Plumbing question - leaking faucet cold weather

I have an old house. My main bathroom tub faucet, 1st floor and above crawl space (which gets chilly but not freezing), seems to drip during very cold temps (below say 35F). It is really bizarre. It will only do that if I use the faucet during those cold snaps. I have experimented. Also, it does not drip in warm weather/summer.

I have not needed to turn any water off in the house or crawl space as it seems fairly well insulated from freezing. No evidence of frozen pipes being a issue in this nearly 100 year old house.

So, bathroom tub faucet. In cold temps, it won't drip. Until I use it. Then it starts dripping and won't stop dripping until 2 events: A warm spell and I use the faucet again.

Example:
1. Very cold temps alone will not cause it to drip. It's not until I use it during cold temps that it will start dripping.
So it requires cold temps + use to start dripping. The only cure for the dripping seems to be warm temps + use.

2. The reverse is true. If it starts dripping (after I use it in cold temps), it will not stop dripping even in warm temps, until I again use it. That course of action (warm temps + use) will stop the dripping.

It's really puzzling. I'm struggling to understand why using it in cold weather would start the drip, and then the only cure is warm weather plus using it. If not cost prohibitive I'd like to fix it.

Any plumbers here or experienced folks having a similar issue? And is there an easy fix?

(Note also, when it drips it's about 5 gallons per day. I don't lose any of that water, I put a bucket under the faucet and use that water to flush and fill my toilet tank so as to not waste water. It's conservation, but it's a hassle.)

Replace the seal
2020_seal_cmyk.jpg

But I love him so much!

• Haha
Reactions: hrv
A new Gulfstream jet I know of leaks fuel from the single point refueling plumbing when it's -21 outside, but does not leak any other time. The O-rings get cold and don't seal. Many polymers and synthetic rubber seals fail at cold temps.

I have an old house. My main bathroom tub faucet, 1st floor and above crawl space (which gets chilly but not freezing), seems to drip during very cold temps (below say 35F). It is really bizarre. It will only do that if I use the faucet during those cold snaps. I have experimented. Also, it does not drip in warm weather/summer.

I have not needed to turn any water off in the house or crawl space as it seems fairly well insulated from freezing. No evidence of frozen pipes being a issue in this nearly 100 year old house.

So, bathroom tub faucet. In cold temps, it won't drip. Until I use it. Then it starts dripping and won't stop dripping until 2 events: A warm spell and I use the faucet again.

Example:
1. Very cold temps alone will not cause it to drip. It's not until I use it during cold temps that it will start dripping.
So it requires cold temps + use to start dripping. The only cure for the dripping seems to be warm temps + use.

2. The reverse is true. If it starts dripping (after I use it in cold temps), it will not stop dripping even in warm temps, until I again use it. That course of action (warm temps + use) will stop the dripping.

It's really puzzling. I'm struggling to understand why using it in cold weather would start the drip, and then the only cure is warm weather plus using it. If not cost prohibitive I'd like to fix it.

Any plumbers here or experienced folks having a similar issue? And is there an easy fix?

(Note also, when it drips it's about 5 gallons per day. I don't lose any of that water, I put a bucket under the faucet and use that water to flush and fill my toilet tank so as to not waste water. It's conservation, but it's a hassle.i
The stems need to be rebuilt.

It will depend on what kind of faucet you have. If it’s the old style then it’s likely the washer under the handle. Shut off the water and remove the handle to get to it. Pull it and find a matching replacement. Make sure the area where the washer sits is clean.

If it’s a newer faucet then you have to access the valve body which may or may not be replaceable.

If you know the brand of faucet you could do s some searches to help yourself out.

It will depend on what kind of faucet you have. If it’s the old style then it’s likely the washer under the handle. Shut off the water and remove the handle to get to it. Pull it and find a matching replacement. Make sure the area where the washer sits is clean.
Yep, in my 80 year old house, the original faucets for showers & bath can be disassembled and the sealing gaskets replaced. And the hardware store down the street has gaskets of various diameters & thicknesses so it's easy to find the right one. Makes them work like new again (if it doesn't have any other problem).

Yep, in my 80 year old house, the original faucets for showers & bath can be disassembled and the sealing gaskets replaced. And the hardware store down the street has gaskets of various diameters & thicknesses so it's easy to find the right one. Makes them work like new again (if it doesn't have any other problem).

You should be good to go with new seals as long as the race is still in good shape.

A lot of people haven’t dealt with these old faucets much these days. One tip for longevity is to close the faucets gently. Applying lots of pressure on the handles to shut the water off wears the seals prematurely.

If the race is gouged I have seen and used emery paper to try to correct. If that doesn’t work then its probably time for a new faucet.

Valves and seats shrink in size when exposed to cold temperatures. Also, O-Rings, gaskets and rubber seals harden when exposed to those same cold temperatures. This is just a simple fact. Both can create a slight leak. Replacing the seals will certainly not hurt anything, and as others have mentioned, might solve the problem.

But seeing as this is only a cold weather problem, for an easier and quicker fix, you might try wrapping the pipe and base of the faucet with a short section of plumbing heating tape. This stuff is frequently used in the mobile home industry, to keep the above ground plumbing they contain, from freezing in cold climates.

It is inexpensive, easy to work with, and comes in various sizes, lengths, wattages, and heat outputs. I can't see the condition you have, but you could run an extension cord to a nearby outlet, and put a simple plug in switch on it. And only turn it on when the outside temperature requires it. This type of heating tape is approved for these kind of applications, and is waterproof, should it get wet.

Last edited:
Back