Plumbing Costs - New Construction Home

So I’m building a new home in northern Kentucky, right across the river from a historic Indiana river town.

I’m in the process of taking bids for plumbing. Any plumbers here that can chime in on the rates I should be expecting? Most are quoting the job as a “per hole” (there are 19) price and I supply fixtures, hardware, and water heaters/softeners. What is a reasonable price per “hole”?

Any plumbers that can weigh in on what to expect? So far I have one quote back and waiting for 3 more.

the home is a new construction 1.5 story 3 bed 3.5 bath with a kitchen sink and a laundry tub sink. Dry 4 block crawlspace with pea gravel and Vapor barrier installed.

thanks in advance!

What kind of pipe are they using? Choices currently are PEX, CPVC, and copper. CPVC is the most common around here these days. Copper seems to be too expensive now.

What kind of pipe are they using? Choices currently are PEX, CPVC, and copper. CPVC is the most common around here these days. Copper seems to be too expensive now.
IIRC also pex a b c although C isnt used for residential(afaik) B is easy, and A is sort of the best...

I use pex B alot with crimper and its making water lines ez mode.
would never use cpvc ever again.

Copper is still the standard but might as well be GOLD for the prices.

Any prices you get for plumbing on this forum are essentially useless. Get your quotes in and then you will know. And stay away from the lowest quote. Throw out the highest and lowest quote. Make a decision based on references from the middle two.

Last edited:
Any prices you get for plumbing on this forum are essentially useless. Get your quotes in and then you will know. And stay away from the lowest quote. Throw out the highest and lowest quote. Make a decision based on references from the middle two.
This is what I’m planning to do. Just asking if there are any plumbers here and what their general cost range is per “hole” for new construction projects.

I am a plumber and do not charge by the "hole". Too many variables. Some homes have multiple shower heads, steam units, long runs, underfloor basement excavation, etc.

Donny, I have had multiple issues with plumbing work, so much so I am now a DIY plumber using PEX A.

My experience when it comes to plumbers is to avoid the BSers, and be happy to pay a premium for a true professional. Having to redue a natural stone shower pan because a plumber was careless is something one never wants to do. It was something I had to do, and you won't know you have a problem until the tile is installed and the shower has been used a few times, which is ling after the plumber has been paid and gone.

IIRC also pex a b c although C isnt used for residential(afaik) B is easy, and A is sort of the best.

would never use cpvc ever again.

boy you got that right! I used CPVC on our last hot water tank. Last weekend my wife got messing around in the closet and leaned on it, 🌊. Instant fountain spraying everywhere.. I put PEX back on ,so easy and won’t snap🤯 off.

10 years I was living at a friends house we had lead water pipe from street.
and the bathroom(2nd story) was black iron, copper, cpvc and galvanized all in same bathroom.. under tile floor.

cpvc cold water pipe cracked a joint randomly in middle of floor and started intermittant waterfall out downstairs kitchen cupboards.

took awhile to figure it out.. only leaked when you flushed toilet.

Thank you harbor freight occilating tool and inspection camera.

I have also replaced cpvc on 5+ well tank/pump setups with pex B.. it is soo much nicer to work with.

Last edited:
Give some thought to plumbing layout, repair-ability and flow rates.

In my case, I made sure to use 3/4 inch copper plumbing and 3/4 inch ball valves for my hose bibs (for high flow), I also used 3/4 inch plumbing for my 6 showerhead main shower. Everything else is 1/2 inch. Note: I'm in South FL, so there is no risk of freezing.

The mistake was not centrally locating the water heater and not paying careful attention to the plumbing layout. Leading to a 5 gallon draw before hot water arrives at my shower. The shower hot water goes to my kitchen sink manifold first, which is at the other side of the house, the manifold is buried inside the kitchen walls. So imagine the expense and extensive drywall repairs when I had to cap it off, and re-plumb due to a leak under the slab. (I suspect a lightning strike caused the leak) (it fried a lot of stuff in my house)

If I were to do it again, I'd use PEX and direct runs to each location.

As Cujet said, make sure you are giving some thought to how the plumbing is laid out and make sure you are getting bids that are using the same sizes, materials, etc.

My house has 1 1/4” copper into the house, 3/4” runs of PEX and then it gets sized down to 1/2” just before the fixture. Consider adding an outdoor hot/cold hose bib in the garage as well as using 3/4” outdoor bibs. I’d also give some serious consideration into the heat pump water heaters as well (very efficient, adds dehumidification to the basement or wherever you install it). Your local utility may have good rebates on them. If you are ever going to add a pool I’d have a 3/4” ball valve exterior hose bib that is before the pressure regulator for quicker filling of the pool each spring.

Sorry, can’t help with pricing but figured I’d chime in with some considerations that are easy to add now.

What are they quoting for your place then? We just did the plumbing for our place ourselves with pex and paid a plumber friend to sketch out the waste system with a few tips. The plumbing guy at home depot designed our well and pressure tank system too, and its been good for 18 years now. It wasn't really that difficult as we just did a manifold system for supply, and waste is either vertical or sloped 1/4" a foot with a few cleanouts that we haven't had to use yet, and the vent stack. We didn't do the electric and the electrician priced per outlet, so needless to say he was meticulous about following code and we have lots of outlets! not a bad thing sometimes.
Around here right now, quotes would be crazy I think, as its real estate mania at the moment. Pulling pex in a big house isn't the easiest thing either if the fixtures are farther apart.

Back