Plumber rate

Had a plumber come and work on the toilet in the basement, needed new inlet valve which normally I could do but I wanted a shut off valve installed which it never had. He shut water off at main valve (another thing I don't like messing with) put new inlet valve, flapper in tank and shutoff valve on the inlet pipe.

Charge me $180 which I gladly paid but does that sound right?

Last edited:
Expect $100-150 minimum to have a professional come to your home or business as a start. $180 for the service call + parts sounds perfectly reasonable.

These numbers will no doubt vary, and likely drastically, in different parts of the country.

Had a plumber come and work on the toilet in the basement, needed new inlet valve which normally I could do but I wanted a shut off valve installed which it never had. He shut water off at main valve (another thing I don't like messing with) put new inlet valve, flapper in tank and shutoff valve on the inlet pipe.

Charge me $180 which I gladly paid but does that sound right?
Yes for a real plumber, but that's basically also handyman stuff so a handyman would have been much cheaper.

Cheapest plumber I can get around here is about $110/hour from a firm. I used to have one that did work on the side and he used to be $50/hour, but I think he turned into a drunk and disappeared. I've gotten quotes of up to $150-$180/hour for a plumber.

$20 in parts so that sounds about right. most plumbers in my area won't walk out the door for less than $150. licensed handymen are not much cheaper at $100 an hour

$20 in parts so that sounds about right. most plumbers in my area won't walk out the door for less than $150. licensed handymen are not much cheaper at $100 an hour
Handymen typically aren't licensed and you need a plumber's license to be considered licensed. My is about $30/hour but he likes to work a full day so if it's just a couple hours he won't even bother showing up. I usually have a few things that can wait and have him do a bunch of stuff at a time.

Cheap honestly, just to get someone to drive to your house for under $200.

My oil burner guy used to be $99 for an off-season cleaning (which I'm sure he booked by neighborhood to be more efficient) but that was ten years ago now.

For Nebraska sounds about right. Be glad you don't live in California or the North East and areas along the east coast incuding the metro DC area and north.

I get it's an easy job, I have done a few in the past but I don't like messing with the main valve that feeds the whole house without a plumber around. Now it's got a shut off valve I can fix it next time. It's in the basement and doesn't get as much use as the upstairs so it won't be any time soon.

I trust this guy and he has always come the same day I call, always. At one time he was one of the bigger plumbing heating AC companies in town then he sold the HVAC part and only retained on guy to help with the plumbing, he says he's a much happier person.

With small contractors around here on a couple big jobs I had them estimate were charging over $300- 400/ hr labour and incredible materials markup. Insane
I was thinking $7K on the high side and they came back $22K for a two man 2 -1/2 day job.
So I convinced a master cabinet maker and carpenter friend - who had then just retired- to give me a hand on this job over a weekend.
Did it for well under 7 grand and that was (gladly) paying my talented friend $300 per day

So they are picking and choosing jobs where they can ravage they typical clueless homeowner sheeple who will pay this
" thats what it costs I guess"

Duffyjr - that seems like a proper and reasonable charge for the professional service provided

For Nebraska sounds about right. Be glad you don't live in California or the North East and areas along the east coast incuding the metro DC area and north.
Yeah, I paid someone $450 to solder in a shower valve while the bathroom was already torn down. He was the cheapest quote too. All of the other ones were in the $550-$700 range.

Yeah, I paid someone $450 to solder in a shower valve while the bathroom was already torn down. He was the cheapest quote too. All of the other ones were in the $550-$700 range.
I've standardized on Symmons for my shower valves. Still every once in a while they completely rust out and I have to replace them. I always get the ones with the internal stops to shut off the water, up to $150 now, used to be $100 years ago. Lately after 8-10 years, you have to rebuild them as they start leaking. I've repaired a few lately, just watch a few youtube videos. Symmons is actually pretty good about their lifetime warranty, I've emailed them and they've sent me the part, but you could easily spend $50-$70 at home depot for the replacement parts. Handyman rate is basically one or two hours to replace the valve. I guess $450 isn't bad if that included the valve, but your labor rates tend to be sky high normally.

Back