Pocket knife recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume this is the place to ask. A couple years ago I got my father a knife (Buck was the brand, I believe) that he absolutely loved. I think it was more the fact that I bought it for him than anything. Well, a week ago he was using it to try and pry something out and broke the tip off. He was a little upset at himself for using it in a way that it wasn't really meant for and breaking it, but I'd like to get him a nice replacement.

So, my question is what brand knife do you gentlemen (and possibly ladies) recommend I buy? I'm looking for a standard pocket knife. Nothing big, but not a tiny one either. Preferably something with a sold design (not a bunch of holes in it) that can be engraved with his initials because that is what I did with his other one. I'd like to get him something durable and dependable with a nice classy look to it. (no camo hunting knives or anything like that
lol.gif
) Price is not a huge issue, though I don't want to spend a couple hundred on it. Probably anywhere below $75 would be fine, but I would prefer to keep it at a lower price so that I can afford other gifts for him
55.gif

Thanks in advance!

I have a nice Schrade Old Timer folding pocket knife that I bought at my local True Value hardware store a couple of years ago. I only paid $22-$25 for it and it has been a great knife. Case makes good pocket knives also.

look up smokey mountain knife works. They have knives from 4.99 to a few hundred. They sell case, buck etc. Hen and Rooster knives from germany are excellent too. Once you order, you will get catalogs a few times a year.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys. I'll check out the recommendations. 2010_FX4, The first one is very close to what I'm looking for, but the black handle doesn't leave much to engrave. If it were solid metal, it would be perfect.

Edit: Very nice site recommendation spasm3, that site is loaded with knives, and they accept paypal. I love that in online stores. It keeps my credit card info safe. I know a few people who have purchased things online using their credit card number only to have random out-of-state charges appear down the road.

Still looking for more specific recommendations, but I may have a nice website to order from now.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
I'd reccomend Ugly Stick brand fishing rods.

As our Police Commissioner told us when they introduced the (stupid) new knife laws..."If you've got a knife in your pocket, you [censored] well better have a rod over your shoulder"

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Here is a collector's item from back in the day:

Case XX Sharktooth

Perhaps not fully engraveable, but a nice knife nonetheless.

Wow, that's probably not the kind of knife my dad is looking for, but I sure as heck would carry it. That is nice...might have to invest in one of those some day.

Originally Posted By: nazareth
benchmade or sog

I've heard good things about sog. Most are more tactical than I'm looking for though.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'd reccomend Ugly Stick brand fishing rods.

As our Police Commissioner told us when they introduced the (stupid) new knife laws..."If you've got a knife in your pocket, you [censored] well better have a rod over your shoulder"

Where do you live? Because I don't want to make the mistake of moving there.
lol.gif

Once again, Thanks everyone. My searching will be much easier with some good starting points and brand names.

I'm not sure if you want something in a single lock blade, like the Kershaw link above, or if you & I mean the same thing by a "regular" pocket knife- something with 2 or 3 blades, with no blade lock.

For single lock blades- Kershaw & Benchmade are my 2 favorites, but there are lots of nice choices out there, including Buck & Gerber.

For "regular" pocketknives- maybe something in a trapper, stockman, or small version of the hunter pattern, from about 3 1/4" to a little over 4" long when closed. Case & Buck offer some nice ones, and the Schrade & Old Timer names have been picked up by someone now.

Some offer a small plate inset into one side of the handle specifically for engraving initials- this may be easier to find with a Case or Buck. Smoky Mountain is a good company to deal with, I've ordered from them several times over the years & have never had any problems.

Good luck, & let us know what you choose!

PS: for a nice extra, consider also getting him a Swiss Army Knife, either Victorinox or Wenger. Something with scissors, like a V-nox Climber or Explorer, is hard to beat for all around usefulness. Or if you'd like to trade some bells & whistles for ruggedness, consider the old style, Alox-handled Soldier or Farmer models. Most Vnox or Wenger models are reasonably priced, the handiest thngs you ever saw, & he won't feel so bad if he breaks the point off the awl on the SAK!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
look up smokey mountain knife works. They have knives from 4.99 to a few hundred. They sell case, buck etc. Hen and Rooster knives from germany are excellent too. Once you order, you will get catalogs a few times a year.
Agreed. I have personally been there a few times and it is awesome!!

Originally Posted By: DT466E_bus
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Agreed. I have personally been there a few times and it is awesome!!

I have dreams about that store. It's my #1 favorite store in the Smoky Mountains area. If you want it, chances are they have it. Anything from pure junk to highly collectible stuff.

Try a gerber lst. Nice pocketknife. 2 1/4" blade, locks. Single blade. Stainless in a very solid handle. I have had one for several years and it will get very sharp and stay sharp.

Example of LST

Dan

It's hard to go wrong with stockman or trapper style knives from Case or Buck. They're relatively small so they don't take up much room in your pocket but the blade is decent size. They are also made of decent steel so they hold an edge well.

I have Buck, CRKT, Gerber, and Shrade. All have been good to me. I don't use them too often anymore. The Buck I've had (and used) for 20+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back