my EDC for the last 12 years or so. I am thinking of a CIVIVI Mastodon for a change. I cut a lot less nylon than I used to.

Attachments

• 20181110_203442.jpg
    20181110_203442.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 8
Back