Pocket knife oil

I've been using many different oils on my pocket knifes for years with fine success. Lately I tend to go with either Breakfree LP (now called Synthetic Gun Oil) or Super Lube Multi Use Synthetic Oil with PTFE. This isn't about THE BEST KNIFE PIVOT OIL, though 💩

I really like the Super Lube, seems to work well for this and many applications plus its food safe and generally polymer safe. I see they offer a lightweight version in multiple viscoscities and I was wondering if anybody can offer suggestions here. Not really sure how light I want to go. Thoughts? The plain old Super Lube synthetic oil I'm using now seems to be rated as an ISO 100 and equivilent to SAE 85.

Attachments

• SL SO.jpg
    SL SO.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 12
  • SL LW.jpg
    SL LW.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11
Again, not trying to open a debate and which oil is the uber-knife oil just looking at some feedback on these weights as I don't really have a good reference for how different they will be.

I don’t understand the idea of different weights (grades) of oil for a knife. They are under no stress at all.

If you are using your knife on food then you do want a food safe product. My knives don’t get used for that purpose so I just use a small drop of whatever motor oil I have on hand. I use a toothpick to retrieve and apply a single drop into the pivot area. It works great.

Really doubt weight makes any difference in how well the knife works. Choose one that is food safe, and know you’re taking better care than most knife owners.

You said your question was not in regard to pivot lube. Is this about oil as a corrosion inhibitor? Since a pocket knife is usually handled with bare hands I'd want a non-toxic product that doesn't go rancid. Highly refined white mineral oil or Ballistol (mineral and seed oil). Linseed oil might be good because it dries down and sticks well but it stinks. Raw linseed oil is not toxic, boiled is toxic. Linseed oil is a good rust inhibitor.

Last edited:
I don’t know why I never thought to look into a specific pocket knife lube. I’ve used pocket knives daily in all weather conditions and I’ve always used some form of firearm lube since I always have some around.

Back